Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Playmania  (Read 27301 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Playmania
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2006, 02:32:13 PM »
The last few times I tried to play for free online, I noticed that some of the times you submit you get a "Sorry" message, whereas before you always got a "good luck, PlayMania may call you at...".

I figured this was just some sort of ruse so the free entrants use their 10 up quickly and give the show more revenue from texts. But now on last night's program, Shandi was explaining how the texters either get sorry/"good luck" as well. I got three good lucks of 10 entries last night and not so much as a call. So it's basically "congratulations, you're a slightly higher tier of random selectability than if you got the sorry message!"

Ugh.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Playmania
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2006, 02:40:20 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'128045\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 11:33 AM\']
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'128039\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 01:39 PM\']
So, wait, is GSN not even confirming the eligibility of it's contestants anymore?
[/quote]

When they first call you, they just ask for your name. If you sound underage (which apparently I don't), they'll ask for your birthdate, but for anyone else, they don't ask for any other information until you win.
[/quote]
So I just gotta say that I question the intelligence of someone who is basically admitting in a public forum that they are defrauding GSN. It sounds like they don't care, but still.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

Playmania
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2006, 02:40:37 PM »
So now hold on.  You say "until you win".   Does this mean that they're still asking for your details after you win?  If so, wouldn't they want to make sure you're who you say you are?

If GSN is permitting, intentionally or not, contestants under 18 to enter PlayMania, and aren't making absolutely sure their contestants are who/what they claim to be, this can't end well for them. (I'd imagine at some point some angry parent is going to see $50 worth of text messaging fees on their mobile bill, start asking questions, and it get incredibly ugly for *all involved)

And for what it's worth, admitting on a public forum (which I harbor few doubts that people connected with the network see) that you're under the age of entering into the contests, and citing the episodes you appear on in both posts and your signature, might not have been the wisest thing.

Does give the impression that GSN doesn't seem to care, but as I said, at some point, some angry parent's gonna wonder how Skippy racked up a large number of texting fees, and when they do, it won't be pretty.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 02:44:16 PM by Seth Thrasher »

clemon79

Playmania
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2006, 03:02:37 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'128051\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 11:51 AM\']
Well, first off, I would appreciate it if the insuinuation that I am unintelligent please cease.
[/quote]
Well, don't do things that would lead people to believe that you are.
And, even if I did get "caught," on one of the PlayMania pages, it mentions that in the event that a minor wins, then the winnings can be transferred to their parents.
Okay, so it covers that. So why even engage in the whole lying-about-your-identity thing? There wouldn't even be a QUESTION if you were just up-front about it, had your dad get paid off, and then have your dad pay you when the money shows up. Which, since you're representing that you're your dad anyhow, is probably how it happens now.
But, whatever. I'll stop all mentioning of my PlayMania appearances.
Way to completely miss the point. Have fun, kiddo.

dzinkin

Playmania
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2006, 03:03:53 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'128051\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 02:51 PM\']
Well, first off, I would appreciate it if the insuinuation that I am unintelligent please cease. Secondly, I only enter online (the free method), so I know better than to piss off my parents. I can't speak for others, but that's just me. And, even if I did get "caught," on one of the PlayMania pages, it mentions that in the event that a minor wins, then the winnings can be transferred to their parents. My father has given me full permission to use his name, so it's not unlike if he had me wait to talk to PlayMania while he was in the bathroom, but I was the one talking on line because he didn't get back in time. But, whatever. I'll stop all mentioning of my PlayMania appearances.
[/quote]
From the Playmania FAQ (PDF file):

4. Who Can Enter?

PlayMania is open only to legal U.S. residents who, at the time of entry, are residents of, and are physically present in the United States (excluding Arizona, Guam, the US Virgin Islands, Vermont, Puerto Rico), and who are eighteen (18) years of age or older as of the start date of the Promotion.  You may be asked for proof of age before your prize is sent.

If there is indeed such a link where "it mentions that in the event that a minor wins, then the winnings can be transferred to their parents," please provide it.

EDIT: Ah, here it is... under #8, "Winner of the PlayMania."  Am I missing something or is GSN contradicting itself?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 03:08:56 PM by dzinkin »

dzinkin

Playmania
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2006, 03:12:30 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'128056\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 03:08 PM\']
From another PlayMania rules page (See number eight)

In the event that the Potential Winner is considered a minor under the laws of his or her state of residency, the Prize will be awarded in the name of the Potential Winner’s parent or legal guardian.

EDIT: I posted this before you edited yourself. Damned moderated posts.
[/quote]
Incorrect.  I posted it one minute before, then added the "Edited by..." disclaimer seconds before you posted.

Damned dishonest newbies.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 03:12:56 PM by dzinkin »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Playmania
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2006, 03:19:17 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'128060\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 02:15 PM\']
You don't need to quote me, I'm right above you. [/quote]
Not really a good way to have the moderators on your side.
Besides, his post might not always be above yours.  Sometimes, a post appears in between, due to being on moderated status, someone posting at the same time, etc.
I was always told to quote to avoid confusion, but that's just me.
It's not like you guys are playing, so what does it matter to you?
Actually, I have played in the past; it grinds my gears to hear that people who probably shouldn't be allowed to play are getting in...while others are on the outside looking in.
maybe I'm not as experienced as you in the game show field and community.
You've been on Jeopardy, which is more than I can say...though I don't think people appreciate seeing it in every post.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 03:19:35 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

Playmania
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2006, 03:25:43 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'128060\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 03:15 PM\']
You don't need to quote me, I'm right above you.
[/quote]
Should someone happen to post between your message and mine, a quote makes clear which message I'm answering.

(Hint: only new members, and those whose behavior makes it necessary, have their posts moderated.  You're in the first group.  Feel like joining the second?

Anyway, does that clear anything up? It's not like you guys are playing, so what does it matter to you?
Call us crazy, but dishonesty matters to us.

You're going to look down upon me one way or another, whether it be that I'm sixteen or that I watch PlayMania or maybe I'm not as experienced as you in the game show field and community.
We have had members who were younger than sixteen, at least one of the moderators watches PlayMania (I probably would too if I still had GSN), and our membership comprises a broad range of levels of game show experience and knowledge.

Hint: if you go onto a forum where people expect mature discussion and brag about being dishonest, then make false accusations when you're called on it, you're not going to have a pleasant experience.  Calm down, read what others are posting, and put some thought into your own words before you post.

clemon79

Playmania
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2006, 03:26:29 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'128060\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 12:15 PM\']
[/quote]
No, there are lots of good reasons to quote the relevant portion (repeat, not just for Chad but for the rest of the n00bs: the RELEVANT portion) of the post you're referring to, some of which Mark mentioned above.
Anyway, does that clear anything up? It's not like you guys are playing, so what does it matter to you?
Doesn't. All I said was that being public didn't sound too wise to me. Then you flipped out and got pissy because you're apparently incapable of separating a comment about your actions from a comment about you personally.
You're going to look down upon me one way or another, whether it be that I'm sixteen or that I watch PlayMania or maybe I'm not as experienced as you in the game show field and community.
Or that you flip out and get pissy because someone asks some questions about your actions.
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'128061\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 12:19 PM\']
[/quote]
Oh, the irony. :)
You've been on Jeopardy, which is more than I can say...though I don't think people appreciate seeing it in every post.
You're aware that you can turn off signatures, right? Nobody's making you look at that.

Chelsea Thrasher

Playmania
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2006, 03:28:05 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'128060\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 02:15 PM\']
[/quote]
1)I'm not sure how posts per page align, but it might be possible that on certain settings the thread splits into two pages between your and Dave's posts. Nevermind that someone could post between you.  EDIT: For example, I got beaten to the draw by both Chris and Dave while trying to post this, even though from my POV you were right above me.

It's not like you guys are playing, so what does it matter to you?

Because this is the GSN section of the site, you're a member OF this site, Playmania airs on GSN, and if it comes up the network is allowing folks under the age of 18 - you -  to play it's programs, which first GSN says you can't do, then turns right around and backtracks and says if a contestant is under 18, they'll go ahead and award the prize anyway....it's just a might bit shady business on their part, at least I think

You're going to look down upon me one way or another,

Conduct yourself like a reasonable, thoughtful, semi-intelligent individual and you'll easily be afforded the same respect as ANY other member of this forum.

whether it be that I'm sixteen

Oh come on, seriously.  There are/were members of this site in their forties that have been thrown out with great pleasure, and there are users YOUR age who, due to the way they behave on the board (reasonably and intelligently), who are considered upstanding pillars of the community.

or that I watch PlayMania
No negative points there.  At least since you're apparently using the free entires, and not actually paying the 99 cent one-off to get to talk for a couple minutes with a couple of late night game show hostesses.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 03:29:26 PM by Seth Thrasher »

clemon79

Playmania
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2006, 03:30:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'128066\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 12:28 PM\']
At least since you're apparently using the free entires, and not actually paying the 99 cent one-off to get to talk for a couple minutes with a couple of late night game show hostesses.
[/quote]
Considering what some people pay per minute to talk to a real live woman, 99 cents might well be a steal. :)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Playmania
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'128061\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 12:19 PM\']
Oh, the irony. :) [/quote]
And Chris gets 5 bonus points for correct usage, boys and girls.
[quote name=\'clemon79\']
[You've been on Jeopardy, which is more than I can say...though I don't think people appreciate seeing it in every post.
You're aware that you can turn off signatures, right? Nobody's making you look at that.
[/quote]
I guess what caught my eye was a 3 line post, and a seven line signature. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 03:34:18 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

Playmania
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2006, 03:33:55 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'128069\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 03:30 PM\']
Okay, I'm going to apologize for any rash comments or accusations I may have made (especially with the quote box - I completely forgot about modded posts). I'm not trying to be a jerk, but when I've got four different people "coming at me", I tend to get defensive. I've been a lurker at this board for quite some time and only recently have I decided to join. This is a great group of people and I don't want you guys hating me on my first week. I'd be willing to just stop discussion of this and just move on. Again, I apologize for my moments where I was an ass.
[/quote]
Apology accepted, at least by me.  Just stay calm and consider your words a bit more carefully, and you'll be a lot better off from now on.

Robert Hutchinson

Playmania
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2006, 04:01:31 PM »
To get back to GSN's apparent rules contradiction:

"In the event that the Potential Winner is considered a minor under the laws of his or her state of residency"

Is it possible that they're covering situations where someone is 18 years old or older, but is still "considered a minor"?

ARE there such situations?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

Playmania
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2006, 04:06:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'128081\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 01:01 PM\']
Is it possible that they're covering situations where someone is 18 years old or older, but is still "considered a minor"?

ARE there such situations?
[/quote]
God knows we have a few of those around here. ;)

(Seriously, though, no, I don't think so.)