Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any interesting GS news?  (Read 4609 times)

Shredder

Any interesting GS news?
« on: August 31, 2003, 05:30:21 PM »
Dealing with Obsessive Cumpolsive Disorder, Gameshows have not been the top of my list of priorities, but now that I'm getting it a bit more under control, I want to keep up with the news I've missed on the past month or two.

Anything interesting I should be aware of?

Thanks..

PeterMarshallFan

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 05:48:10 PM »
-Russian Roulette, according to Cronin himself, is dead. So is Friend or Foe.

-On Sep. 21st, GSN will run a 21-hour marathon of....you guessed it, Twenty-One!

-WinTuition's prospects are grim, with low ratings and Marc Summers now hosting Trivia Unwrapped for Food Network, it likely is gone.

-G4 recently aquired the rights to and aired the 26 episodes of Starcade hosted by Mark Richards.

-Tattletales has been pulled from GSN [again]

-Chuck Woolery: Naturally Stoned is finished and dead. Chuck's marriage collapsed during the series' run and he was refused to do any more episodes. The final ep was a controversial topic for a while.

-All the PAX games are dead, as the network is 900 million dollars in debt, but Shop 'til you Drop is being revived again, this time without Pat Finn.

-No news in months on Play for a Billion [is it cancelled?]

-Oct. 1st GSN is running a one hour game with 5 CA governor candidates. This is a pretty hot topic and it seems there is an even division between those who like the idea and those who don't.

-Also in October, GSN is adding a 2 hour video game block consisting of two British programs, \"Gamer.TV\" and \"Game Sauce.\" The block is made up of 2 \"Gamer.TV\" eps and a \"Game Sauce\" ep. The block will air 5-7pm on Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. G4 previously had these shows but dropped them because they were unpopular.

Brandon Brooks

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 05:55:39 PM »
Russian Roulette, according to Cronin himself, is dead. So is Friend or Foe.
Point in the direction of this, please.

No news in months on Play for a Billion [is it cancelled?]
Well, there have been numerous commericials, or maybe I've just been seeing them.  It's airing the 15th.

Brandon Brooks

PeterMarshallFan

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 06:07:49 PM »

SB had it on his site but it's gone.

Well, there have been numerous commericials, or maybe I've just been seeing them. It's airing the 15th.

I haven't seen them. Thanks.

Brandon Brooks

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2003, 06:24:20 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 05:07 PM\']

[/quote]
 http://www.tvgameshows.net/richcronin.htm

Here it is... where does it state that RR is dead, though?

Brandon Brooks

PeterMarshallFan

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2003, 06:31:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 06:24 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 05:07 PM\']

[/quote]
http://www.tvgameshows.net/richcronin.htm

Here it is... where does it state that RR is dead, though?

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 OOPS....I meant Boden said that. Sorry.

SB had it under \"Game Show Grapevine\" and it said something to the effect of \"According to Bob Boden, it is very unlikely that RR and FOF will produce new episodes.\"

brianhenke

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2003, 07:14:31 PM »
Play for a Billion is going ahead...a few days ago, 937 of the 1000 contestants have been notified - but there is no information of their full identities.  They have also selected the monkey that will determine if the winner wins the billion (Jump the Shark material, anyone?)

I see from the list that Pepsi has on their website that five contestants are from Cincinnati, and one's from Norwood.

Brian

Indianapolis is the capital of Michigan?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Matt Ottinger

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2003, 08:57:03 PM »
G4 previously had these shows but dropped them because they were unpopular.
Wow, you have access to G4's ratings book and demographic research?  That's pretty impressive.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2003, 09:02:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 08:57 PM\']
Wow, you have access to G4's ratings book and demographic research?  That's pretty impressive. [/quote]
 Well, they wouldn't get rid of them if they were popular, would they?

cyberjoek

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2003, 09:06:19 PM »
Folks from G4 Corp. have said as much about the non-popularity of the gamer.tv block on their message boards, also due to the fact that it overlapped programing they already had.
-Joe Kavanagh

Matt Ottinger

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2003, 09:18:16 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 09:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 08:57 PM\']
Wow, you have access to G4's ratings book and demographic research?  That's pretty impressive. [/quote]
Well, they wouldn't get rid of them if they were popular, would they? [/quote]
 I just find it interesting that when a show you don't like gets taken off the air it's because the show is \"unpopular\" but when GSN drops a classic show that you DO like they're making a horrible mistake.

There are any number of reasons why a show leaves a network, and any number of people here could give you a dozen having nothing to do with ratings, which in G4's case would be miniscule even if they had Britney Spears playing Frogger nude.  If you're going to take it upon yourself to report factual news, leave your personal opinion and conjecture out of it or at least label it as such.  Have we learned nothing from Professor Steve?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2003, 09:28:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 09:18 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 09:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 08:57 PM\']
Well, they wouldn't get rid of them if they were popular, would they? [/quote]
I just find it interesting that when a show you don't like gets taken off the air it's because the show is \"unpopular\" but when GSN drops a classic show that you DO like they're making a horrible mistake.

[/quote]
I don't even get G4, so I haven't even seen either show. And like Joe said, the schedule there is already overloaded with shows of the same type [how many talk shows on the same subject can you possibly have?], which is different than GSN's situation at present. If Starcade was knocked off G4 for poor ratings, I'd be bothered because that's the only show of its type they air. And I dislike the Newlywed Game, but if it was bumped for another original that could be good or bad [based on recent happenings, bad] I wouldn't be too happy.

Have we learned nothing from Professor Steve?

No. I want Zinkin to write a song about me too. Remember \"The Steve Beverly Hillbillies?\" :-D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2003, 09:28:56 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

Robert Hutchinson

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2003, 02:26:21 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 06:14 PM\']Play for a Billion is going ahead...a few days ago, 937 of the 1000 contestants have been notified - but there is no information of their full identities.  They have also selected the monkey that will determine if the winner wins the billion (Jump the Shark material, anyone?)[/quote]
A certain TV website linked to a picture of the monkey standing beside Drew Carey, with the accompanying text (paraphrased): \"The WB has chosen the monkey they'll be using in their big money game show. Poor Drew Carey . . . oh, and there's a chimpanzee, too.\"
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2003, 05:09:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 11:26 PM\'] "The WB has chosen the monkey they'll be using in their big money game show. Poor Drew Carey . . . oh, and there's a chimpanzee, too." [/quote]
 Having acquired some insight into the mind of Drew Carey by reading his book, \"Dirty Jokes And Beer\", I think we can all rest assured that \"poor Drew Carey\" wouldn't be within fifty miles of this thing if he wasn't going to be laughing all the way to the bank when it's over, whether or NOT someone wins the billion.

With the chizzeck he'll be cashing, there isn't a one of you who wouldn't play second banana to this chimp either, and you're deluding yourselves and us if you try to claim anything different.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

Any interesting GS news?
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2003, 04:13:14 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 1 2003, 04:09 AM\']With the chizzeck he'll be cashing, there isn't a one of you who wouldn't play second banana to this chimp either, and you're deluding yourselves and us if you try to claim anything different.[/quote]
To steal blatantly from Mr. Ottinger: Wow, you have access to Drew Carey's paycheck AND an exhaustive list of the scruples of every last one of us? That's pretty impressive.

Look, I like Drew Carey. He's a funny man, and I wish him only the best swimming in his money. But at that particular moment in the show, when he realizes that he's only the second-most important thing on The WB, and what the most important thing is? Yes, I would send a \"poor Drew Carey\" his way for that. Jesus could be the announcer, and The WB could lose its signal nationwide for the entire hour, and I'd still send it.

(Oh, and adding a detailed footnote about someone's financial status and personal happiness to a throw-off joke that conflates the identities of Drew Carey and a chimp? Doesn't help the laughs much.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin