Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The Peter Marshall Celebrity Piggy Game"  (Read 4666 times)

PeterMarshallFan

"The Peter Marshall Celebrity Piggy Game"
« on: September 03, 2003, 08:51:05 PM »
I've heard of this board game but I've never, ever seen it. What WAS it about and how was it played? [The title makes me nervous to ask]

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 09:30:14 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 05:51 PM\'] I've heard of this board game but I've never, ever seen it. What WAS it about and how was it played? [The title makes me nervous to ask] [/quote]
 Seeing as it's not listed on Matt's site, I'd be real interested in finding out where you heard about it...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jrjgames

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 09:48:33 PM »
Sigh...OK I have to admit, I have this!

LOOK IT WAS $.99 AT ANN & HOPE MY MOM BOUGHT IT FOR ME! :)

I will upload pics when I can.

Basically, dice with pips, one has a piggy, keep rolling and scoring points, when a piggy comes up you lose ann the points during that turn or you can STOP and bank your points!

THATS IT MY FRIENDS...but it has Peter's big ol face on the cover, so who's complaining!

John

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 09:51:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 09:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 05:51 PM\'] I've heard of this board game but I've never, ever seen it. What WAS it about and how was it played? [The title makes me nervous to ask] [/quote]
Seeing as it's not listed on Matt's site, I'd be real interested in finding out where you heard about it... [/quote]
 You're not looking hard enough, Chris.

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/person/in...x.html#marshall

I don't own it myself so I can't tell you specifically how it's played.  \"Piggy\", however, is a common dice game so I'm sure it was a variation on that.

http://www.geocities.com/quetl/pigsix.htm
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 11:10:25 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...1&category=1178

If you'all had brought this up yesterday, you could've had yourselves a copy for only three bucks.

Maybe the dude will relist it.

-Myron
who is not entirely sure what the picture on this auction is supposed to be.

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 11:15:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 08:51 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 09:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 05:51 PM\'] I've heard of this board game but I've never, ever seen it. What WAS it about and how was it played? [The title makes me nervous to ask] [/quote]
Seeing as it's not listed on Matt's site, I'd be real interested in finding out where you heard about it... [/quote]
You're not looking hard enough, Chris.

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/person/in...x.html#marshall

I don't own it myself so I can't tell you specifically how it's played.  \"Piggy\", however, is a common dice game so I'm sure it was a variation on that.

http://www.geocities.com/quetl/pigsix.htm [/quote]
THere was a dice game I found at Spencer Gifts eons ago called Pig Mania, where you rolled two pigs and scored points depending on how the pigs appeared as they were rolled out of a dice cup. I would assume this Peter Marshall Piggy game is similar to that one.

Obgameshow: Was the Peter MarsHall Piggy game ever shown as a fee plug item on HSq?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 11:15:58 PM by zachhoran »

DrBear

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2003, 12:19:50 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 10:15 PM\'] THere was a dice game I found at Spencer Gifts eons ago called Pig Mania, where you rolled two pigs and scored points depending on how the pigs appeared as they were rolled out of a dice cup.
 [/quote]
 Wasn't there a similar game a few years ago called Pass the Pigs?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

whampyl03

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 12:49:48 AM »
Wasn't there a similar game a few years ago called Pass the Pigs?

You mean this???

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/store...2120991-9151852

I tell ya, $10 doesn't by much anymore, but who am I to complain... I like Pass The Pigs.  Lost many-a-hour to it.

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 01:01:22 AM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 09:49 PM\'] I tell ya, $10 doesn't by much anymore, but who am I to complain... I like Pass The Pigs.  Lost many-a-hour to it. [/quote]
 Pass The Pigs and Pig Mania are exactly the same game in different packaging. The only connection between those and this \"Piggy\" game is the shared mechanic of stopping at any time and protecting accumulated progress, or continuing to roll to earn more with the risk of losing what they've earned that turn.

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2003, 12:38:52 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 10:15 PM\']Obgameshow: Was the Peter MarsHall Piggy game ever shown as a fee plug item on HSq?[/quote]
I don't believe so--and I seem to recall that Peter Marshall's first work as a published author, \"Cheer Up!\", wasn't given out as a consolation prize on \"Squares,\" either.

\"Cheer Up!\" was what some in the publishing industry used to call \"non-books\"--thin little tomes filled with jokes or aphorisms.  This one had funny stories of bad luck, under the theme of \"cheer up!--things could be worse.\"

(This *is* our Pete and not the Peter Marshall who wrote religious tomes like \"A Man Called Adam.\")

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2003, 04:35:25 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 12:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 10:15 PM\']Obgameshow: Was the Peter MarsHall Piggy game ever shown as a fee plug item on HSq?[/quote]
I don't believe so--and I seem to recall that Peter Marshall's first work as a published author, "Cheer Up!", wasn't given out as a consolation prize on "Squares," either.

"Cheer Up!" was what some in the publishing industry used to call "non-books"--thin little tomes filled with jokes or aphorisms.  This one had funny stories of bad luck, under the theme of "cheer up!--things could be worse."

(This *is* our Pete and not the Peter Marshall who wrote religious tomes like "A Man Called Adam.") [/quote]
 Let me tell you, at the Hollywood book signing for Peter Marshall last summer, I'm pretty sure I was the only one who had him sign a copy of \"Cheer Up!\"  He seemed pretty amused by it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2003, 05:51:18 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 09:48 PM\'] Sigh...OK I have to admit, I have this!

LOOK IT WAS $.99 AT ANN & HOPE MY MOM BOUGHT IT FOR ME! :)

I will upload pics when I can.

Basically, dice with pips, one has a piggy, keep rolling and scoring points, when a piggy comes up you lose ann the points during that turn or you can STOP and bank your points!

THATS IT MY FRIENDS...but it has Peter's big ol face on the cover, so who's complaining!

John [/quote]
 Looks like Marshall and dice just don't mix.

Although, the game itself sounds pretty decent.

calliaume

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2003, 11:05:19 AM »
I've also got a copy, which I bought five years or so ago off eBay.

The rules as I remember them (and they're very different from Pig Out!, Pass the Pigs, etc.):  four (?) dice, with the ones (?) removed in favor of pig faces.  (Might be sixes -- I don't have the game in front of me.)  Roll the dice, add up the points, and decide if you want to bank the points and keep going.

One pig comes up and you lose all your points accumulated during that turn.
Two or more pigs come up and you lose all your points accumulated during all your turns to this point -- in other words, you go back to zero.

First one to 100 wins.

The thoughts that celebrities played this game is laughable.  Karen runs screaming whenever I pull the game out, and no one I've played it with has ever wanted to play more than once.  It's a kids' game with little or no strategy.

From the folks at E.S. Lowe, who also made Yahtzee.

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2003, 11:36:19 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 5 2003, 08:05 AM\'] One pig comes up and you lose all your points accumulated during that turn.
Two or more pigs come up and you lose all your points accumulated during all your turns to this point -- in other words, you go back to zero.
First one to 100 wins.
 [/quote]
 So it's essentially Skunk (from Schaper, the folks who brought you Cootie, IIRC, before Hasbro bought up the entire freakin' American game industry) with four dice instead of two. (I'm pretty sure Skunk dice replace the ones with little skunks, but I haven't seen a pair in many many years.) It's a wonder they didn't get sued...a Website I have here indicates the Skunk rules were copyrighted to Schaper in 1953.

(Although it's wholly possible that the Skunk concept might have been in the public domain by then, as I'm quite sure people were playing Skunk before specialized Skunk dice were available. So as long as you avoided using actual Skunks, by, say, replacing them with pigs, you were OK, maybe.)

zachhoran

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2003, 11:43:59 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 5 2003, 10:05 AM\'] I've also got a copy, which I bought five years or so ago off eBay.

The rules as I remember them (and they're very different from Pig Out!, Pass the Pigs, etc.):  four (?) dice, with the ones (?) removed in favor of pig faces.  (Might be sixes -- I don't have the game in front of me.)  Roll the dice, add up the points, and decide if you want to bank the points and keep going.

One pig comes up and you lose all your points accumulated during that turn.

First one to 100 wins.

The thoughts that celebrities played this game is laughable.  Karen runs screaming whenever I pull the game out, and no one I've played it with has ever wanted to play more than once.  It's a kids' game with little or no strategy.

From the folks at E.S. Lowe, who also made Yahtzee. [/quote]
 I wonder if PM and/or Heatter-Quigley had game show ideas for this format. SOunds like something Heatter would do(seeing how he toyed around with the High Rollers format in 1985 in those Lucky Numbers pilots)