Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My Sale  (Read 8816 times)

BMaurice06

My Sale
« on: March 27, 2006, 05:24:19 PM »
I just thought all of the people on this board might want to take a look at what I think is the ultimate dream version of an international classic:

The New Sale of the Century

Host: Todd Newton
Hostess: Brooke Burke
Announcer: Burton Richardson

Basically similar to the Classic Sale Format.

Opening Spiel:
"From Hollywood, it's the world's richest quiz!  And today we're offering (list prize here) worth (MSRP) for only (Sale price), (name of car here) for $540, and over $100,000 worth of prizes for only $650!  All of that and a cash jackpot of (amount of day's jackpot) can be won only on... THE NEW SALE OF THE CENTURY!"

Front Game:
Three players start with $20 each; questions are worth +/-$5 each throughout the show.  Instant Bargains, Instant Cash, and Fame Game segments remain intact as before, ending with a 60-second speed round.

Shopping Segment:
Similar to the original, albeit a few changes:

The winning score of a first-day champion determines the first prize offered; afterward, if the champ decides to play on, his/her total account also determines the next prize offered, etc.  $540 buys the car offered that week, and $650 buys all of the prizes previously offered to the contestant during the time he/she was on the show.  However, when a champion reaches the latter level, he/she can either take the prizes and leave or come back one more time to add the cash jackpot to his/her winnings.  The jackpot now starts at $100,000 and increases by $5,000 a night until someone decides to go "all the way."  If the jackpot is not won then, it continues to increase.

I know I've already posted something like this on Loogaroo's board, but this is strongly on my personal wish list of Game Show revivals and I would appreciate everyone's opinion.  I tried to keep it simple without confusing the reader too much; it it doesnt work, my apologies.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
My Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 05:58:28 PM »
I don't want to flame you too much, as your writing seems to show you had some thought and care into what you just did. But, point blank your "revival" can be summed up as:

Todd Newton hosts, Brooke Burke is the hostess, Burton announces, the cash jackpot starts at 100k and goes up 5k/day instead of the old system, and hey, here's my new opening spiel.

That said, it's not a bad template for a new version, but the jackpot is wayyyy too high. If we apply your dimensions to what the record jackpot was in the 80s (109k) that means the winner would have taken home $395,000 in your format. Yeeowtch.

I can sympathize with having a concept for a revival in your head and being excited about it. But even with my inner excitement, I know posting the rundown of everything I'd keep in place and what little I would change makes for little-to-no discussion. All you'll get is flames.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Don Howard

My Sale
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 07:44:25 PM »
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'114314\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 05:24 PM\']
[/quote]
I'm in the tent already. And I wouldn't mind being in it with that fine divorcee. Someone break the news to Pat, would you?
Just get this darned show back on the air. This is one I don't believe GSN: TNFG would be able to afford, but man, I wish some syndicator with some bucks and some guts could come along and back this baby.
Please, though, don't let it resemble the trash that Robin Leach tried to hoist upon us last decade.

tvwxman

My Sale
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 07:51:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'114326\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 07:44 PM\']
[/quote]
I'm in the tent already. And I wouldn't mind being in it with that fine divorcee. Someone break the news to Pat, would you?
Just get this darned show back on the air. This is one I don't believe GSN: TNFG would be able to afford, but man, I wish some syndicator with some bucks and some guts could come along and back this baby.
Please, though, don't let it resemble the trash that Robin Leach tried to hoist upon us last decade.
[/quote]

Can someone elaborate on what made that dreck, dreck-y? I've never heard stories on format, etc.....

Do share, storytellers!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Steve McClellan

My Sale
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 07:56:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 04:44 PM\'][quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'114314\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 05:24 PM\']Hostess: Brooke Burke
[/quote]
I'm in the tent already.[/quote]
Please tell me that was intentional. Please?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 07:56:38 PM by Steve McClellan »

BrandonFG

My Sale
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 08:02:39 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'114328\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 07:51 PM\']
Can someone elaborate on what made that dreck, dreck-y? I've never heard stories on format, etc.....

Do share, storytellers!
[/quote]
Don't know the full story, but do remember reading that they planned to eliminate Instant Bargains. Granted this was almost 10 years ago, so my memory is a bit hazy (damn alcohol). That right there kinda defeats the purpose of calling your show "Sale of the Century".
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
My Sale
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 08:30:27 PM »
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'114314\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 02:24 PM\']
I know I've already posted something like this on Loogaroo's board, but this is strongly on my personal wish list of Game Show revivals and I would appreciate everyone's opinion.  I tried to keep it simple without confusing the reader too much; it it doesnt work, my apologies.
[/quote]
This was an awful lot of typing to suggest a minimally-changed shopping format, a host who has yet to prove to be a good fast reader, a co-hostess who is way above the gig, and one of the most horrifying announcers in the business.

The rest is fine, but the rest....isn't new. I'm reminded of someone's review of Jim Cramer's stock picks. "He picked Google. My DOG could have picked Google."

In other words, you got trashed on Tim's board for this for a reason, and I suspect you will meet a similar fate here.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FeudDude

My Sale
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 08:58:14 PM »
Announcer: Burton Richardson

Opening Spiel:
"From Hollywood, it's the world's richest quiz!  And today we're offering (list prize here) worth (MSRP) for only (Sale price), (name of car here) for $540, and over $100,000 worth of prizes for only $650!  All of that and a cash jackpot of (amount of day's jackpot) can be won only on... THE NEW SALE OF THE CENTURY!"
[/quote]

You forgot to add, "And heeeeere's the STAAARRRRR of our show, (insert lame one-liners here), TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD NEW-TUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!" ;-)

Seriously though, I get the feeling that Newton would be good for a show like $ale.  I get Jim Perry vibes from him when I watch him host Whammy.  And really, what "proof" did we have that Jim Perry would be able to pull off the speed round so well?

clemon79

My Sale
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 09:07:11 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' post=\'114344\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 05:58 PM\']
Seriously though, I get the feeling that Newton would be good for a show like $ale.  I get Jim Perry vibes from him when I watch him host Whammy. [/quote]
You do? I don't.
And really, what "proof" did we have that Jim Perry would be able to pull off the speed round so well?
We didn't. We have, however, seen Todd Newton read those types of questions. He would absolutely trip over himself.

jmangin

My Sale
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 09:11:54 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'114318\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 05:58 PM\']
That said, it's not a bad template for a new version, but the jackpot is wayyyy too high. If we apply your dimensions to what the record jackpot was in the 80s (109k) that means the winner would have taken home $395,000 in your format. Yeeowtch.
[/quote]

Don't forget, $109,000 in 1984 dollars would be about $208,500 today.  

On the other hand, $395,000 in 2006 dollars would be roughly $206,750 in 1984.

http://www.aier.org/cgi-aier/colcalculator.cgi

Jackpotman800

My Sale
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
I definetly have no complaints of Todd hosting the show & I somewhat think Brooke would be a good hostess, but I have another choice. What would you think of Chris Harrison & Rebecca Mary?

If you would like you could have the value of the questions be doubled every 20 seconds in the speedround, that is if you want to or not?

And Please tone down the cash jackpot for crying out loud. $100,000 + $5,000 for every night not won? I don't think so. Keep it at the initial $50,000, and add $5,000 for every week it's not won. Because to me adding more for each night kind of lame. But that's just me.

Nice revival idea nonetheless.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
My Sale
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 09:12:36 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' post=\'114344\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 07:58 PM\']
Seriously though, I get the feeling that Newton would be good for a show like $ale.  I get Jim Perry vibes from him when I watch him host Whammy.  
[/quote]
Yeah, I can just hear him now calling the "Fame Game" board.....STOP at a VACCUUM that's gonna make you suck!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 02:38:13 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

FOXSportsFan

My Sale
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 10:55:50 PM »
Well, on little old Yahoo Messenger, I and a few fellow game show geeks have a slightly altered version of Sale of the Century.  Allow me to spell out the changes...as few as they may be, for your opinions.

Extended Speed Round - This is largely because people have to type answers and not use voice for answers due to tech issues...but the speed round is billed as, fittingly, The Century Round with 100 seconds on the clock.

The End Game is vaguely like shopping but goes differently.  Hopefully you can follow this, as I tend to overexplain.

While the main game is played for money, the money has a different effect.  

No matter what game total the winner has, he or she in essence plays for a designated endgame prize.  Day 1 - The first prize in a lot, Day 2 a more expensive prize in the lot, etc.  Day 5 - They get the car, if they so choose to leave, Day 6- The Lot, Day 7 - The escalating cash Jackpot (we go with $50,000 + $2,000 for every day it's not won) and the lot.  

Where does the money come in, then?  Ahhh, it becomes an extra temptation angle.  Each day also is worth money.  A certain multiplier for each day.  It's your total main game score times the following multipliers in the following circumstances:
Day 1 - 5
Day 2 - 10
Day 3 - 15
Day 4 - 20
Day 5 - 25
Day 6 - 50
Day 7 - 100

A person could be tempted when they've amassed a high enough cumulative game total and a 20 or 25X multiplier to go with the cash, and the designated prize.  It adds temptation.

Example: Alright, day 5...you've amassed main game cash and prizes totalling $12,500.  You also have been fairly good to get this far and have amassed $475 Sale dollars in the main game.  And, because it's day 5, you get this lovely (insert mid-high level car or SUV here) worth $33,000.  Let's do the math...you can leave with not just $45,500 in game cash and prizes, but an additional 25 times your $525 Sale dollars, or $13,125.  You could leave us right here and now with $58,625 in cash, car, and prizes...or you could risk it for the lot of prizes and a whole lot more money.

EDIT: In the end, for it to have its best effect, the multipliers might be tweaked to say 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 100, 200 or something to that effect, but it could also be created by making the main game +10/-10 in lieu of +5/-5.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 10:59:11 PM by FOXSportsFan »

TheInquisitiveOne

My Sale
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 11:02:00 PM »
Well, now that the cat was let out of the bag with this, allow me to chime in.

I think the revival version of $ale should be a mix of our 80s version and the Aussie version in the later years. The only changes I think are necessary are the following:

The Third Instant Bargain: There are three boxes, like the later years of our $ale. One box would be the Instant Ca$h jackpot ($1,000 +$1,000 for each day not hit), another box would contain a $15 money card, and the final box would contain the chance to win a car at the Winner's Board (the reason why to be explained later). The cost of the bargain would be the leader's margin over the second place player.

The Winner's Board: This is the bonus round I would revive, but with many changes. One, the car would be on the board on these three conditions:

(1) The winning contestant won with a score of $100 or more.
(2) The contestant who chose the chance in Instant bargain 3 is the winner, regardless of score.
(3) The champion wins game 6, thereby winning the car by default if the car has not been won already.

Second, there are only 6 prizes on the board (as opposed to the 10 in our version). Also, the contestant risks the prize(s) won in the previous day(s) to continue. In game 7, the contestant risks all the prizes to add $50,000 (+$2,000 for each day not hit). After win 6, however, the contestant is offered $10,000 to retire. That cash offering is forfeited if the contestant decides to move on.

The set As large as the NBC set, but as snazzy as the Aussie set.

The rest, I'd leave in the producers hands.

That is all.

The Inquisitive One
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 11:05:35 PM by TheInquisitiveOne »
This is the Way.

clemon79

My Sale
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 11:22:05 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'114372\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 07:55 PM\']
Example: Alright, day 5...you've amassed main game cash and prizes totalling $12,500.  You also have been fairly good to get this far and have amassed $475 Sale dollars in the main game.  And, because it's day 5, you get this lovely (insert mid-high level car or SUV here) worth $33,000.  Let's do the math...you can leave with not just $45,500 in game cash and prizes, but an additional 25 times your $525 Sale dollars, or $13,125.  You could leave us right here and now with $58,625 in cash, car, and prizes...or you could risk it for the lot of prizes and a whole lot more money.
[/quote]
And has anyone on Yahoo Messenger actually been cowed and quit because of that? Because I gotta tell you, as someone who used to play on Palace and won the whole thing, a GIF of a car didn't exactly dissuade me from continuing.