Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which GSM Show?  (Read 11816 times)

Jay Temple

Which GSM Show?
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2006, 01:17:20 AM »
Lord knows I'm no Ricki Lake fan, but I think given time she could grow into the right show.

I would rather watch classic MG than either PYL or Whammy!, but I think the inflated dollar values suit PYL better than MG.

Pyramid is proof that it's never too soon for a new version that improves on the old. The 50KP was awful* and lasted less than six months. But the following fall, CBS debuted the "New" $25KP, which ran nearly six years.

* except in comparison to Osmond. To wit:
  • They cut the payout roughly in half.
  • You won the tournament by clearing the Winner's Circle, but you could qualify without ever sitting there.
  • If you had too big a lead, you ended up forfeiting one of your chances to qualify.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

sshuffield70

Which GSM Show?
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2006, 08:57:55 AM »
To hell with all of these shows, bring Sale back with Ricki as a 'co-emcee' in the Summer Bartholomew role. At least she won't be running the show.

Nah, I'd get Summer Altice for that gig.  She's a lot easier on the eyes than Ricki. :P

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Which GSM Show?
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2006, 12:19:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'123498\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 10:05 PM\'][quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'123461\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 11:25 AM\']
Just because a show has recently been done means that it shouldn't be done again?
[/quote]
Did I say this, because I don't think I did.  A show shouldn't be done again so soon if the new show can't really improve upon the recently departed.[/quote]
I read that as "a show shouldn't be done again if it's been done recently," but I apologize if I misintepreted. Though I still partially disagree with the sentiment above -- depending on the quality of the recently departed show, if it came back a couple years later of equal quality, it could be a good thing. For example, if Hollywood Squares came back at the same level of quality it was in 2004, I'd be happy to see it again.

[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'123498\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 10:05 PM\']Maybe more spins on the board would be good, but if the prizes are good enough, it doesn't matter what's cash or what's prizes during play.  "$30,500" on a player's tote, whether it's a Nissan 350Z or the amount in cash, makes not a bit of difference.[/quote]
That's true. Though there are a finite number of prizes and trip destinations that are exciting to win, so I think a good board would still have to be mostly cash, but an increase of desirable prizes would be fine.

[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'123498\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 10:05 PM\']
(1) Better board value distribution, (2) no Double Whammies, (3) keep the board rectangular so you can get a larger shot of the contestant as they're spinning, and you've got the improvements to Whammy! that you seek.
(1) Maybe, (2) absolutely, and (3) not at all.  The aesethetics of the board seem so immaterial to the game play.  I saw the contestant just fine.[/quote]
Admittedly, that's not crucial to the success of the show, but I was just coming up with improvements to Whammy!. On PYL, you could better see the contestant, which drew you in to how they played the game. On Whammy!, it was such a relatively small torso shot that you didn't feel as connected to the contestant. Not vital, but a small improvement.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on which show would be the best choice to revive in prime time. I like Card Sharks and Match Game, too. (Though personally, I don't think Card Sharks has a prime time feel. If they played with the same types of questions they used on GSM, it would make a great companion show for syndicated Feud, though. But with a perfect panel chemistry, I can see Match Game working in prime time.)

--
Scott Robinson

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Which GSM Show?
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2006, 12:46:53 PM »
The contestant was the least of my concerns when I saw the "Whammy" board - remember how much dead space there was in season one when the board was more oval? Not to mention the earlier shows where the font was smaller, you had a tough time telling what was going on. The rectangle was just easier to follow - but then again, a lot of the changes for W! seemed to be made so it was intentionally hard to follow the board (blue backgrounds for whammy, etc.)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

ITSBRY

Which GSM Show?
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2006, 01:11:11 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'123090\' date=\'Jul 2 2006, 08:24 AM\']
I was really split between "Card Sharks" and "PYL" but I decided to vote for PYL because it might carry a bit more weight in "name recognition" and, if done right, could really be a very exciting game to watch on a regular basis (That's not to say "CS" couldn't be the same either).

[/quote]
Agree 100%...it's a tough choice between these two because these were the ones I enjoyed the most (with MG being a VERY close third). Take the celebs out of the mix and both shows would work well (although for me, CS played MUCH MUCH better with celebs than PYL did).

CS has that pesky 'problem' of potential straddling games though so I think PYL is a more practical choice for today's TV landscape. I'm still stunned that this show hasn't been tried in a revival on network TV. It appears to have everything going for it...name recognition, self contained games and most importantly: the coveted TV demographic grew up with this show. Done correctly and with the right promotion, I think it could do very well.

But what do I know? :)

Bryan
itsbry@juno.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Which GSM Show?
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2006, 01:12:50 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'123541\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 10:11 AM\']
CS has that pesky 'problem' of potential straddling games though
[/quote]
So does Deal Or No Deal, and that seems to be doing quite well.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ITSBRY

Which GSM Show?
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2006, 01:21:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'123542\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 01:12 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]

True...I guess this isn't as big a deal in prime time as it would be on cable or syndicated shows.

Bryan
itsbry@juno.com

zachhoran

Which GSM Show?
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2006, 07:17:13 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'123541\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 01:11 PM\']

CS has that pesky 'problem' of potential straddling games.

[/quote]

Would be interesting to see Fremantle bring back another G-T show as a companion to Feud. It's ard to say if Feud will be back for a ninth season if ratings don't improve with the host and whatever format changes are in store (one more renewal would make this incarnation of Feud last as long as the original Dawson run). Fremantle doesn't even show the Feud champions' runs in order sometimes, correct?. Ergo, I don't see them doing a show with straddled games. If CS comes back, I'm betting they'll play to time a la Davidson and the first five years of Bergeron HS.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 07:18:11 PM by zachhoran »

Kevin Prather

Which GSM Show?
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2006, 08:25:56 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'123543\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 10:21 AM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'123542\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 01:12 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
True...I guess this isn't as big a deal in prime time as it would be on cable or syndicated shows.
[/quote]
What about Millionaire?

Matt Ottinger

Which GSM Show?
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2006, 08:49:19 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'123575\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 08:25 PM\']
What about Millionaire?[/quote]
I think ITSBRY put 'problem' in quotes for a reason.  The straddling issue is only an issue to the producers who choose to make it an issue.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 08:49:47 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Brandon Brooks

Which GSM Show?
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2006, 11:16:40 PM »
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on which show would be the best choice to revive in prime time. I like Card Sharks and Match Game, too. (Though personally, I don't think Card Sharks has a prime time feel. If they played with the same types of questions they used on GSM, it would make a great companion show for syndicated Feud, though. But with a perfect panel chemistry, I can see Match Game working in prime time.)
You see, I also didn't vote in the poll because I have absolutely no interest in seeing Ricki Lake touch another game show; therefore, none of these shows should be revived with her at the helm (I think she would actually work well for The View where Rosie will be... Star, probably not. *)  But I have to admit one, that MG needs a really good panel chemistry in order to do well, and that two, CS may not be prime time suitable.
a lot of the changes for W! seemed to be made so it was intentionally hard to follow the board (blue backgrounds for whammy, etc.)
For who--the contestants or the viewers?  Because neither makes much sense to me.

Brandon Brooks

*Yes, I am a male and I have seen The View, but ONLY during TPiR's commercial breaks.  Even I can't sit through that whole show.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:20:29 PM by Brandon Brooks »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Which GSM Show?
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2006, 02:50:27 AM »
I meant for the contestants - whammies that blended in with the other slides (so one could not simply STOP! when there were few whammies on the board as easily as in the past) and the fact every 9 squares changed in the second round rather than all 18 as in round 1/classic PYL screamed at me as ways to disorient the contestants so it was only their luck that got them big bucks and not any craftiness. Not trying to start any conspiracy theories, but the show did have a number of fans on its staff, a group privy to the craftiness I mention.

Of course, they could've just decided blue was a nicer color than yellow and the half-switching looked cool, but that's my opinion.

-Jason
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 02:51:05 AM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

jdhernandez

Which GSM Show?
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2006, 05:52:56 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'123607\' date=\'Jul 8 2006, 01:50 AM\']
I meant for the contestants - whammies that blended in with the other slides (so one could not simply STOP! when there were few whammies on the board as easily as in the past) and the fact every 9 squares changed in the second round rather than all 18 as in round 1/classic PYL screamed at me as ways to disorient the contestants so it was only their luck that got them big bucks and not any craftiness. Not trying to start any conspiracy theories, but the show did have a number of fans on its staff, a group privy to the craftiness I mention.

Of course, they could've just decided blue was a nicer color than yellow and the half-switching looked cool, but that's my opinion.

-Jason
[/quote]

Hey other Jason! Long time, no see.

Actually, the "shuffly" slides, as I like to call them, were not half-switched... every SIX squares changed in the second round, so it's not half-switching. No, no, it's more like... third-switching...?

Yea, sure...that works!!!
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

zachhoran

Which GSM Show?
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2006, 09:14:43 AM »
I suspect CBS would have been better off ratingswise doing seven primetime TPIRs rather than the GSM this summer. Yeah, it didn't work 20 years ago against Cosby/Family Ties reruns, but the recent primetime specials have gotten as good or better ratings at the GSM shows got. They could have used either Barker, or if they were really brave, one of the TPIR Live hosts, as the host. Million Dollar bonus spins are not necessary. Offer the million dollar prize to someone who comes within daytime DSW range on their showcase.

uncamark

Which GSM Show?
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2006, 03:22:30 PM »
There seems to be a reel out there of Whammy animations--GSN had access to it for that "Whammy's Greatest Hits" promo they did during the prime time repeat run, where they matted them over a freeze frame of Radio City Music Hall far shots cribbed from the "Wheel" first New York shows, IIRC.

I only mention that because people at the time pointed out that it included some animations that weren't seen in the first group of eps they bought (like the "Whammy Nelson" one).