Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Day 17 Years Past  (Read 2224 times)

Don Howard

This Day 17 Years Past
« on: March 24, 2006, 02:11:09 AM »
At 10:00:30am following Cassandra Clayton and NBC News at This Hour, where the threat of an interruption for a statement from President Bush was mentioned, NBC ran the final episode of $ale of the Century. John Rambo was the champion. John won his second game, was on his way to try for $6000 in the WBMG and all of a sudden we hear John Williams' The Mission as the Peacock Network issues an NBC News Special Report, which ends at exactly 10:30:00am just in time for Classic Concentration. At 12noon, the full final episode of Super Password ran unscathed.
There is a happy ending. Thanks to Doug SRIV the 94th, I have a master copy of that last $ale to enjoy at my whimsy into perpetuity. Seventeen years. And neither of those shows has made a comeback in this country.
Those lucky Australians get to enjoy Temptation, however, so the Grundy legend lives on someplace.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 02:12:02 AM by Don Howard »

Jimmy Owen

This Day 17 Years Past
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 03:25:09 AM »
I still haven't seen the last segment.  Maybe if Jim hadn't hyped it so.  Even before the two weeks of "At Rona's," Jim was imploring the loyal viewers to come back later in the month to watch the last week of shows.  Whether the breaking news was worthy of interupting $ale is up for debate, for viewers on the east coast, there was no farewell.  Of course, if the Prez had cut into Rona instead, I wouldn't have cared, so I guess I'm being insensitive to the fans of Ms. Barrett.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
This Day 17 Years Past
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 04:11:27 AM »
What was the momentous statement from President Bush?

DrBear

This Day 17 Years Past
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 06:30:28 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 03:11 AM\']What was the momentous statement from President Bush?
[snapback]114011[/snapback]
[/quote]
Dan Quayle finally passed his sixth grade spelling test.

(seriously, it may have had to do with the Exxon Valdez, which ran aground that day)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

tvrandywest

This Day 17 Years Past
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 07:22:57 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 03:11 AM\']What was the momentous statement from President Bush?
[/quote]That he and Barbara had resigned themselves to the fact that their son was a dope.

[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 03:30 AM\'](seriously, it may have had to do with the Exxon Valdez, which ran aground that day)
[snapback]114014[/snapback]
[/quote]Thus the spike in the retail price of Ryan Seacrest's hair gel.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 07:23:14 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

mmb5

This Day 17 Years Past
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 12:12:01 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 06:30 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 03:11 AM\']What was the momentous statement from President Bush?
[/quote]
Dan Quayle finally passed his sixth grade spelling test.

(seriously, it may have had to do with the Exxon Valdez, which ran aground that day)
[snapback]114014[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, it was a statement on Nicaragua (source: Vanderbilt News Archive).  Strangely enough, on two of the three networks that night, the Exxon Valdez was not even the lead story (it was #1 on CBS, #5 on ABC and and #6 on NBC).  The story on Nightline that night was about the Joel Steinberg trial.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

DrBear

This Day 17 Years Past
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 02:18:32 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 11:12 AM\']Actually, it was a statement on Nicaragua (source: Vanderbilt News Archive).  Strangely enough, on two of the three networks that night, the Exxon Valdez was not even the lead story (it was #1 on CBS, #5 on ABC and and #6 on NBC).  The story on Nightline that night was about the Joel Steinberg trial.

[snapback]114038[/snapback]
[/quote]
Which shows the difference between journalism and history, I guess. The Wikipedia article on Joel Steinberg. And it shows fascination with "good murders" is nothing new; there's just more cable air time to spread the manure.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
This Day 17 Years Past
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 05:36:30 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 11:12 AM\']Actually, it was a statement on Nicaragua (source: Vanderbilt News Archive).  Strangely enough, on two of the three networks that night, the Exxon Valdez was not even the lead story (it was #1 on CBS, #5 on ABC and and #6 on NBC).  The story on Nightline that night was about the Joel Steinberg trial.
[snapback]114038[/snapback]
[/quote]
Even more amazing was that NBC was the only network that broke in for the statement.  CBS didn't interrupt FF and ABC was still in local mode (but the big O wasn't interrupted by ABC on her Chicago flagship).

And always glad to lend a hand to the illustrious Mr. Howard, but I must confess that my copy came from another Invisioner (whether he would want me to publicize who he is--and that narrows it down right there, it ain't Tammy--is up to him).  I'm grateful to that other Invisioner as well for letting my curiosity as to how it all wrapped up be satisfied.  Credit where credit's due, and all that.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tvwxman

This Day 17 Years Past
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 05:39:19 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 05:36 PM\']
Even more amazing was that NBC was the only network that broke in for the statement.  CBS didn't interrupt FF and ABC was still in local mode (but the big O wasn't interrupted by ABC on her Chicago flagship).
[snapback]114063[/snapback]
[/quote]

And, yet , it was done at a time where the networks were in a MAJOR 'break in for anything' mode.  Special Reports were starting to become a little more commonplace, esp with the Iraq war around the corner...since cable news wasn't a competition yet, news ops went a little crazy with the break ins (IMHO)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"