Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VH1's "I Love the '70s"  (Read 8078 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2003, 09:21:05 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 05:21 PM\']The Gong Show seg. was a little better, but not devoid of similar cluelessness.  One of the B-level celebrities providing commentary brought up the, well, \"B-level celebrities\" who were panelists, and shortly thereafter Jamie Farr was mentioned.  Hello?  There's this little show that was around in the very decade you're covering...I believe it was called M*A*S*H.  I wonder whatever became of it?[/quote]
Just by being associated with a smash show doesn't automatically vault you into the realm of \"A-list\" celebrities.  While Farr's name was in the opening credits as one of the stars for much of its run, he was no billed no higher than sixth (even David Ogden Stiers, who joined M*A*S*H a couple of years after Farr did, got billed fifth).  In fact, I'd say Farr's visibility on M*A*S*H increased following his many appearances on GONG.

In all fairness, M*A*S*H was an ensemble piece rather than a star-driven vehicle.  But it was easier to take Klinger out of the dress once more people knew who he was (and those appearances on GONG didn't exactly hurt matters).

Getting back to the original point, does Charlene Tilton merit A-list status because she was on DALLAS (swimsuit modeling is another matter entirely)?  Ditto for Tempestt Bledsoe (the second youngest COSBY kid)?  Tritto for David Chokachi (BABEWATCH)?  :)

Doug--soon to celebrate 100 posts
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 09:21:55 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JMFabiano

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2003, 12:08:18 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 08:21 PM\'] [quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 05:21 PM\']The Gong Show seg. was a little better, but not devoid of similar cluelessness.  One of the B-level celebrities providing commentary brought up the, well, "B-level celebrities" who were panelists, and shortly thereafter Jamie Farr was mentioned.  Hello?  There's this little show that was around in the very decade you're covering...I believe it was called M*A*S*H.  I wonder whatever became of it?[/quote]
Just by being associated with a smash show doesn't automatically vault you into the realm of "A-list" celebrities.  While Farr's name was in the opening credits as one of the stars for much of its run, he was no billed no higher than sixth (even David Ogden Stiers, who joined M*A*S*H a couple of years after Farr did, got billed fifth).  In fact, I'd say Farr's visibility on M*A*S*H increased following his many appearances on GONG.

In all fairness, M*A*S*H was an ensemble piece rather than a star-driven vehicle.  But it was easier to take Klinger out of the dress once more people knew who he was (and those appearances on GONG didn't exactly hurt matters).

Getting back to the original point, does Charlene Tilton merit A-list status because she was on DALLAS (swimsuit modeling is another matter entirely)?  Ditto for Tempestt Bledsoe (the second youngest COSBY kid)?  Tritto for David Chokachi (BABEWATCH)?  :)

Doug--soon to celebrate 100 posts [/quote]
 Your argument has merit, and maybe I was wrong to tackle it from that angle.  Still, being on a hit show isn't being out of work, as the ILt70s commentaries suggested.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Matt Ottinger

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2003, 12:19:40 AM »
To me, it's particularly amusing to watch such titans of the entertainment industry as Michael Ian Black, Mo Rocca and Greg Proops making fun of these other peoples' careers.  They're all smart, funny men, but somehow don't get the irony that THEY are the Jamie Farrs of the new millenium, willing to do just about anything (including popular but cheesy basic cable specials) to stay in the public eye.  And none of them even have a M*A*S*H sized hit to their credit.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

whewfan

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2003, 03:46:14 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 08:21 PM\']
In all fairness, M*A*S*H was an ensemble piece rather than a star-driven vehicle. [/quote]
 It was indeed, but the ONLY character to have appeared in EVERY episode of M.A.S.H. was Hawkeye. This should surprise no one, since Alan Alda directed, wrote, and was creative consultant for several shows.
Coming in second place is probably Loretta Swit, but I don't recall any shows that I never saw her.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2003, 04:28:27 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 22 2003, 03:50 PM\']
If Jillian Barbarie can remember beyond what she had for breakfast most days, her mental capacities are far beyond anything _I'VE_ ever given her credit for.

LOL...did she even manage to get a contestant to the top of the WC in any of her Pyramid eps this past season?
 [/quote]
 More to the point, did she do it without dropping an F-bomb?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2003, 04:30:22 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 12:46 PM\'] It was indeed, but the ONLY character to have appeared in EVERY episode of M.A.S.H. was Hawkeye. This should surprise no one, since Alan Alda directed, wrote, and was creative consultant for several shows.
 [/quote]
 How to tell if Alan Alda has a writers or a director's credit in a given episode of M*A*S*H:

Hawkeye cries.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe