Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My Sale  (Read 8814 times)

FOXSportsFan

My Sale
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 11:31:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'114376\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 11:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'114372\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 07:55 PM\']
Example: Alright, day 5...you've amassed main game cash and prizes totalling $12,500.  You also have been fairly good to get this far and have amassed $475 Sale dollars in the main game.  And, because it's day 5, you get this lovely (insert mid-high level car or SUV here) worth $33,000.  Let's do the math...you can leave with not just $45,500 in game cash and prizes, but an additional 25 times your $525 Sale dollars, or $13,125.  You could leave us right here and now with $58,625 in cash, car, and prizes...or you could risk it for the lot of prizes and a whole lot more money.
[/quote]
And has anyone on Yahoo Messenger actually been cowed and quit because of that? Because I gotta tell you, as someone who used to play on Palace and won the whole thing, a GIF of a car didn't exactly dissuade me from continuing.
[/quote]

Well, of course it's understood people play for nothing, I mean that's what the whole internet game thing is about...I'm saying it might add a little extra temptation if it was added to a revival of Sale in real life.

Kevin Prather

My Sale
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 11:54:21 PM »
In my opinion, that's an awful lot to remember. When it comes to add-ons and bonuses, sometimes less is more.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
My Sale
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 12:15:51 AM »
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'114314\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 02:24 PM\']
I know I've already posted something like this on Loogaroo's board[/quote] Because you tripped over yourself to give away truckloads of money, without thinking about how the game is improved. Make the game better first. You have still not gotten that right.

but this is strongly on my personal wish list of Game Show revivals
Why? Do you run a major network? Even a minor network? A public access station out of Aurora, Illinois? I'd love to see Blockbusters come back, but it's not gonna happen just because I post a revival of it.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
My Sale
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 12:20:01 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'114377\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 08:31 PM\']
Well, of course it's understood people play for nothing, I mean that's what the whole internet game thing is about...I'm saying it might add a little extra temptation if it was added to a revival of Sale in real life.
[/quote]
And _my_ point is that outside of the trivia contest, playing Sale online makes about as much sense as playing DoND for funsies. And that anyone who plays online for fun who buys an IB or quits before they are either defeated or retired is an abject idiot. At which point, I ask: why not just play a straight trivia contest?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

My Sale
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 12:25:12 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'114387\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 09:20 PM\']
And _my_ point is that outside of the trivia contest, playing Sale online makes about as much sense as playing DoND for funsies. And that anyone who plays online for fun who buys an IB or quits before they are either defeated or retired is an abject idiot. At which point, I ask: why not just play a straight trivia contest?
[/quote]
That really is beside the point, Chris. Whether or not it's playable for funsies does not determine whether or not it'd work as a real game show.

clemon79

My Sale
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 12:32:41 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'114389\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 09:25 PM\']
That really is beside the point, Chris. Whether or not it's playable for funsies does not determine whether or not it'd work as a real game show.
[/quote]
Except I never made that point. I simply asked Jim whether anyone in his little Yahoo Messenger game was moron enough to bite on an IB or elect to win that GIF of a bedroom set in lieu of playing on.

I suspect I already know the answer, of course.

cacLA8383

My Sale
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 12:51:57 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'114391\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 11:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'114389\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 09:25 PM\']
[/quote]
Except I never made that point. I simply asked Jim whether anyone in his little Yahoo Messenger game was moron enough to bite on an IB or elect to win that GIF of a bedroom set in lieu of playing on.

[/quote]

That's why it's called Internet gaming. Just because you had a crappy time at one point partaking in such games, doesn't mean you should slam others who do just for the sake of your sorry ass getting a one up on someone.

Three words for you, sir: GET LAID ALREADY!

clemon79

My Sale
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 12:59:28 AM »
[quote name=\'cacLA8383\' post=\'114395\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 09:51 PM\']
[/quote]

That's why it's called Internet gaming. Just because you had a crappy time at one point partaking in such games, doesn't mean you should slam others who do just for the sake of your sorry ass getting a one up on someone.
[/quote]
....aaaaaand there's my answer. :)

And I'll point out that I had a GREAT time whippin' ass on y'all, despite the fact that some people got rather pissy that I declined the opportunity to put myself at a competitive disadvantage in return for a JPG of a recliner. :)

Kevin Prather

My Sale
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 01:03:37 AM »
Carl, you really need to chill out.

Chris, the reason people play the game in the first place is to experience playing the game. Whether or not the players actually get prizes is immaterial. The whole point is to have a good time. Just because someone plays the game in the spirit intended even though there is nothing at stake does not make them an idiot. You should chill out as well.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
My Sale
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 01:06:29 AM »
If my buying an Instant Bargain puts me at $1 behind the leader, and I lose by a question, I don't think that's very smart. If I were to actually receive an upright arcade game or a new refrigerator, then I might be happy with how things turned out. If I merely get "score money" to put me on a leaderboard...not so much.

To drag this back on topic, what would be wrong with a static jackpot worth roughly the same amount as the prizes? If it's daytime, $100,000. Nighttime, $250,000. That would be a very suspenseful game... $500,000 or nothing.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

My Sale
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 01:11:40 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'114397\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 10:03 PM\']
The whole point is to have a good time.
[/quote]
Which, I repeat, I had. :)
Just because someone plays the game in the spirit intended even though there is nothing at stake does not make them an idiot.
Well, we disagree there. :)

cacLA8383

My Sale
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 01:15:56 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'114396\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 11:59 PM\']
[quote name=\'cacLA8383\' post=\'114395\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 09:51 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]
....aaaaaand there's my answer. :)

And I'll point out that I had a GREAT time whippin' ass on y'all, despite the fact that some people got rather pissy that I declined the opportunity to put myself at a competitive disadvantage in return for a JPG of a recliner. :)
[/quote]

Well, I wasn't referring to the place you used to play games at, genius. Why don't you look on the last page and see the part where you slammed our YIM version of Sale.

[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'114397\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 12:03 AM\']
Carl, you really need to chill out.

[/quote]

Speaking of chilling out...... stop being parrot-like.

clemon79

My Sale
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 01:28:42 AM »
[quote name=\'cacLA8383\' post=\'114402\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 10:15 PM\']
Well, I wasn't referring to the place you used to play games at, genius. Why don't you look on the last page and see the part where you slammed our YIM version of Sale.
[/quote]
You're right. Let me correct that:

"...where I can put myself at a competitive disadvantage in return for the opportunity to read some text DESCRIBING a recliner."

There, fixed. :)

cacLA8383

My Sale
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 01:38:54 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'114403\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 12:28 AM\']
[quote name=\'cacLA8383\' post=\'114402\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 10:15 PM\']
[/quote]
You're right. Let me correct that:

"...where I can put myself at a competitive disadvantage in return for the opportunity to read some text DESCRIBING a recliner."

There, fixed. :)
[/quote]

Wow.

(I'm done now, I'll just go back to where I came from in this hole I call reality.)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
My Sale
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2006, 03:03:36 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'114385\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 12:15 AM\']
Because you tripped over yourself to give away truckloads of money, without thinking about how the game is improved. Make the game better first. You have still not gotten that right.
[/quote]

- Argument here is that, in theory, the idea might work. However, as what seems to be the consensus on the board is saying...a little too far-fetched. You have to improve or bring about the gameplay first, then think about tweaking the payoffs to extreme levels.

- If I can say that if NIU had a gong show that gave away $10 instead of $512.76, then you'd think I'm either a cheapskate or an idiot. If I raised the stakes to $512,000,000.76, you'd think I'd be on crack. But the point of the matter is, if you would think of raising the stakes in order to bring in whatever, it may work, but if you're sacrificing the main points of what the game is truely about (in this case, a format that's worked obviously well for years), then its not worth tweaking. If you focus more on the payouts instead of the concept, your production company tanks.

(perhaps a simple K.I.S.S. works here, and no, I'm not talking about a smooch either)

- Jackpot-issue: I've not had the energy to even think about that, so I'll just throw in a arbitrary number: eleventy-billion dollars and a saturn sedan (why the hell not? replaces my P.O.S.)

- And if it was up to me, when it comes to instant bargains and such, if i'm playing off the winner's board, it'd make a lot of sense for me to hit the buzzer as opposed to if I'm forced with a threshold of $530/$640/$750. I don't want to force myself to stay an extra two shows just because I'm going to walk away with another $10K of prizes on top of the junk I'll already collect.

(and the one time I played on the palace $ale, never did I buy a bargain [but then again, I was trailing up until the 3rd fame game anyway...thank god for $25 money cards]...and as I recall, I lost by a single question with a score of $80 or 90)

Nyquil's flaring up, nitpick at will.
-Dave