Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "1 vs. 100" casting notice  (Read 16564 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"1 vs. 100" casting notice
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2006, 06:23:42 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'127398\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 02:31 PM\']
As a guy who got called to fly out on my own dime, be in the mob for one game, and then use up my one game show opportunity for a year in the process: Pass.
[/quote]
Yeah, that's really stupid, I agree. They would do better to do something akin to the Jackpot system of a player who gets a question wrong swapping out with one of the Mob members who was alive at the time of his demise. (I like your idea of taking the live Mob member who answered their questions the fastest.) Or kicking the One out, replacing him with a live Mob member, and then bringing in a new player into the Mob. Of course, that requires the contestant coordinators to do a lot of work, since each member of the Mob has to be vetted as being of sufficient "quality" (in terms of being a good, interesting, attractive contestant) to potentially occupy the seat as the One.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 06:24:00 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2006, 06:28:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'127409\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 06:23 PM\']
Of course, that requires the contestant coordinators to do a lot of work, since each member of the Mob has to be vetted as being of sufficient "quality" (in terms of being a good, interesting, attractive contestant) to potentially occupy the seat as the One.
[/quote]
Well, heaven forbid they actually have to work to find capable game players instead of purty people. If the tryout was any indication, we're in for a few million dollar wins because 100 actors/waiters/skylers can't answer a few trivia questions.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

mmb5

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2006, 09:25:25 PM »
Taping Times:

Saturday -- 16 hours for 2 shows
Sunday -- 15 hours for 3 shows

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Lars

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2006, 09:28:31 PM »
I was at the taping on Saturday afternoon, although none of my group got to be taped, as the first taping was painfully slow, due to probable ineptitude of the part of the people making the show.  Also, Bob Saget was requiring numerous reshoots, so that the first game took three hours to shoot, and there are supposed to be three games in each show, as I understood.  Perhaps they'll get the hang of it after a while, but I was extremely upset when I learned that Bob was going to be the host, as I was led to believe that it would be the guy who hosted at the audition.  I was told I could come back on Sunday at 7:45am, and I said no thanks.  There's no way I would want to be on a show with Bob Saget - he has one of the worst personalities on TV, and everyone I know finds him incredibly annoying.  Oddly enough, a woman from Malibu who was in my mob is a huge Bob Saget fan, but most people who talked with her questioned her sanity.

The last game show taping I went to as a contestant was Hollywood Squares back in 1989 or 1990 (too long ago to remember), and that was much more professionally done.  At HS we got to watch closed-circuit TV of the taping of the show while we were waiting backstage, and at 1 vs 100, we were treated like cattle.  Here are the rules:
Gameshow Rules:
All Cell Phones, Pagers, Blackberries etc. must be left at home or in the car during the taping experience.  No reading material, games, laptops, notebooks or learning material of any sort are permitted at any time on the set or in the green room.  We need to refrain from the appearance of impropriety.  In the nature of parity, we will provide you with approved magazines and movies to keep you entertained during down time.
 However, NO magazines or movies were provided, and the mob members were understandably unhappy.

clemon79

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2006, 10:10:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Lars\' post=\'127430\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 06:28 PM\']
There's no way I would want to be on a show with Bob Saget - he has one of the worst personalities on TV, and everyone I know finds him incredibly annoying.
[/quote]
And you're willing to let that stand between you and a potential hundreds of thousands of dollars in winnings?

That's either exceptionally principled, or exceptionally stupid.
At HS we got to watch closed-circuit TV of the taping of the show while we were waiting backstage, and at 1 vs 100, we were treated like cattle.
You post on Craigslist, by any chance?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2006, 11:14:10 PM »
This is starting to sound like a disaster in the making. Marathon tapings and cranky contestants do not good television make. They should admit defeat now, fold up their tent and put everyone out of their misery. IMO.

narzo

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2006, 12:30:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Lars\' post=\'127430\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 08:28 PM\']
 There's no way I would want to be on a show with Bob Saget - he has one of the worst personalities on TV, and everyone I know finds him incredibly annoying.
[/quote]

they know him personally?  Facinating, I would like to hear more.  

You do realize that wholsome act he has on TV is just that, an act.  Listen to his stand-up sometime, it's filthy (and very funny)

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2006, 02:01:20 AM »
It gets worse.

A friend of a friend (no, really!) was in the mob on Saturday.  According to my friend, his friend got to the studio around 8 AM.  Before taping began at 10 AM, they gave everyone a chance to go to the bathroom.  They neglected to tell them, however, that it would be their last chance to do so until taping ended.

Taping ended at 3 PM.  FIVE HOURS later.

One woman in the mob wanted to be on the show so badly that she literally-- and I'm not making this up-- peed in her pants rather than violate the rules and leave the set.

Any conclusions about the levels of experience and professionalism of the showrunners are left as an exercise to the reader.

BrandonFG

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2006, 02:49:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' post=\'127451\' date=\'Aug 15 2006, 02:01 AM\']
Any conclusions about the levels of experience and professionalism of the showrunners are left as an exercise to the reader.
[/quote]
That being said, it's prolly gonna be a hit.

I really hate to pre-judge, but so far, I've found nothing compelling about this show that would make me wanna watch. From the format to the treatment of the contestant pool, it sounds like crap. Maybe I need to send out my resume to some production companies. At least the primetime games from early-2000 had interesting elements.

/Even It's Your Chance of a Lifetime
//Slashes rock!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

thgames65

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2006, 12:25:42 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'127456\' date=\'Aug 15 2006, 01:49 AM\']
That being said, it's prolly gonna be a hit.

I really hate to pre-judge, but so far, I've found nothing compelling about this show that would make me wanna watch. From the format to the treatment of the contestant pool, it sounds like crap. Maybe I need to send out my resume to some production companies. At least the primetime games from early-2000 had interesting elements.

/Even It's Your Chance of a Lifetime
//Slashes rock!
[/quote]

I have a few comments posted at buzzerblog about my experience in the Mob on Saturday and Sunday.  Not much, given the code of omerta we must follow, but I can enlighten folks more after the shows air.

And yes, I would say that IYCOAL had some good elements.  :)

Tim H.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2006, 01:11:52 PM »
Someone bitched again about the game on Craigslist.  If you read it, there are some spoilers, however.  It seems like people in the mob didn't realize what they were getting in to.  The NBC version of "1 vs. 100" is a bit more about the 100 than the Dutch counterpart, but the game is still all about The One.  It's like they didn't read the rules.  This entire thing reminds me of the Deal or No Deal contestant who, allegedly in the pre-button NBC episodes, said No Deal instead of Deal and basically started a gigantic riot.  

Craigslist posting
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 01:13:33 PM by itiparanoid13 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2006, 01:16:08 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'127444\' date=\'Aug 15 2006, 12:30 AM\']
[quote name=\'Lars\' post=\'127430\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 08:28 PM\']
[/quote]

they know him personally?  Facinating, I would like to hear more.  

You do realize that wholsome act he has on TV is just that, an act.  Listen to his stand-up sometime, it's filthy (and very funny)
[/quote]

A few things, Mr. "everybody on this board is lower than me":

1)Lars didn't say that they knew Bob Saget personally. He said everyone he knows finds Saget annoying. Read before you type.

2)I know that Saget's not really like that, but unfortunately his TV act has him pigeonholed. He's never gonna get past being a neat freak father on a schmaltzy sitcom, no matter how raunchy his act is. Nobody's gonna be able to connect the two unless they see him on stage.

3)If you're gonna criticize people for flaming and call them names like "brats", you shouldn't give people reasons to flame you. In other words, LEARN PROPER GRAMMAR, and to spell. (I'm not usually one for spelling flames, but when they're warranted, they're warranted.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2006, 01:28:22 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'127503\' date=\'Aug 15 2006, 10:16 AM\']
2)I know that Saget's not really like that, but unfortunately his TV act has him pigeonholed. He's never gonna get past being a neat freak father on a schmaltzy sitcom, no matter how raunchy his act is. Nobody's gonna be able to connect the two unless they see him on stage.
[/quote]
I don't think that's true at all.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2006, 02:21:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' post=\'127451\' date=\'Aug 15 2006, 02:01 AM\']
It gets worse.

A friend of a friend (no, really!) was in the mob on Saturday.  According to my friend, his friend got to the studio around 8 AM.  Before taping began at 10 AM, they gave everyone a chance to go to the bathroom.  They neglected to tell them, however, that it would be their last chance to do so until taping ended.

Taping ended at 3 PM.  FIVE HOURS later.

One woman in the mob wanted to be on the show so badly that she literally-- and I'm not making this up-- peed in her pants rather than violate the rules and leave the set.

[/quote]

At least on "Distraction" they provided on-set toilets.  Would there be a market for a new primetime game show called "Bladder of Success."?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2006, 02:24:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'127509\' date=\'Aug 15 2006, 11:21 AM\']
At least on "Distraction" they provided on-set toilets.  Would there be a market for a new primetime game show called "Bladder of Success."?
[/quote]
Winnar.