Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Now that I've seen Chain Reaction and Starface in full  (Read 19370 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Now that I've seen Chain Reaction and Starface in full
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2006, 11:02:56 AM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'126132\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 07:07 AM\']
And I have seen you call "Starface" "terrific", so maybe this isn't your kind of show.
[/quote]
The exact quote was 'This looks really promising."

Personally, I think we need a Game Show Supporting Cast Hall Of Shame. The first inductee will be Tom Cruise's Friggin' Dentist. The second will be Colin Powell's Ballsack.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FlashStash

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2006, 11:07:07 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126136\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 11:02 AM\']

The exact quote was 'This looks really promising."

[/quote]

Sorry, but no.

StarFace, on the other hand, was terrific.

I was really surprised with Danny Bonaduce. He is terrific as host.

To use a bad pun, StarFace is the current star on GSN's lineup.

http://www.gsn.com/buzz/showthread.php?t=84409

FS

catnap1972

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2006, 11:10:44 AM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'126132\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 10:07 AM\']
You're ready to crucify the show based on the very first taping ever, when it has been pointed out many times that later tapings went much more smoothly and the host was much better in later episodes.[/quote]

The point I think he was trying to make is that all "Joe Average Game Show Viewer" (ie not us) has to see is a pattern of what looks like crap and he's gone and not coming back.  If GSN were smart, they'd throw some of the later taped episodes in (assuming they were actually an improvement) this week to try and prevent that.

Then again, if the intended demographic is only looking for a pretty face and the ability to say "Whoo hoo!  I really am smarter than that idiot!", then I guess they've got a hit.

FlashStash

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2006, 11:15:19 AM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'126139\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 11:10 AM\']

The point I think he was trying to make is that all "Joe Average Game Show Viewer" (ie not us) has to see is a pattern of what looks like crap and he's gone and not coming back.  If GSN were smart, they'd throw some of the later taped episodes in (assuming they were actually an improvement) this week to try and prevent that.

[/quote]

OTOH, Joe Sixpack may actually be interested in watching an episode like last night's so he can feel good about how much smarter he is than those contestants :)

FS

clemon79

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2006, 11:19:00 AM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'126137\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 08:07 AM\']
Sorry, but no.
StarFace, on the other hand, was terrific.
I was really surprised with Danny Bonaduce. He is terrific as host.
To use a bad pun, StarFace is the current star on GSN's lineup.
http://www.gsn.com/buzz/showthread.php?t=84409
[/quote]
Ah, okay, mea culpa. My quote was on his blog. I don't touch the GSN boards so I did not know about that assertion. But, yeah, knowing that, wow.

FlashStash

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2006, 11:29:01 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126145\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 11:19 AM\']

Ah, okay, mea culpa. My quote was on his blog. I don't touch the GSN boards so I did not know about that assertion. But, yeah, knowing that, wow.
[/quote]

I think that was on his blog at one point also...no biggie! :)  It's interesting to pop in over there (to GSN.com) once in awhile to see what the "real world" thinks of the network.

And, hey, I know I was on the show, and I also know it's not perfect and there's lots of room for improvement.  But I'm arguing with someone here who thinks "Starface" is the best thing on GSN, so I think that's kind of important to point out as it shows what itiparanoid13 thinks is a quality show.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 11:30:24 AM by FlashStash »

clemon79

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2006, 11:36:41 AM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'126148\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 08:29 AM\']
It's interesting to pop in over there (to GSN.com) once in awhile to see what the "real world" thinks of the network.
[/quote]
I've tried on a couple occasions. Between what I've seen and what I know about how Guide Angel runs things, I think it's in the best interest of my blood pressure to stay about as far away from there as I can.
But I'm arguing with someone here who thinks "Starface" is the best thing on GSN, so I think that's kind of important to point out as it shows what itiparanoid13 thinks is a quality show.
Agreed wholly. It's just more shilling.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2006, 12:03:54 PM »
No, it's just my friggin opinion.  I can't stand Chain Reaction.  I love StarFace.  Again, my taste for shows it kinda dumb as it is, as I was a gigantic fan of Friend or Foe and I liked The Chamber.  I just find it funny and interesting.  I don't say that it is the best thing ever made, it is just in my opinion that StarFace is better.  It's a dumb opinion to you, you've made that abundantly clear, but it's my opinion nonetheless.  I will openly admit that Chain Reaction has more enjoyable play-along factors, but everything else, to me, is better in StarFace.

Oh, I forgot.  I got the rules to the Dutch version of GSN's new show "That The Question" last night.  If it is anything like this, it's shaping up to be one of the best and original shows the network has done in a while.  I'll post them later.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 12:14:22 PM by itiparanoid13 »

uncamark

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2006, 12:35:28 PM »
Let me add that I'd rather have Dylan having the answers on a card rather than this whole "Is it there?"  It was OK when "TPIR" and "Feud" did it, but so many other shows have copied "have the host playing along" that it's become a cliche.

Neumms

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2006, 01:44:09 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'126160\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 11:35 AM\']
Let me add that I'd rather have Dylan having the answers on a card rather than this whole "Is it there?"  It was OK when "TPIR" and "Feud" did it, but so many other shows have copied "have the host playing along" that it's become a cliche.
[/quote]

Me, too.

Somebody back a few pages had the idea of betting on each speed chain rather than the betting round, and that's worth considering.

The speed rounds add variety to the game play which doubling the score of the last word doesn't, and betting helps the game build to the end. Maybe there'd be a betting limit of half your score each speed chain until the last one when you could go all in, either to win the game or build your cash. Maybe that one pays 2:1.

Neumms

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2006, 01:45:49 PM »
I found watching Bonaduce to be the best part of "Starface." And boy, is that saying something.

Of course, the only reason to watch NASCAR is the crashes, and that does really well.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2006, 02:15:19 PM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'126148\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 11:29 AM\']I think that was on his blog at one point also...no biggie! :)  It's interesting to pop in over there (to GSN.com) once in awhile to see what the "real world" thinks of the network.[/quote]
I'm not sure if that was meant to be sarcastic ("real world" was in quotes, after all), but the GSN board doesn't represent the opinions of the average "real" viewer any more than we do.  In fact, it's kinda scarry to suggest that it might.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Moe Train

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2006, 12:42:32 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'126125\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 05:35 AM\']
I just saw last night's show, and I think I know one of the biggest problems it has... SUBPAR PLAYERS. I know part of it is the pressure of coming up with answers in 5 seconds, the lights, the audience, whatever... but the performance in the bonus round last night was indeed PATHETIC. Here's a tip, let the players practice the bonus game before the show to get the hang of coming up with a sentence VERY FAST. I'll give Chain until Friday, just to see Moe's show.
[/quote]

Well, give it till Thurs August 10th, cause that's what the rescheduled date is.  lol  

We all were given a chance to practice the bonus round before we went on the show.  We actually had a fair amount of time to practice this, but I think some teams def practiced more than others.  There IS a sure fire way to complete an entire sentence, but I can't really comment too much on that as of yet.  I think that some people's mindsets were this, "Why should we REALLY practice much of this end round stuff, because who knows if we'll even get that far?"  BAD idea.  As with virtually any game or sport you play... ANYONE can win at any given time.  All I know is that we practiced for a LONG time before we got on the show.  We were provided an example of the end game before we went to NYC (We are from the Philly Area), then we were there on that fateful "accident day," which gave us 2 more weeks to practice.  

When we were waiting in the green room to get our makeup and be prepped to be on the show, we practiced throughout all of that wait, and after a while, we just decided that we should let our minds relax and let it all out on the show, which worked well.  I saw a couple teams practice for maybe 20 minutes and that was it.  

I think as the show goes along and more people are watching it before they become contestants, you'll (hopefully) see even more intriguing shows.  One thing that's sort of been bothering me...  There are some DEADBEATS on the show!  Come on people, and do what Bob Marley sang, "Lively up yourself, and don't be no drag!"  Have some freakin' fun!  You have the chance to do be on a show that millions of others will never have the chance to experience.  There have been some really stiff people onstage.  I have experience in performing (since I am a punk/ska/reggae/hip hop musician who has played in front of a ton of people), but I realize that many haven't.  Contestants don't have to be bouncing off the walls, but they should realize that they are on stage, and are a very important part of whether the game will be successful or not.  As in "real life," it's very important to be able to laugh at yourself.  Sure, you're going to get some words wrong.  If you're not going to get a word right, make everyone laugh by throwing in a funny answer!  (haha.. Just wait till you hear what I say, and the banter that goes on between me and Dylan)  When I walked onto the set, it felt like I had my guitar in my hand, and was getting ready to play one of my own songs for a few thousand people.  If you are not into it, the crowd can tell, and neither will they!  CENTER STAGE, BABY!  Take control of yourselves during the game, and play to the crowd, and hopefully, that energy will be conveyed in a fashion that all can tell (both in the studio and on TV).  Laugh at your teammates when they get something wrong, and vocally, rib them hard about it, just like you would do if you were home.  When they get an answer right, pump them up!  The more loose you are on stage, the better you will do.  However, even if you're loose, you might still get NO breaks and lose the game.  Sh%T happens, right?

I'm doubting that you are going to see any winnings over $12,000, because it's extremely hard to get all of the words on the first letter, especially how they throw in words which intentionally lead you to think it's one word, then it's something totally different.  Besides, the chances are that the team that gets the second letter shown to them will get the word correct.  

Betting round... As much as people don't like it, it's still the "make or break" round.

I'm still having fun seeing the show (even after the rescheduling), and with as much buzz as I'm seeing from boards across the net, hopefully it will have a very successful run!

Moe
http://www.myspace.com/MoeTrain
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 01:14:05 PM by Moe Train »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2006, 06:00:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Moe Train\' post=\'126536\' date=\'Aug 7 2006, 12:42 PM\']Betting round... As much as people don't like it, it's still the "make or break" round.[/quote]
Um . . . what?

1) When it's not the "foregone conclusion" round.

2) The very fact that it's the deciding round makes our dislike of it more important than, say, the speed chains.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Moe Train

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2006, 06:23:18 PM »
It gives a chance for those who are behind to catch up and win if they are good enough, but it's true about the foregone conclusion.  If a team is doing that bad, and gets all the way to zero, the game is done.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 06:23:35 PM by Moe Train »