Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canada, TV5: amazing French show returns!  (Read 4442 times)

Blaq

Canada, TV5: amazing French show returns!
« on: June 21, 2006, 12:43:20 PM »
Boy, was I excited to read in La Presse that TV5, the network which broadcasts francophone programming from various countries, would be bringing a legendary game show back to Canadian shores!

Since 1988, Questions pour un champion (which became Going For Gold in the UK) has pelted its contestants with questions. The fast-paced, tense game is a classic, which recently celebrated its 5,000th episode. Three rounds progressively eliminate players until only the champ is left standing:

1) "Nine to win" - Questions are asked on various topics, ranging from 1 to 3 points. First player to buzz in and answer correctly gets the points. The first three to reach 9 points move on.

2) "Four in a row" - Each contestant plays separately, choosing one of four categories, then answering rapid-fire questions. The goal is to get four answers in a row; one wrong answer and you go back down to zero. At the end of the round, your score is the maximum number of right answers you gave in a row. The top two players move on to the pressure-filled final round:

3) "Head to head" - players race to reach 12 points, with each question worth from 1 to 4 points, depending on how fast it is answered. The kicker: in each time slice, only one contestant can answer! The trailing player decides whether to "play" (answer during the 4- and 2-point periods) or "pass" (answer during the 3- and 1-point periods). Onscreen, players are separated by a vertical column whose 4-3-2-1 slices cleverly shift slightly, once "play" or "pass" is chosen, towards their eligible player. When time starts and the host begins reading the answer's lonngg description, color drains out of the slices (think of an old-style thermometer) and players watch that clock with an eagle eye!

An incorrect answer slides the slice over to your opponent, who can answer during your leftover time and pick up the points, before their own 1-point-less slice begins. Typically, if you have no clue, you'll want to buzz in a guess *just* before your slice runs out, to take a chance at snatching the points before your next turn, 2 points later.

This is a great format! No wonder the show has lasted so long! And now, TV5 is bringing it back!

Not only that, but during the summer, they're still running La Cible [The target], the superb game show where a rotating camera randomly stops on players who have 3 seconds to give a new answer to the open-ended question! Nice, high-tech show with a good format, appealing graphic design and a good, tough  timed bonus game.

La cible and QP1C will air back-to-back, making it a must-see hour of television game show heaven. Ryan, that means you! B^) I'm especially glad because I only became aware of QP1C after TV5 had taken it off the air, grrr! I can't wait.

Starting July 3:

La Cible - weekdays at 5:30 PM on TV5.
Questions Pour Un Champion - weekday sat 6:00 PM on TV5.

Finally, here are some links for your ocular pleasure:

Watch the Head To Head final round - it looks great! (This was the winning question on one of their many themed weeks, this one featuring QP1C "clubs" battling it out. France has a tradition of such game-show clubs.)

A picture of the 2003 set. (The show is dynamic -- each round is played in a different area of the set.) Screen shots of the "Four in a row" and "Nine to win". More gorgeous photos, this time from a show whose host "punks" various shows, events, and celebrities.

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 03:23:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Blaq\' post=\'122005\' date=\'Jun 21 2006, 11:43 AM\']
Boy, was I excited to read in La Presse that TV5, the network which broadcasts francophone programming from various countries, would be bringing a legendary game show back to Canadian shores!

Since 1988, Questions pour un champion (which became Going For Gold in the UK) has pelted its contestants with questions. The fast-paced, tense game is a classic, which recently celebrated its 5,000th episode. [/quote]

TV5 is available in the U.S., but it may be hard to find.  If you go to their web site and enter your ZIP code, they will tell you if they're available in your area.  Dish Network offers it for $9.99 extra a month by itself or as part of a package of foreign-language channels.   RCN, Chicago's rebuild cable company, offers it as part of an international package on their digital tier.

Brig Bother

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 06:36:29 PM »
Wasn't this actually piloted in the US as Run For The Money?

And yes, the French set does look absolutly gorgeous.

The format was bought back in the UK on our Channel Five as "One to Win", but it only lasted two series.

dzinkin

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 06:52:12 PM »
Thought I'd posted this but it seems to have disappeared... anyway: if you're planning to get TV5 to watch this or any other show, check the schedule.  TV5 has separate feeds for Canada, the USA and other regions where it's distributed.

vtown7

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 06:56:43 PM »
I was in the audience for a taping in 2002.... you can read about it at scubamole.com.  There's a couple of pictures there too.

It's a really fun show... the jackpot starts at 10000 Euros for a five day win, and builds 300 Euro each day.  It went off last week at 30,100 - so you can see it doesn't happen often.

Charles - any word if TV5 will be picking up Boyard for the summer?

R.

PS - It does air on RFO from Ste-Pierre et Miquelon right now... wonder if that means it's going away?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 06:58:27 PM by vtown7 »

Brig Bother

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 07:08:48 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'122040\' date=\'Jun 21 2006, 11:56 PM\']

Charles - any word if TV5 will be picking up Boyard for the summer?

[/quote]

I don't know if you've been following, but TV5 Europe are showing it this year! Except in an an exciting twist no-one saw coming, they appear to be showing 2003 rather than the series beginning on France 2 on Saturday. Still though.

Allstar87

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 12:39:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'122037\' date=\'Jun 21 2006, 06:36 PM\']
Wasn't this actually piloted in the US as Run For The Money?
[/quote]

Yep, back in 1987. I'm surprised it didn't sell; it's a great game.

remlap

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 06:35:38 AM »
Brig Bother, when does Questions pour un champion air on France 2 or TV5 which one is closer upto date because I have access to either.

Cheers.

vtown7

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 07:36:16 AM »
Remlap:

France 2 airs episodes Mon-Fri at 1805 local time, and then Saturdays at 1820.

I can't speak for TV5 Europe, but the RFO feed I get shows the eps same day.

RV.

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 11:38:30 AM »
For the record, the TV5 USA schedule I saw has "Questions" back on the schedule as of Monday (PDF, and it is bi-lingual):

http://www.tv5.org/TV5Site/programmes/theguide/guide.pdf

Also on the lineup at various points are, among other shows, "La Cible" and "Les Chiffres et les Lettres," the show that became "Countdown" in the UK (and is notorious in its French version being considered by many as one of the driest productions imaginable--amazing how a punning host, C-list celeb kibitzers and a co-host who solves numbers problems in her head can make a difference in a format).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 11:35:14 AM by uncamark »

Brig Bother

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 03:52:33 PM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'122099\' date=\'Jun 22 2006, 11:35 AM\']
Brig Bother, when does Questions pour un champion air on France 2 or TV5 which one is closer upto date because I have access to either.

Cheers.
[/quote]

You actually need France 3 to view up to date QPLC, I think TV5 Europe is a few weeks behind.

pownster

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 10:40:41 PM »
I've always been quite a fan of QPuC - and watched it most nights whilst I was in France a month ago. It is a terrific format that should be picked up by another countries as well.

I happened to buy the DVD interactive game whilst in France, and it includes a bonus feature of the very first episode ever aired back in 1988. It is particularly remarkable how little it has changed - the set still looked terrific (although dominated more by blue neon, the graphics were state of the art for the time, and the theme music is almost identical to the current version.
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

vtown7

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 04:33:07 PM »
Just a heads up for when the show starts on TV5: AFAIK it'll be one week behind.  I'm watching the show today on RFO and Julien mentioned that the show was now available on TV5 throughout North and Latin America.

R.

remlap

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 10:38:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'122144\' date=\'Jun 22 2006, 08:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'122099\' date=\'Jun 22 2006, 11:35 AM\']

Cheers.
[/quote]

You actually need France 3 to view up to date QPLC, I think TV5 Europe is a few weeks behind.
[/quote]

No Difference to me :D

Its part of the same setup for French digital over the air tranmissions I have access to the feed for that for  France 2-5.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 10:38:38 PM by remlap »

Blaq

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »
TV5's Web site now has a video excerpt of the Head to Head round! A great watch.

Watch