Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question  (Read 6436 times)

tommycharles

Question
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2003, 01:57:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 07:50 AM\'] I hope GSN won't bid for "Fear Factor".  Although that's actually one of the few "reality" shows I like, I still don't really consider it a game show, and I don't think it belongs on GSN.  But that didn't stop them from adding "Love Connection"... [/quote]
 I don't want to tug at this thread again, but I see no real reason that this is any less of a game show than Beat the Clock.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Question
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2003, 03:28:52 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 10:57 AM\'] I don't want to tug at this thread again, but I see no real reason that this is any less of a game show than Beat the Clock. [/quote]
 It's certainly the best qualified of the crop out there, for sure.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Question
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2003, 04:42:14 PM »
I got no problem beating this \"is it or isn't it\" horse to death.

And I agree with Tommy.  Fear Factor is a lot closer to \"Beat The Clock\" or \"Truth or Consequences\" than it is Survivor.  Dog Eat Dog too, while we're at it.  NBC likes calling those shows \"reality shows\" because it just sounds cooler than \"game shows\".

Good rule of thumb (and one of the ways I decide what is or is not in The Compendium) is whether the show features an ongoing cast of characters being whittled away, as opposed to being self contained or having a defending champion.  Yes, that does put The Amazing Race on the \"reality\" side of the debate.  I'm OK with that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tommycharles

Question
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2003, 08:43:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 03:42 PM\'] I got no problem beating this "is it or isn't it" horse to death.

And I agree with Tommy.  Fear Factor is a lot closer to "Beat The Clock" or "Truth or Consequences" than it is Survivor.  Dog Eat Dog too, while we're at it.  NBC likes calling those shows "reality shows" because it just sounds cooler than "game shows".

Good rule of thumb (and one of the ways I decide what is or is not in The Compendium) is whether the show features an ongoing cast of characters being whittled away, as opposed to being self contained or having a defending champion.  Yes, that does put The Amazing Race on the "reality" side of the debate.  I'm OK with that. [/quote]
 That's kind of a good rule, my personal judgement usually relies on whether the other contestants have a say (by voting) in who wins. Thus, Fear Factor, The Mole, and The Amazing Race all make the cut in my book, and while Survivor is entertaining, it isn't a game show.

Oh, and before someone starts up about them having games and giving away money and cars, The Regis Gets Interrupted Constantly By Someone I Hadn't Heard of Before They Were On His Show Hour does that too.

Yours,
T

Matt Ottinger

Question
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2003, 09:24:32 PM »
That's kind of a good rule, my personal judgement usually relies on whether the other contestants have a say (by voting) in who wins. Thus, Fear Factor, The Mole, and The Amazing Race all make the cut in my book, and while Survivor is entertaining, it isn't a game show.
Problem with rules is you ought to be able to apply them across the board.  With that rule, \"Weakest Link\" and \"Dirty Rotten Cheater\" (to name but two) aren't game shows.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Brandon Brooks

Question
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2003, 09:38:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 08:24 PM\'] Problem with rules is you ought to be able to apply them across the board.  With that rule, \"Weakest Link\" and \"Dirty Rotten Cheater\" (to name but two) aren't game shows. [/quote]
Wait a sec... that's not right.

Good rule of thumb (and one of the ways I decide what is or is not in The Compendium) is whether the show features an ongoing cast of characters being whittled away, as opposed to being self contained or having a defending champion.
So wouldn't that make TWL and Dirty Rotten Cheater true game shows since they are self contained?  If not, that makes Debt, TJW '90, Wintuition, and hell, even TPIR are not game shows.

Goes to show that there is no perfect rule.  And that I'm obsessively into semantics.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 09:38:54 PM by Brandon Brooks »