Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Have a mic just like the ones Bob and Gene use!  (Read 3514 times)

Kevin Prather

Have a mic just like the ones Bob and Gene use!
« on: September 02, 2003, 02:18:31 PM »
How do you do it, you ask? Why...you make it yourself! I haven't done it yet, but I will soon. The way I see it, it should be very easy. Here's how I'd do it...

MATERIALS:

1) NovoPen (The NovoPen is a telescoping pen that doubles as a pointer. Your best bet is to get these from your doctor.)

2) A clip-on microphone. (You can get these at Radio Shack or Electronics Boutique for somewhere in the $20-40 range. It is crutial you buy a clip-on microphone with a NARROW HEAD AND WINDSCREEN. I'll tell you why later.)

3) A mic adaptor. (One with a small jack and a large plug...don't say it, or I'll beat you over the head with Bill Daily.)

4) Another mic adapter. (one with a large jack and a three-prong plug.)

5) A standard microphone cord.

6) An amplifier. (You don't need this, but if you want your microphone to work...)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Take apart your NovoPen by removing the bottom, and pushing out the extentions one by one. Make sure you save, and keep track of the coil stoppers that come with each extention. There should be two per extention.

2) Once all extentions are separate, set aside the bottom three or four extentions for your microphone. Make sure you use the bottom three or four, because you won't be able to fit your mic cable through the top three extentions.

3) Making sure you have your stoppers lined up, put the top extention inside the next-to-top extention. This will be tricky, and you want to be careful, because the edges of the extentions can be sharp. Once you've done that, repeat the process with the next extention, and if you have 4, the next extention. Don't worry about the pen handle. You don't need it.

4) Now that you have the body of your microphone, you are ready to attach the mic. Close the body of your microphone most of the way, but leave part of the top extention sticking out, or it'll be a pisser trying to get it out.

5) Take your clip-on microphone, and remove the clip. Thread the microphone part through the bottom, through the body, and out the top. I say it is crutial to have a mic with a small head and a windscreen, because you need to fit it through the small hole. When the microphone is all the way through, you can tape the bottom of the head to the body, and then attach the windscreen.

6) When the mic is in place, make sure the jack is still sticking out. Attach the appropriate microphone adaptor to that jack. You can tape them together if you want.

7) Attach the second adaptor to the first adaptor. You can tape them together if you want.

8) Attach the cord to the second adaptor.

9) Plug the cord into your amplifier. Turn on the amplifier and try her out!

And there you have it! A working Bob Barker / Gene Rayburn microphone for under $100!

As mentioned earlier, I'm not positive this will work, but I'm gonna try it as soon as i can. Good luck to any of you who wants to try it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 03:39:23 PM »
Electronically, this compares to a real professional microphone as a Plinko chip does to a potato chip, but it might be fun to make as a prop, I suppose. I don't see where you're gonna find a lav mic that will thread through that telescoping setup of yours, tho. I'd sooner sever the wire, thread it through, and solder it back together.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 03:39:48 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 07:16:25 PM »
you have a good point. If it came down to it, i could take my setup apart, and saw the more narrow ones open, and put the cable in that way.

we'll see.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 07:31:46 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 11:18 AM\'] 3) A mic adaptor. (One with a small jack and a large plug...don't say it, or I'll beat you over the head with Bill Daily.)

[/quote]
 Incidentally, lemme help with the translations here:

3) is a female 1/8\" minijack to 1/4\" plug adapter, like the one that is included with any good pair of headsets.

4) is a female 1/4\" jack to male Cannon/XLR adapter, which I have kicking around my audio box somewhere...I used to use it to get a signal out of a mixer converted to something I could shoot into a Marantz tape recorder (or, using an attenuator cable, into my little Radio Schlock tape deck, since it didn't take a line-level signal) when I did sports broadcasting in college. Run you about $15 at Radio Schlock, IIRC.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 09:28:32 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 06:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 11:18 AM\'] 3) A mic adaptor. (One with a small jack and a large plug...don't say it, or I'll beat you over the head with Bill Daily.)

[/quote]
Incidentally, lemme help with the translations here:

3) is a female 1/8" minijack to 1/4" plug adapter, like the one that is included with any good pair of headsets.

4) is a female 1/4" jack to male Cannon/XLR adapter, which I have kicking around my audio box somewhere...I used to use it to get a signal out of a mixer converted to something I could shoot into a Marantz tape recorder (or, using an attenuator cable, into my little Radio Schlock tape deck, since it didn't take a line-level signal) when I did sports broadcasting in college. Run you about $15 at Radio Schlock, IIRC. [/quote]
 thanks.