Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 vs. 100 coming to NBC...  (Read 7595 times)

itiparanoid13

1 vs. 100 coming to NBC...
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 10:48:49 PM »
Well, Millionaire fairly soon.....

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 10:49:28 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'117084\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 04:39 PM\']I don't get it. The whole point of most game shows is risking what you have to win more. Let's Make a Deal, Hollywood Showdown, Sale of the Century, The Joker's Wild (originally, and I thought the Joker's Jackpot was very clever).[/quote]

[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'117165\' date=\'Apr 27 2006, 11:56 AM\']
"Most" TV game shows play a match to a finish and, if there is a returning champion, he or she plays until defeated. I didn't see where Ken Jennings was risking his prior winnings to continue playing, nor was he afforded the opportunity to stop playing, take his money and go home. I never saw a WML? contestant get up from the desk and say, "Thanks, Mr. Daly, $20 is enough for me. I'm leaving."[/quote]You'll note I didn't mention "Jeopardy!" or "What's My Line?" in the list above. "What's My Line" would be completely ludicrous if John Daly had to ask the guest if he wanted to risk his 20 bucks to go for 25. That's not much of a leap. I was saying that there are more than a few game shows that have employed the 'take it or leave it' mechanic. Many game shows just wouldn't work with it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 10:51:32 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 11:42:40 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'117169\' date=\'Apr 27 2006, 01:03 PM\'] Here's Variety's article on the show (which supposedly NBC greenlit the same day Endemol pitched it to them):

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117942076?cs=1&s=h&p=0
[/quote]Any word on contestant calls or audience info for this? I realize it's early, but I've always thought that getting in on a show earlier makes for a better chance at a bigger win.

--Charlie, MPW
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

itiparanoid13

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 07:00:53 AM »
NBC stated to me that they have nothing planned yet and can't release any more information.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 10:03:50 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'117226\' date=\'Apr 27 2006, 10:49 PM\']
 I was saying that there are more than a few game shows that have employed the 'take it or leave it' mechanic.
[/quote]
Well, actually what you said was "most" game shows, and for that to be true you'd have to draw just about the broadest definition possible of risk vs reward.

This game being discussed is one contestant answering trivia questions for ever-rising stakes, and risking significant amounts of those stakes on every question, because a wrong answer ends the game.  That's pretty derivative, and yes, there have been a lot of those.  In fact, the idea that "there are more than a few game shows that have employed the 'take it or leave it' mechanic" was precisely Chris' original point that you claimed not to "get".

There are plenty of other ways that risk is introduced into a game show.  (Daily Doubles, Bankrupts, Stoppers, Whammies, Zonks)  Without some kind of risk, you often don't have much of a game.  This particular kind of risk, though, is in the $64K mode, and Chris' point was that lots of producers have gone down that path.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 11:41:33 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WhammyPower

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 03:27:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'117095\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 08:23 PM\']
I had always thought that a better title for an English-language version of the game than the literally-translated "1 vs 100" would be "1-on-100", as a play off the phrase "one-on-one".
[/quote]
I prefer "One Wars All"  (Instead of "one for all")
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 03:28:26 PM by WhammyPower »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 03:45:24 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'117260\' date=\'Apr 28 2006, 12:27 PM\']
I prefer "One Wars All"  (Instead of "one for all")
[/quote]
Wow.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 03:59:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'117252\' date=\'Apr 28 2006, 07:03 AM\']
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'117226\' date=\'Apr 27 2006, 10:49 PM\']
 I was saying that there are more than a few game shows that have employed the 'take it or leave it' mechanic.
[/quote]
Well, actually what you said was "most" game shows, and for that to be true you'd have to draw just about the broadest definition possible of risk vs reward.[/quote] Which is what I meant. Most game shows have you risking something to win something.

Without some kind of risk, you often don't have much of a game.  
That was my point, in so many words. I think we agree on this point, though it doesn't seem like it.

This particular kind of risk, though, is in the $64K mode, and Chris' point was that lots of producers have gone down that path.
Which is fine by me, because it's a compelling way to do a game show. If "1 versus the World" were to have it so that you had to knock out the whole crowd to cash in, that would work too.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 04:09:39 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'117262\' date=\'Apr 28 2006, 12:59 PM\']
Which is what I meant. Most game shows have you risking something to win something.
[/quote]
But that isn't true, unless you're including "the possibility of losing" among those things you risk, and you'd have to agree that is indeed a pretty broad definition of risk.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 04:21:03 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'117262\' date=\'Apr 28 2006, 03:59 PM\']That was my point, in so many words. I think we agree on this point, though it doesn't seem like it.[/quote]
The issue is one of parameters.  You claimed that you didn't "get" Chris' comment about how specifically similar this show (and so many others) are to $64K, because most game shows involve some kind of risk.  That's a little like saying you don't "get" how apples and oranges are different, because they're both fruits with seeds.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 04:21:29 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Gus

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2006, 08:52:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'117125\' date=\'Apr 27 2006, 05:08 AM\']
I see what you've done with it, but that doesn't sit right with me at all.

I prefer "One Against One Hundred", which I believe is the literal translation anyway.
[/quote]

I should probably have mentioned that, in my thinking, for the name "One on 100" to work, it would have to be always pronounced "One on One Hundred" and with the same cadence as the phrase "one on one", which is contained within the title and is kind of a stock phrase that English speakers are already familiar with, which, if you think about it, is essentially what the game is when the group of 100 is narrowed down to one player - it's one-on-one, so it's a logical, even somewhat punning extrapolation. "One on a hundred" doesn't carry the same effect for me, and perhaps that's what you had been thinking.

I also prefer "on" to "versus" or "against" because-- I dunno... less syllables? Less forced, perhaps? I even think "One vs. 100" or "One Against 100" don't roll off the tongue quite as well as "One on One Hundred" or even "Één tegen hondert". ("Tegen" is actually one syllable, pronounced kinda like "teyhh".) I've always felt that literal translations for their own sake are only really practical or useful as glosses to an original text, and if a different word, phrase, or construction can be used to convey the same idea in the target language better than the literal meaning of the source word, it should be used, and I feel this is such a case. (I also feel that different situations or usages can warrant different translations, such as if something is a title, or if it's a phrase in a passage of prose, or part of a line of poetry. Tangential rant over.)

I also think that the connection with the phrase "one-on-one" makes the title more, say, catchy; more easily remembered when you make that connection; possibly more uniklely to be misquoted; even forms a better catchphrase all because of the simple connection to and extrapolation of a familiar stock phrase. The title "Deal or No Deal" works on the exact same principle, I suspect, because "Deal" and "No Deal" were already stock phrases in English that were easily melded into a memorable catchphrase.

Wow, that was unexpectedly long, and about three days late to boot. I kinda just wanted to put into words the reason why I like the title "One on 100", and that I'm not really seeing anything that stands out to me in other people's suggestions. Anyone care to rebuke this defence of my idea with one for their own? Unlike some people on this board who may or may not still be among us, I actually enjoy constructive criticism. (Keyword being "constructive".)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 08:53:35 AM by Gus »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2006, 10:42:36 AM »
I don't mind the title "1 vs. 100," but if you prefer fewer syllables, you could always go with "1 V 100."
"One Against All" might flow better off the tongue, but I don't see a need to change the title from "1 vs. 100."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2006, 11:18:46 AM »
Talpa's "Een Tegen 100"'s season finale is today at around 3:35-3:45PM ET.  You can view it online at the link provided.

http://www.garnierstreamingmedia.com/asx/talpastream1.asp

Starting next week, the Dutch version of Deal or No Deal, called Miljoenenjacht, comes back for another short run.

Charlie Owens

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2006, 04:47:18 AM »
Just because "Millionaire" was the first to offer $1,000,000 in a Q/A show doesn't mean that every big money quiz show is going to be a clone of it.

*coughmilliondollarchanceofalifetimehostedbyjimperryiirccough*

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2006, 06:39:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Charlie Owens\' post=\'117580\' date=\'May 3 2006, 03:47 AM\']
Just because "Millionaire" was the first to offer $1,000,000 in a Q/A show doesn't mean that every big money quiz show is going to be a clone of it.

*coughmilliondollarchanceofalifetimehostedbyjimperryiirccough*
[/quote]
*coughmilliondollarchanceofalifetimewasapuzzle/wordgamecough*
Besides that, it was hosted by Jim Lange.

Sorry, Charlie.
--Mark
Phil 4:13