Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Underrated/Overrated hosts.....  (Read 17564 times)

rebelwrest

Underrated/Overrated hosts.....
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2006, 11:21:16 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'123589\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 11:09 PM\']
For the category of overrated hosts....Rush Limbau....oh, you mean GAME SHOW hosts!?!??

Definitely, Dickie Dawson.  

Although I liked when he told it like it was (i.e. when someone came up with a dumb response, he would play it up), I never liked when he'd spend the first several minutes talking about minutia while stroking his ego, having Mr. & Mrs. Joe America bowing at his feet and having one-sided conversations with people off camera and out of earshot.

If you edited out all that gibberish, you'd have about 15 minutes of good TV per show episode.

Hmmm.  Come to think of it, all of the above fits for El Rushbo too.  And I believe he purposely wanted security to find his little blue pills so he could brag about his big....ego!
[/quote]

I thought he was a comedian.

Well I know your post did not go through David.  He tries to keep political posts off the forum, and I learned that the hard way (no pun intended).

Anyway back to the topic on hand, I do not consider Chuck Woolery to ever host anything.  His hosting style is of he is one of the contestants, the real host cancelled, and he was put in charge.  Chuck Woolery is a different style combining southern charm and humbleness in the same person.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2006, 11:36:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'123522\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 08:27 AM\']
...except for the little part where, save for an IFB with a producer in it telling him whenever it happened, he DIDN'T KNOW THE RULES TO HIS OWN FRIGGIN' GAME.
[/quote]
Further substantiation:  When appearing on the E!THS:The Hollywood Squares, Mr. Davidson was asked to recite the rules of the game--same for Peter Marshall.  One of the former hosts spat out the rules as if he hosted it just yesterday.  The other had no clue.  Both hoeted the game for years.  Match the stars.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:36:48 PM by Brandon Brooks »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2006, 11:40:02 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'123527\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 10:23 AM\']
Bob Barker[/b]: lame humor + pointless thoughts = Why is he still there?
[/quote]
Sorry, you may say a lot of things about Barker, but one thing he ain't is overrated.  He does his job extremely well, even at his age.  Three other hosts didn't even do it as well as he does it now (you're a great host, Mr. Kennedy, but I'm sure you can even admit this).

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:40:25 PM by Brandon Brooks »

dzinkin

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2006, 11:47:44 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'123593\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 11:21 PM\']
Well I know your post did not go through David.  He tries to keep political posts off the forum, and I learned that the hard way (no pun intended).
[/quote]
Since you apparently still don't understand what happened, let me explain.

When it's clear that the primary intent of a post is not to discuss the topic at hand, but to make a political point or advertise a product, the post is edited or deleted.  Your post did both of the latter, as its entire content was an excerpt of an anti-Bill O'Reilly and anti-GOP (no, they're not the same thing, as the former worships himself more than he does any party) book followed by "WATCH KEITH OLBERMANN ON COUNTDOWN ON MSNBC!!!!" in the largest font Invision allows.  I told you that since said excerpt did make an interesting game show allusion, you could repost the excerpt; even an added comment like "this is why I prefer Keith Olbermann" wouldn't have been out of line, just the glorified ad.  You declined, making your intent clear.

Though Mr. Kubat's Limbaugh slam was not on topic, the primary content of his post was. We don't ban all political references.  (As an aside, I'd argue that a Limbaugh slam isn't necessarily a political comment, as I know many conservatives who can't stand him and more than a few liberals who enjoy his show.) We just don't want the board to degenerate into the likes of Democratic Underground or Free Republic.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:51:06 PM by dzinkin »

uncamark

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2006, 03:27:37 PM »
If you want to see Barker at his peak, you have to go "T or C."  Granted, it was a very unstructured format, but that worked to his advantage as he was able to bring out his contestants' personalities as no one else who hosted the show in its long run was able or allowed to do (and that includes the guy who created the show).

In fact, I don't think it's a coincidence that the only time "T or C" worked on television was Barker's version.  He was very good on "TPIR" at his peak before his ego got to him, but even then he was better on "T or C."

GSmaniac

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2006, 04:29:51 PM »
UNDERATED:

1. Jim Perry- Two Words:  THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

2. Bill Cullen- If you were to go up to anyone in the street and ask them to name a game show host I think none of them would say Cullen.

3. Marc Summers- He is one of the only hosts I know that can host both game shows involving kids (Double Dare) and adults (History I.Q) very well.

OVERATED:

1. Bob Eubanks- When he was on CS he tried to converse with the contestants in a NG sort of way and it didn't really work.

2. Pat Sajak- He's gotten too caught up in running the game itself which is not entirely his fault.

3. Bob Barker- I think that after 34 years his charm might be beginning to wear down.

WhammyPower

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2006, 06:26:08 PM »
[quote name=\'GSmaniac\' post=\'123877\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 03:29 PM\'] Jim Perry- Two Words:  THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!!!!! [/quote]
When you phrase it like that, you almost make him sound like Patrick Wayne in my mind.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 06:26:44 PM by WhammyPower »

GSmaniac

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2006, 07:11:37 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'123886\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 06:26 PM\']
[quote name=\'GSmaniac\' post=\'123877\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 03:29 PM\'] Jim Perry- Two Words:  THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!!!!! [/quote]
When you phrase it like that, you almost make him sound like Patrick Wayne in my mind.
[/quote]

Good Point.   I meant on $OTC.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2006, 07:20:32 PM »
[quote name=\'GSmaniac\' post=\'123887\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 06:11 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
You say "good point", and then go on to cite an example...which is it?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:20:42 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

GSmaniac

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2006, 07:26:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'123888\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 07:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'GSmaniac\' post=\'123887\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 06:11 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
You say "good point", and then go on to cite an example...which is it?
[/quote]

I wanted to clear this up.  What I meant was two things:

1. It is a good ponit that it does sound like Patrick Wayne.

2. Jim Perry said that spiel on $OTC.

Sorry about the confusion.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2006, 09:10:43 PM »
[quote name=\'GSmaniac\' post=\'123889\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 04:26 PM\']
I wanted to clear this up.  What I meant was two things:

1. It is a good ponit that it does sound like Patrick Wayne.

Sorry about the confusion.
[/quote]2. "That's right!" is not a spiel. It is a declaration of the quality of correctness.

3. You've only added to the confusion. Thanks. We appreciate that.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2006, 09:31:36 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'123898\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 06:10 PM\']
[quote name=\'GSmaniac\' post=\'123889\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 04:26 PM\']
[/quote]2. "That's right!" is not a spiel. It is a declaration of the quality of correctness.
[/quote]
It's also wrong, if he's quoting Perry declaring Barbara Phillips a Lot winner. He said "Israel is right!!!"

So not only does he not make any damn sense, but he's factually incorrect as well.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 09:31:55 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GSmaniac

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2006, 09:53:13 PM »
What I meant was that Jim Perry always used to say THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!! emphatically during the speed round.

And as for the confusion, I'm sorry about that. Let's just forget it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2006, 10:48:54 PM »
[quote name=\'GSmaniac\' post=\'123902\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 06:53 PM\']
What I meant was that Jim Perry always used to say THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!! emphatically during the speed round.

And as for the confusion, I'm sorry about that. Let's just forget it.
[/quote]
Your words may be forgotten. Your legacy will live on.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2006, 10:57:01 PM »
Actually from clips I've seen it was only early on that Perry said "THAT'S RIGHT!/That's Incorrect!" in the speed round before going on a Sanka kick and later in the run simply saying "Right!/Wrong!" in the speed round.  In the end it prolly means the difference of being able to spit out a handful more words of a question.