Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN TCA Announcements  (Read 4835 times)

itiparanoid13

GSN TCA Announcements
« on: July 11, 2006, 07:55:45 PM »
You can check my site for the full story on them all if you care, but here's the summarized version.

"That's the Question", a show that combines scrambled words and trivia, will tape 20 episodes on the Netherlands set this week with Bob Goen as host.  The show is already a hit in the Netherlands, France, and Switzerland.  Scott Sternberg produces the show.  No idea on an airdate or anything else about the show.

GSN will produce two documentaries due to the success of "Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal".  One will be about the off-camera happenings on "The Gong Show" and another will cover the 1973-1979 run of "Match Game".

If you like seeing people play computer games on TV, then you need to get a life and you have a show on GSN to watch.  "Worldwide Web Games"  will air in December and sees competitors play Zuma, Bejeweled 2, and Solitaire for $1,000,000.  You can qualify to play on the GSN Games site, but you have to have a cash account.  The taping will be September 9th in LA.

tvwxman

GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 08:11:11 PM »
Good to see Bob Goen back. It's about time.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

The Pyramids

GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 09:27:42 PM »
'Match Game' and 'Gong Show.' Two shows that didn't get the 'E! True Hollywood Story' treatment.

I wonder what, if any, backstage drama there may be about 'MG'. Dawson's departure is a given. There can also be anecdotes about how some daytime viewers were not amused by the show and nervous affiliates etc.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 10:13:10 PM »
"Gong" had a THS. It was done around the time of the release of "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" to theatres.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 11:46:04 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'123891\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 06:55 PM\']
Scott Sternberg produces the show.  No idea on an airdate or anything else about the show.
[/quote]
Hopefully it works out better than the last shows he produced for GSN.
There can also be anecdotes about how some daytime viewers were not amused by the show
Um, no.
"I didn't like the show".
"What did you do?"
"I changed the channel".
"Oh.."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:46:45 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 12:09:15 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'123895\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 08:11 PM\']
Good to see Bob Goen back. It's about time.[/quote]
Agreed.  And on the subject of "It's about time", good on GSN for producinga couple more of their their own Biography-type shows, something I've been asking for since just about the beginning.

Bob Goen?  Attention to 70s classics?  Word games? That pendulum continues to shift in our direction!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLW

GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 03:27:25 PM »
Good to hear that Goen's back into game show work. Did he do anything after Blackout and Wheel of Fortune?

And I'm most certainly looking forward to the game show documentaries, as I've missed out on every other one by channels like E!, and A&E.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 03:28:24 PM by PYLW »

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 03:28:52 PM »
Did he do anything after Blackout and Wheel of Fortune

The Hollywood Game, 1992.

--Jamie

PYLW

GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'123952\' date=\'Jul 12 2006, 03:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'123950\' date=\'Jul 12 2006, 02:28 PM\']

[/quote]

Having seen a couple episodes of that show - that's one I'd just as soon rather forget about.
[/quote]

I'm guessing that's why I've never heard of the show before...I'm guessing it was in Syndication?

Chelsea Thrasher

GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 03:42:32 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'123953\' date=\'Jul 12 2006, 02:32 PM\']

I'm guessing that's why I've never heard of the show before...I'm guessing it was in Syndication?
[/quote]

Nevermind, I'd gotten it confused with something else.  Never seen it.

tvwxman

GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 03:48:57 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'123953\' date=\'Jul 12 2006, 03:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'123952\' date=\'Jul 12 2006, 03:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'123950\' date=\'Jul 12 2006, 02:28 PM\']

[/quote]

Having seen a couple episodes of that show - that's one I'd just as soon rather forget about.
[/quote]

[/quote]
CBS aired it for 4 weeks in the summer of 92...8PM Friday nights...

never knew if it was a tryout for a daytime show or what..... panel?

Here's the thing about Bob Goen...you talk about underrated and overrated hosts...I don't know where to put him...He was constantly saddled with crap formats...and yet, on Wheel, the one format that worked...he was nothing spectacular... capable and nonthreatening, but never stood out....

Kudos to him for finally getting another game though...wasn't that part of his deal with Paramount exiting Entertainmnet Tonight?

And the big question : Will Marianne play hostess?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 03:59:21 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'123949\' date=\'Jul 12 2006, 02:27 PM\']
Good to hear that Goen's back into game show work. Did he do anything after Blackout and Wheel of Fortune?
[/quote]
Also, that other piece of crap Born Lucky, in 1992 or 93, on Lifetime.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 04:03:31 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'123957\' date=\'Jul 12 2006, 12:48 PM\']
and yet, on Wheel, the one format that worked...he was nothing spectacular... capable and nonthreatening, but never stood out....
[/quote]
Except two things:

1) Did the CBS daytime Wheel REALLY work? The budget was so blown to hell that pretty much nobody was gonna take it seriously even if Bill Cullen rose from the dead to host it.

2) Is Wheel really a host-driven show anyhow? It seems its (inexplicable) appeal is in the folks at home trying to guess the puzzle. You could have Gilbert Gottfried standing at the left end of that rail and still have that.

(I'm accepting bets on which Furby will be the first one to break out the tired "YOU FOOL" joke.)

I think Daytime Wheel is one of those things that was killed dead by the overextravagancy of the corresponding nighttime format more than the quality of the hosts. Sajak isn't any great shakes, either, really. And he doesn't need to be.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 04:04:01 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bricon

GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 05:01:51 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'123957\' date=\'Jul 12 2006, 02:48 PM\']
(regarding "Hollywood Game")
CBS aired it for 4 weeks in the summer of 92...8PM Friday nights...
never knew if it was a tryout for a daytime show or what..... panel?
[/quote]

It was designed to be a summer series, and if the numbers were good enough, a backup series when fall shows started to fail.  I seem to recall that the show came in next to last or in the ratings all four of its airings.   Anyone here have the ratings for that far back?

And, on Goen's ability, he came in to audition, was given a script for the first time, and nailed it after studying it for about an hour.  A pleasure to work with (he also did the Name That Tune CD-i game) and it will be good to see him back on the air.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
GSN TCA Announcements
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 05:28:31 PM »
And a hearty welcome back after not seeing a post of yours in a long time, Brian. I assume you were relating a story from "Hollywood Game" itself with the audition tidbit?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck