Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 vs. 100 coming to NBC...  (Read 7598 times)

FlashStash

1 vs. 100 coming to NBC...
« on: April 26, 2006, 07:42:32 AM »
from cynopsis.com...

"Coming from across the pond and from Endemol USA is 1 vs. 100, a game show where a contestant who correctly answers a series of trivia questions, could win up to $3 million, according to Variety. Picked up by NBC, the series is from the same folks who bring you Deal or No Deal, and uses some of the same game show devices, including being given a choice of taking your winnings and leaving the table at any time. No word yet on who Endemol and NBC will name as a host, but that piece is of course critical to any game show's success. Who would you put in? The list of who not put in is considerably easier. "

FS

itiparanoid13

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »
I'm waiting for Mike to chime in with me on this one.  1 VS 100 is a terrific show and is what the main game of Winning Lines should have always been.  Dutch version has a great music score also.  It's a nice little tough trivia game.  The only difference from the Dutch version is the massive payout (1 VS 100 is basically when Miljoenenjacht runs out of money) and appparently we're giving people the option to stop.  How many people are going to cry Millionaire-clone?  BTW, the season finale of 1 VS 100 airs on Talpa at 3:45 this Sunday.  I think we can post a link up so you can get a feel for it.

FlashStash

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:49:44 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'117034\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 09:33 AM\']
I'm waiting for Mike to chime in with me on this one.  1 VS 100 is a terrific show and is what the main game of Winning Lines should have always been.  Dutch version has a great music score also.  It's a nice little tough trivia game.  The only difference from the Dutch version is the massive payout (1 VS 100 is basically when Miljoenenjacht runs out of money) and appparently we're giving people the option to stop.  How many people are going to cry Millionaire-clone?  BTW, the season finale of 1 VS 100 airs on Talpa at 3:45 this Sunday.  I think we can post a link up so you can get a feel for it.
[/quote]

Is there a link somewhere to the rules of the game?

FS

itiparanoid13

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 02:56:02 PM »
Not really, but this is how it goes.

100 audience members, 1 player, 1 host.  The host reads a category, and the contestant chooses a medium or hard question.  The 101 players get the same question.  Audience members have about 10 seconds to lock in their answer, and the hot seat player has unlimited time.  Every audience member that is incorrect is out of the game.  Every audience member correct stays in the game.  If the hot seat player answers a question wrong ever (they don't get the option to stop), the game is over and they lose everything.  If the hot seat player gets it right, they get ($50,000/# of active audience players) per audience member gone, so the first question is worth $500 per audience member out.  

If the player gets stuck, he/she gets three chances to get the answer right automatically.  However, it'll cost 25%, 50%, and then 75% of his/her bank at that point.  The player can also choose to double the question value, so if you use the double at the correct time and eliminate the rest of the audience, that question is worth $100,000.  The only way to win is to knock out all 100 audience members, and games can take a LONG time.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 03:03:12 PM »
a contestant who correctly answers a series of trivia questions [SNIP] a choice of taking your winnings and leaving the table at any time.
Criminey sakes, how many different packagers have come up with a rip-off of The $64,000 Question?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 03:04:31 PM by chris319 »

catkins522

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 03:07:11 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'117059\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 03:03 PM\']
a contestant who correctly answers a series of trivia questions [SNIP] a choice of taking your winnings and leaving the table at any time.
Criminey sakes, how many different packagers have come up with a rip-off of The $64,000 Question?
[/quote]

Or the Bonus Round from "The Better Sex", but 1 vs 100 has money.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 03:51:31 PM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'117031\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 06:42 AM\']
and uses some of the same game show devices, including being given a choice of taking your winnings and leaving the table at any time. [/quote]
How is this special?  Millionaire let you do the same.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 03:55:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'117062\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 03:51 PM\']
and uses some of the same game show devices, including being given a choice of taking your winnings and leaving the table at any time. [/quote]
[/quote]
I don't recall anything in the original post -- or in the story the original post quoted, for that matter -- that says it's special.  In fact, "some of the same game show devices, including..." pretty much indicates the exact opposite, doesn't it?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 03:55:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'117062\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 02:51 PM\']
[/quote]
Not sure it is special.  I *think* the point of that part of the release was that it's produced by the people who do DoND and uses some similar elements as DoND.  IOW, if you like DoND, you'll like this.

At least that's what I took out of that sentence.  YMMV.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1900 continues (and Dave's still a much faster typist :) )
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 03:58:06 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tvwxman

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 04:27:28 PM »
First off, i'm a fan of Ein Tegen 100, and have waited for this to come overseas.

But, i'm a little curious to see how this show is going to look after NBC adds models, hyperactive contestants, their families, ponies, Hummers, WWE-family related players, the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, an overcaffeniated audience, a choir, and a puppy.

If they can get past all of that, this should be a great game. And, looking farther into the crystal Storm Team 8 Skymax Doppler 8-Ball, a good companion for D/nD when they introduce them both as an hour combo in syndication for Fall 2007.

(Yes, I do get paid well to make predictions.)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Mr. Bill

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 04:59:05 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'117065\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 04:27 PM\']
First off, i'm a fan of Ein Tegen 100, and have waited for this to come overseas.

But, i'm a little curious to see how this show is going to look after NBC adds models, hyperactive contestants, their families, ponies, Hummers, WWE-family related players, the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, an overcaffeniated audience, a choir, and a puppy.
[/quote]
You forgot the clowns, the rabbit, and the whole home town.  :)

weaklink75

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 05:01:48 PM »
It's interesting...the "option to stop" changes the game a little, but I would think they'd add a major bonus prize for knocking out all the players that might tempt people to go on (say, maybe, a progressive of $500,000 plus $50K for every game that goes by without it being won?) Because on the Talpa version, the winners are only usually in the 80-120K range (since the use of the bailouts are so expensive- especially the last one)...

If this is done right, this could be as big as DoND,but the host choice is going to be very critical.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 05:06:06 PM »
Throw in a shaved-head emcee, motorized spotlights, creepy music and an isolation booth.

Any truth to the rumor that Ricki Lake has been offered the emcee job if she will shave her head?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 05:12:37 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'117034\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 09:33 AM\']I'm waiting for Mike to chime in with me on this one.

*snip*

I think we can post a link up so you can get a feel for it.[/quote]
Here I am.  First, I need to pick my lower jaw off the floor.  Good heavens, this is great unexpected news.  Even though the scoring format is quite different and might incorporate the use of graphing calculators or slide rules by viewers [the # of incorrect players x the floor of (€50,000/# of players in the round), as Alex said], this game is very impressive.

Talpa streams its shows at http://www.talpa.tv  There is an archive of shows at that site, but you need a login and password.

Prediction time:  Just like Een Tegen 100 in the Netherlands, could this be filler during Deal or No Deal's hiatus?

[quote name=\'catkins522\' post=\'117061\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 03:07 PM\']Or the Bonus Round from "The Better Sex", but 1 vs 100 has money.[/quote]
There were just 50 audience members in The Better Sex bonus round.

[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'117065\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 04:27 PM\']

*snip again*

If they can get past all of that, this should be a great game. And, looking farther into the crystal Storm Team 8 Skymax Doppler 8-Ball, a good companion for D/nD when they introduce them both as an hour combo in syndication for Fall 2007.[/quote]
It would be a great complement to Deal, no doubt.  I don't think this would work well as a half hour show.  The Dutch format is time-consuming, between video questions and the presentation of Postcode Loterij checks to lottery winners.  This past Sunday, one contestant was in the Een Tegen 100 hot seat for the entire show, ultimately missing a question when he was down to two competitors.  Thus, this single hot seat player would be on for two, possibly three half hour shows.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 07:12:38 PM by hmtriplecrown »

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 06:56:32 PM »
This sounds like it could be a pretty good show, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm really hoping that just because Endemol/NBC has a hit with D/ND, that they won't use the same gimmicks for this.

Then again, if it's trivia-based, the contestants should actually have some brains here. ;-)

Looks like game shows are picking back up again...2007 could be a very good year!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!