Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Now that I've seen Chain Reaction and Starface in full  (Read 19340 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Now that I've seen Chain Reaction and Starface in full
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2006, 06:41:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Moe Train\' post=\'126560\' date=\'Aug 7 2006, 03:23 PM\']
It gives a chance for those who are behind to catch up and win if they are good enough, but it's true about the foregone conclusion.  If a team is doing that bad, and gets all the way to zero, the game is done.
[/quote]
But the point everyone is making, Moe, is that there are about a billion ways to do a final round so that a team still has a way to make up ground and come from behind that DON'T involve a broken betting system that makes for an anticlimactic finish.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Moe Train

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2006, 07:02:44 PM »
Without giving anything away, I guess I'm just referring to my personal experience on the show.  I haven't watched all the other shows, so I dunno...

One thing that IS messed up is during the final round... Note how long it takes for the next word to come up after a team gets the right word.

clemon79

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2006, 07:39:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Moe Train\' post=\'126562\' date=\'Aug 7 2006, 04:02 PM\']
One thing that IS messed up is during the final round... Note how long it takes for the next word to come up after a team gets the right word.
[/quote]
Oh, believe me, I've noted. That bugs me too.

Moe Train

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2006, 11:49:46 PM »
Like i said, I'll add more about that AFTER our show airs. haha...

BrandonFG

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2006, 10:28:49 PM »
Bumped since I finally saw a full episode of Starface.

Interesting show, but seems a lot like On The Cover, except Cover had more structure, and looked more like a traditional game show. Face is a little looser IMO. Danny could stand to let the contestants shine here, but he's tolerable, seems quick on his feet. Like Chain, it's not appointment television, but something mildly entertaining after a night at work. I give it a B-

Chain is growing on me, I just wish the contestants would stop passing so damn much in the bonus round.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2006, 05:08:04 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'127114\' date=\'Aug 11 2006, 07:28 PM\']
Bumped since I finally saw a full episode of Starface.

Interesting show, but seems a lot like On The Cover, except Cover had more structure, and looked more like a traditional game show. Face is a little looser IMO. Danny could stand to let the contestants shine here, but he's tolerable, seems quick on his feet. Like Chain, it's not appointment television, but something mildly entertaining after a night at work. I give it a B-[/quote]To me, it wouldn't matter if they got Tom Kennedy, Mark L. Walberg and Bil Dwyer to tag team host the game, it's still Chock Full O'Tossups. Tossups for 50 points, followed by a doubling of the points, and just for grins, another doubling of the points. No choosing of categories, or anything. Just a buzzer battle every single time.

I don't mind buzzer battles one bit, but give me either a) interesting material or b) and interesting game. Star Face delivers neither.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2006, 12:00:06 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'127137\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 05:08 AM\']I don't mind buzzer battles one bit, but give me either a) interesting material or b) and interesting game. Star Face delivers neither.[/quote]
I could personally take or leave Starface.  It's absolutely a lousy game, but if you're into celeb trivia and the whole People/Us/Enquirer mindset, I can certainly see its appeal.  In other words, Travis, while you might not find the material interesting, there may be an audience that does.  And at least as opposed to the Dylan-bot, Danny Partridge (I think he should go back to his stage name) is trying to have some fun.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLW

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2006, 12:18:54 PM »
While I do agree that Bonaduce is much better than Dylan, I think it's just that Dylan is a little nervous for the first few tapings. During when the cameras were off at our taping, he seemed much more relaxed, made more jokes, the like. When he warms up to the camera, he may actually be better. I'm not keeping my hopes up, but you never know...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 12:19:16 PM by PYLW »

WhammyPower

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2006, 12:32:12 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'127156\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 11:18 AM\'] When he warms up to the camera, he may actually be better.[/quote]
He's had plenty of time for that at Fuse.  If he hasn't warmed up by now... well, he probably won't.

tvwxman

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2006, 04:05:03 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'127158\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 12:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'127156\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 11:18 AM\'] When he warms up to the camera, he may actually be better.[/quote]
He's had plenty of time for that at Fuse.  If he hasn't warmed up by now... well, he probably won't.
[/quote]

THANK YOU!

Best comment on the board regarding Mr. Lane. He wasn't plucked off a street to host a game show. His experience hosting live, audience shows on Fuse suggests he should be A LOT looser, and yet....just....isn't.

I remember watching the pilot, thinking Tim Vincent SHOULD be better at this than he appeared...due to the exp he has interacting with others on Access....

Props to Davies for looking for new talent. Props to Davies taken away for either not looking in the right places, or settling.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

marilyn037

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2006, 04:33:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'127178\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 04:05 PM\']

Props to Davies for looking for new talent. Props to Davies taken away for either not looking in the right places, or settling.
[/quote]

Chain Co-executive producer Jen Kelly didn't know a whole lot about game show history seven years ago when she had her first game show job, as a production assistant/contestant coordinator on ABC WWTBAM when it premiered. I know some of us taught her a thing or two, I think it caused her mouth to drop. Congrats to her on moving up in the ranks at such a young age.

tvwxman

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2006, 06:12:51 PM »
[quote name=\'marilyn037\' post=\'127180\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 04:33 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'127178\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 04:05 PM\']

[/quote]

Chain Co-executive producer Jen Kelly didn't know a whole lot about game show history seven years ago when she had her first game show job, as a production assistant/contestant coordinator on ABC WWTBAM when it premiered. I know some of us taught her a thing or two, I think it caused her mouth to drop. Congrats to her on moving up in the ranks at such a young age.
[/quote]
First off, welcome.

Second off, who's 'we' in terms of 'some of us taught her a thing or two'?

I've met Jen. She's a nice person, and a capable showrunner. But her history of games is limited, and her abilities as an EP seem to be tailor made to how she can run a program efficiently, not how to run a game show creatively.

Again, thank gawd we have Davies, who (mostly) knows game shows well, and has a love for the genre. I for one am grateful he's trying to make steady contributions to television.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Moe Train

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2006, 12:05:42 AM »
Jen was really cool when we were on the show.  Professional and personable...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2006, 09:34:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'127152\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 09:00 AM\']I could personally take or leave Starface.  It's absolutely a lousy game, but if you're into celeb trivia and the whole People/Us/Enquirer mindset, I can certainly see its appeal.  In other words, Travis, while you might not find the material interesting, there may be an audience that does.  And at least as opposed to the Dylan-bot, Danny Partridge (I think he should go back to his stage name) is trying to have some fun.[/quote]I don't doubt that there's an audience for the sort of material being used, after all, you can go through the supermarket checkout line and see just how many variations on a theme are passing as magazines these days. Even "Millionaire" spends a week out of their year doing "Celebrity Scoop."

That's not my issue, though. There's two parts to the "game show", the game and the show. Star Face fails on both parts. "World Series..." on VH1 manages to score a passing grade on both counts. The format is something that's been on Seattle radio stations for twenty years or so (down to three questions per side and the "Seesaw" tiebreaker) as "Battle of the Sexes", but the material is at least interesting. The show aspect has interesting teams, and the tense knockout mechanic that builds to a climax by the end of the show.

Star Face had a trio of contestants identifying Dolly Parton from a cropped photo of her chest while Danny gave clues to her. Which is...well, not great, but it would at least be interesting to watch if there were follow-up bonus questions for the first scorer, or a game board with categories to choose from. Give me something besides three rounds of toss-up questions. There's no "show" at all.

The third thing, Danny does seem to be at home with the celebrity-driven format, and in the one episode I saw he was able to poke fun at his own status in that realm. He's absolutely the right kind of host for the program, but that's about the only good thing about it, and only moderately so at that.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2006, 10:36:34 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'127326\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 06:34 AM\']
Star Face had a trio of contestants identifying Dolly Parton from a cropped photo of her chest while Danny gave clues to her.
[/quote]
Someone needs to Photoshop up a composite of the person made from all of the body parts used on this show. So far we've got Dolly Parton's tits, Colin Powell's nutsack, and gawd knows what else.