Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSM: The Sequel  (Read 14228 times)

GS Warehouse

GSM: The Sequel
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 04:17:02 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'120690\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 02:15 PM\']
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'120689\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 02:08 PM\']
If Chris Lemon isn't available to host[/quote]As much as I dislike spelling flames...

It's "G-a-m-e-s-h-o-w," not "G-a-z-p-a-c-h-o."  Get it right next time. ;-)[/quote]Gazpacho Marathon?  Nice try, Zink, but Celebrity Cooking Showdown failed.

uncamark

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 04:17:57 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'120716\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 02:55 PM\']
The ones that come to my mind would be better titled "Quiz Show Marathon" because there's much more wits and smarts involved instead of the gimmicks, stunts and other influences that each of these seven have.

I'd go:

Password
Pyramid
Jeopardy
Joker's Wild

and, some lesser-knowns such as Go and Chain Reaction.

Heck, if they want to cross-promote with GSN, they could use Lingo.
[/quote]

If not for that little problem regarding the fact that all but one of those shows are owned by Sony.

Neumms

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 04:57:24 PM »
If they tried it again--and remember, this is the network that trots out "Big Brother" every summer, so there's a chance they'd give it another shot--the biggest issue is the contestants.

Not only are these six barely recognizable, there's barely any interaction between them.

The first few Celebrity WWTBAMs were enjoyable because there was banter, competitiveness and good-natured ribbing. You need funny people who know each other, like, say, the casts of Drew Carey's show or "Everybody Loves Raymond." For that matter, celebrity poker is fun to watch.

Maybe it's just because they seem to actually enjoy playing games, as opposed to this group.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 05:10:49 PM »
Tattletales and Password would work just fine for this.
My other two suggestions are Celebrity Sweepstakes and, a pretty obscure entry in the US, Call My Bluff. (No I'm not joking)
If they could wrestle with Burt Sugarman for the okay to produce an episode of 'Sweepstakes' for this, it might just click. As for the latter, from what I've seen of it, the US version of Call My Bluff could've been a nice little daytime staple if the bluffs weren't so freakin horrible. At least the UK seemed to get it right.  It's also part of the Goodson-Todman library, so rights issues wouldn't be a problem.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 05:12:07 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 05:14:07 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'120712\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 03:32 PM\']
Mark:

Please note that FOXSportsFan didn't even call Press Your Luck an "intelligent game."  He said it was "the closest thing to an intelligent game" (emphasis mine), which pretty much implies that he thinks it isn't one.

Are you so desperate for a reason to complain that you're willing to make one up?
[/quote]

Thank you, Zink.  That was my point.  It's the closest thing to an intelligent game in the marathon, which says nothing.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 05:20:18 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'120730\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 04:14 PM\']
Thank you, Zink.  That was my point.  It's the closest thing to an intelligent game in the marathon, which says nothing.
[/quote]
I would argue that one would need a relative bit of intelligence to play FF well, but otherwise point well taken.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2000 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 05:31:24 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'120731\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 05:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'120730\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 04:14 PM\']
[/quote]
I would argue that one would need a relative bit of intelligence to play FF well, but otherwise point well taken.

[/quote]

The only argument against Feud is you answering opinion based questions.  Press Your Luck throws out 8 knowledge based...ok rudimentary knowledge...okay Stevie Wonder can see the answer-style knowledge questions.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 06:02:26 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'120733\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 04:31 PM\']
The only argument against Feud is you answering opinion based questions.  [/quote]
Which I think takes a little bit of intelligence to pull off.  Doesn't mean you're gonna get the answers right every time, but you have a better shot than one not so brainy.

YMMV.

Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SteveR

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 06:33:58 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'120720\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 04:17 PM\']
If not for that little problem regarding the fact that all but one of those shows are owned by Sony.[/quote]
I knew I left something out. I was going to preface my idea with a 'inconsiderate of who-owns-what' disclaimer.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 01:53:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'120702\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 11:59 AM\']
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'120697\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 01:46 PM\']
2) Press Your Luck can be played intelligently. [/quote]
I'll give you one sentence to explain this statement...and how the show wasn't a bunch of goops who couldn't pass The $25,000 Pyramid audition to save their lives.
[/quote]

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'120705\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 12:04 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'120702\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 11:59 AM\']
I'll give you one sentence to explain this statement...and how the show wasn't a bunch of goops who couldn't pass The $25,000 Pyramid audition to save their lives.
[/quote]
I don't believe Travis is beholden to you for anything.
[/quote]
I'm not, and Mark's reply indicates that he has no interest in my reply. Here goes anyway, for the rest of the group.

Any game can be played intelligently, even if it's not what you would call "An intelligent game" (Which you can't, because intelligence is a trait only found in people and animals). Even so, players could count the number of whammies on the board, and stop when that number is one or two. Use risk analysis to figure out when to pass or when to play. If one player has built up a big spin lead, buzz in early on the fourth question to kill the 3-spin bonus. There are lots of things that can be done to swing the odds in your favor; it so happens that most people chose not to employ those strategies.
Travis L. Eberle

uncamark

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 12:43:20 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'120736\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 05:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'120733\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 04:31 PM\']
The only argument against Feud is you answering opinion based questions.  [/quote]
Which I think takes a little bit of intelligence to pull off.  Doesn't mean you're gonna get the answers right every time, but you have a better shot than one not so brainy.[/quote]

And any moron can turn over the top half of a six-answer-plus board.  It gets a little harder when you're trying to turn over the bottom of the board.

And it all depends on the material.  Now if they had "name a type of philosophy" or "name an element on the Periodic Table..."

Jay Temple

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 01:47:08 AM »
Here goes. As SteveR said, I'm pretending we can get clearances to play all the games. First, get players who can play. Second, I'm okay with Ricki continuing.

Day 1: Pyramid With three games, everyone can play twice. (If they happen to choose three male celebs and three female, naturally you set it up so that all pairings consist of one male, one female.) Teams split the money they win, and the player who wins the most money is that night's winner.

Day 2: SP/P+, but it would just be identified as Password. I figure you'd have time for five puzzles and five bonus rounds, with pairings like this:
  • Game 1: A&B v. C&D, E sits out
  • Game 2: A&C v. B&E, D sits out
  • Game 3: B&C v. D&E, A sits out
  • Game 4: A&D v. C&E, B sits out
  • Game 5: A&E v. B&D, C sits out
Each puzzle is followed by the Alphabetics round. As with Pyramid, teams split their winnings, and the person with the most winnings is that day's winner. (Obviously, if a puzzle is unsolved, we can edit it out.)

Day 3: Scrabble, with the format that they used when games were self-contained
Day 4: WoF

Day 5 or 6: Concentration The one whose prize total is the highest wins.
Day 5 or 6: High Rollers, 2 of 3 games wins

Day 7: Hollywood Squares, self-contained version
My preference would be to include the four losing celebrities among the nine squares.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2006, 03:12:27 AM »
I don't know about that Password setup, man. Not that I'm a genius on this topic, but I don't think anybody would allow 5 bonus rounds to be played on one show, even if it is a hour- it's overkill. You have to put something in the second half of the hour that will make viewers want to keep watching.
My quick suggestion? Put Password on Day 3 instead. Have the contestants paired with other celebrities in a tournament format similar to Beat The Clock's, where the bonus round is played by the winner at the end of the show.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

WhammyPower

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 09:41:47 AM »
Using Fremantle-owned formats, here's my line-up:

Day 1: The Price is Right (Grand Game, Cliffhangers, One Away)
Day 2: Scrabble (With the one who lost the Showcase Showdown acting as "champion," and the three celebrities remaining in Contestants' Row. Each game won is $500, on top of any bonuses. Bonus Sprint is played for $25,000, or a "fast" car priced somewhere around $30,000.)
Day 3: Distraction (obviously, with stunts clean enough for primetime television.)
Day 4: Press Your Luck
Day 5: Match Game (PM format)
Day 6: Hollywood Squares (I like the idea of using the eliminated celebrities, except I'd add them to the Match Game panel for our 9 squares, with the one who got eliminated in Match Game becoming the center square.)
Day 7: Family Feud

As for celebrities, I'd get anybody I can get, as long as their names aren't Kathy Griffin or Leslie Nielsen.

Also, all of these episodes would air in the span of one week, a la Millionaire and Deal.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 09:50:05 AM by WhammyPower »

Don Howard

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2006, 11:01:19 AM »
Here's my trip through Fantasy Island:
* The host is Wink Martindale---there could be an Orbitz tie-in
* The announcer is Charlie O'Donnell  
* The contestants are NOT celebrities. They are former grand champions.
Brad Rutter, Thom McKee, Rob Griffin, John Hatten, John Goss, Dan Avila.
Sub three ladies for three men if it must be 50:50 guys to gals.
* Make 'em all quiz games.
* Audience members at home or charities share the winnings of the contestants.
* Shows: $otC, Split Second, The Challengers, Twenty One, Tic Tac Dough, Trivia Trap, History IQ.
Jeopardy! is not included since it's still on the air and I don't want to deal with the inevitable comparisons.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 11:27:33 AM by Don Howard »