Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's Academic  (Read 2972 times)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
It's Academic
« on: April 13, 2006, 11:58:42 AM »
I have two questions for the knowledgeable historians:

How long did the New York version of It's Academic run, and did Art James emcee this version for the whole run?

I tried to do a search on it, but no avail, just lots of info on the Mac McGarry version.
Info is needed for a page I'm adding on the series, and all info provided will be fully credited to whomever can provide me with this missing info.

Jimmy Owen

It's Academic
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 12:41:31 PM »
As most of you know, I collect old TV Guides from  NYC (but I don't have all of them--yet) and the first occurance of "It's Academic" I have is 11/14/64 and the last is 7/10/71.  The New York Times had a pretty good Sunday TV page back then, so a check of the library's microfilm collection would pinpoint the actual dates.  Look for Saturday at 6 or 7pm.  The program was frequently pre-empted for sports and public affairs shows.  All of the TVGs I have list Art James as host from 64 till the end, but another poster to this board remembers Lee Leonard as spelling James around 66 or 67 (though not during the run of ABC's "Temptation."  Art is listed as host of IA while also on "Temptation.")
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 12:49:58 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

It's Academic
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 01:07:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'116076\' date=\'Apr 13 2006, 11:58 AM\']
I have two questions for the knowledgeable historians:

How long did the New York version of It's Academic run, and did Art James emcee this version for the whole run?

I tried to do a search on it, but no avail, just lots of info on the Mac McGarry version.
Info is needed for a page I'm adding on the series, and all info provided will be fully credited to whomever can provide me with this missing info.
[/quote]

Not that I've done an exhaustive search, but a search shows me:
11-Jan-1969 -- first listing for It's Academic on WNBC [6 PM on Saturday]
25-Jan-1969 -- "Robert Taylor stars as a migrating farmer who leaves a wagon train to return to the Nebraska Prairie in 'The Lone Grave'." I think that was supposed to be for Death Valley Days on 9.
18-Apr-1970 -- first listing of Art James as the host (previous listings don't list a host)
18-Dec-1971 -- last listing of Art James as the host (subsequent listings fon't list a host)
24-Jun-1972 -- last listing for It's Academic on WNBC [now 1 PM on Saturday]

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Jimmy Owen

It's Academic
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 01:22:26 PM »
Mike, thanks for pointing out the time change, I was unaware that the show moved to 1pm.  I have a listing for 7/1/72 at 1pm, which is the last one I can find.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
It's Academic
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 01:39:03 PM »
Thanks for all the info so far.

The slate on an episode I have gives me the info that episode #4 aired 9/21/63..which logically means it would have premiered on 8/31/63. However, I just need to know if James did it for the whole run and when this version ended..

--Jamie
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 01:39:39 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »