Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Day in Game Shows: September 4  (Read 8469 times)

GS Warehouse

This Day in Game Shows: September 4
« on: September 04, 2003, 10:27:29 AM »
September 4, 1989

After 14+ years at NBC, Wheel of Fortune begins its seventh syndicated season from CBS Television City, as the daytime edition was in the process of moving from NBC to CBS.  In addition to the new location and the new recording of Merv Griffin's \"Changing Keys\", the syndicated version now permits three-day champions, but per CBS rules, any winner of more than $100,000 must donate the overage to charity.  (IIRC, this happened six times that season.)

Elsewhere in the syndication market, Fun House begins its second season on this day by including a 70-foot water slide in the end game.  (BTW, don't flame me for mentioning this show.  I loved it as a teenager, but apparently never as much you-know-who.)

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 10:28:54 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 09:27 AM\'] September 4, 1989

After 14+ years at NBC, Wheel of Fortune begins its seventh syndicated season from CBS Television City, as the daytime edition was in the process of moving from NBC to CBS.  In addition to the new location and the new recording of Merv Griffin's "Changing Keys", the syndicated version now permits three-day champions, but per CBS rules, any winner of more than $100,000 must donate the overage to charity.  (IIRC, this happened six times that season.)

Elsewhere in the syndication market, Fun House begins its second season on this day by including a 70-foot water slide in the end game.  (BTW, don't flame me for mentioning this show.  I loved it as a teenager, but apparently never as much you-know-who.) [/quote]
 This is also the date on which Robb Weller took over for Bert Convy as host of the nighttime Win Lose or Draw(the daytime version was cancelled by NBC the previous Friday). Convy's Third Degree premiered the next week in Syndication.

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 11:06:18 AM »
Excuse me, but isn't the BIGGEST story about September 4th the 1972 debut of TPIR? I sure hope so, because I've been telling the audiences that all week!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 11:07:49 AM by tvrandywest »

DrJWJustice

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 11:19:40 AM »
Excuse me, but isn't the BIGGEST story about September 4th the 1972 debut of TPIR? I sure hope so, because I've been telling the audiences that all week!
Randy, I'd have to agree with you there!  How's Rod doing?  I've not spent a lot of time in here lately, so I need to catch up on my news.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 11:31:05 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 08:06 AM\'] Excuse me, but isn't the BIGGEST story about September 4th the 1972 debut of TPIR? I sure hope so, because I've been telling the audiences that all week!
 [/quote]
 I think Aaron nailed that earlier this week.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2003, 08:25:42 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 10:19 AM\']How's Rod doing?  I've not spent a lot of time in here lately, so I need to catch up on my news.[/quote]
We're all very concerned about Rod. He hasn't been at TPIR in way too long. I don't have any specifics on his condition to share, except to say that he is dearly missed. The show's staff and crew hope to see him back where he belongs, very soon.

Thanks Chris, I didn't catch the earlier post about TPIR's anniversary. Bob was smiling ear-to-ear when intro'd to the studio audience with a reminder that he walked through the big doors for the first time on CBS on this date in 1972!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 01:24:42 PM by tvrandywest »

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2003, 08:30:43 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 07:25 PM\']
We're all very concerned about Rod as there was a report he was back in the hospital lately. He hasn't been at the show in way too long. I don't have any specifics on his condition to share, except to say that he is dearly missed. The staff and crew hope to see him back where he belongs, very soon.

[/quote]
 Man, Rod has had a hell of a year, hope he does get over this newest setback soon. But, it's nice to hear you're back at TPIR in the interim.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 08:36:19 PM »
I hate to say it, but I think this will be Rod's last year.......even if he does recover from this latest problem, I dunno if Fremangle will want to keep putting money into him [is he getting paid leave? I'd assume he does] Add to that the fact they've tried 3 replacements in the last year [Burton, Paul, and Randy] plus possibly more in the live Vegas shows, and it looks like they're ready to throw in the towel and replace him for good.

Get well soon, Rod! :-(

Fedya

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 11:00:12 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 10:06 AM\'] Excuse me, but isn't the BIGGEST story about September 4th the 1972 debut of TPIR? I sure hope so, because I've been telling the audiences that all week!

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 1972 debut?  Didn't some guy named Cullen host TPIR in the 50s and 60s?  :-p
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

tvrandywest

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2003, 12:31:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 10:00 PM\']1972 debut?  Didn't some guy named Cullen host TPIR in the 50s and 60s?  :-p[/quote]
Naw, Matt Ottinger started that rumor.    ;-)

Speaking of which (and I hope I didn't already post this - it's been an insane week) I ran into Don Morrow the other day and he reminded me that he was the \"commercial announcer\" on Cullen's TPIR while Don Pardo was the \"show announcer\". Neither Don was a star then, and he says the staff and crew used to get them confused all the time. It was a cute story from the cobwebs of Morrow's still sharp mind some 50 years later.

Randy
tvrandywest.com

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2003, 01:16:04 AM »

Not to mention the debut of MY all-time favorite game show, The Joker's Wild, one-half hour before it, thank you very much.

I miss The Joker's Wild.

\"Game Show Man\" Joe Van Ginkel
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

cmjb13

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2003, 08:33:24 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 07:25 PM\']Bob was smiling ear-to-ear when I intro'd him to the studio audience with a reminder that he walked through the big doors for the first time on CBS on this date in 1972![/quote]
Really? I thought it was in August, since that's when the first show was taped.

Unless I'm mistaken...
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2003, 10:09:20 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 5 2003, 07:33 AM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 07:25 PM\']Bob was smiling ear-to-ear when I intro'd him to the studio audience with a reminder that he walked through the big doors for the first time on CBS on this date in 1972![/quote]
Really? I thought it was in August, since that's when the first show was taped.

Unless I'm mistaken...[/quote]
That's preposterous.  Those shows were live, coast-to-coast.  Weren't they?  :)

Doug--soon to celebrate 100 posts (a couple of them actually good)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

calliaume

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2003, 10:58:35 AM »
That's preposterous. Those shows were live, coast-to-coast. Weren't they?

It's true; the show aired at 7:30 in the morning in LA.  Actually, in Hawaii, they were still watching Bill Cullen host The Price Is Right and Hugh Downs host Concentration in 1972.

Hey, in 1972 we had seven channels, no bugs, all off-network reruns in black and white except The Flintstones, F Troop, and Petticoat Junction, and smiling Captain Jack was hosting ancient Popeye cartoons on Channel 11.  When The Joker's Wild, TPIR, and Gambit, premiered, we were in hog heaven.

Don Howard

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2003, 12:01:52 PM »
I ran into Don Morrow the other day

I wish I could run into Don Morrow while running errands. The best I can do is the guy on the bicycle who collects aluminum cans. Maybe I should start hanging out with you, Randy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2003, 10:44:41 PM by Don Howard »