Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC Should Thank It's Lucky Stars...  (Read 10986 times)

StevensM

NBC Should Thank It's Lucky Stars...
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 06:12:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 06:30 PM\']Does the deal require them to actually produce and air shows, though? Can't they just write someone a check to retain the rights to do so? I can see it being worth their money just so that someone else doesn't put Millionaire up AGAINST them.
[snapback]113072[/snapback]
[/quote]

As far as I'm aware, if the show doesn't air by whatever the deadline is, the rights to the primetime show can be sold to another network.  ABC could elect to wait until the deadline, but they'd run the risk of another network gaining the rights and using the show to counter ABC programming.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 06:12:53 PM by StevensM »

Terry K

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 03:12:08 AM »
Let's do some more math here.

Assuming that Katie Couric goes to CBS, and Meredith Viera goes to NBC to replace her (Meredith's contract with ABC is up in September I believe), NBC can also kill 3 birds with one stone.

NBC/U can grab the syndicated AND network versions of Millionaire for themselves to distribute.  Hire Meredith for the Today show and give her Millionaire (as her current View deal requires) daytime.

Hire Regis to do the nighttime version (or even consequently have Meredith do it during sweeps), and problem solved.

NickS

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 02:52:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Mar 19 2006, 03:12 AM\']Let's do some more math here.

Assuming that Katie Couric goes to CBS, and Meredith Viera goes to NBC to replace her (Meredith's contract with ABC is up in September I believe), NBC can also kill 3 birds with one stone.

NBC/U can grab the syndicated AND network versions of Millionaire for themselves to distribute.  Hire Meredith for the Today show and give her Millionaire (as her current View deal requires) daytime.

Hire Regis to do the nighttime version (or even consequently have Meredith do it during sweeps), and problem solved.
[snapback]113448[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not so fast.  We're only talking about ABC, not Buena Vista Television.  I really don't see BVTV losing the syndicated or production rights any time soon.  Could BVTV/Celador still produce Millionaire and it be on another net?  Sure (see House, for instance; NBCU produces and Fox airs).

But with NBCU eventually coming out with Deal syndicated, I don't think NBC wants to worry about Millionaire, either.

davemackey

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 03:06:21 PM »
I think Buena Vista could give a flip where else Meredith Vieira works. She doesn't openly promote her other ventures while hosting "Millionaire". It has absolutely no bearing on whether Katie Couric goes to CBS. Nor will Buena Vista hand over its cash cow to another distributor just because its host is jumping networks.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 08:10:29 AM »
By the way, DoND really romped and stomped in its latest showing on Monday 3/20. The show hit new highs with 9.7/14 in households and 5.5 in 18-49. It easily dominated the hour, with the return of Fox's Prison Break doing little to stop its momentum. I wouldn't be surprised if the show breaks into double-digits in households pretty soon on Monday, which would be almost paradise for woeful NBC.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 08:14:27 AM »
Looks like it is a hit.  It's nice to see a game show that is set in a studio and hosted by a male get good numbers.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 09:13:27 AM »
*Plays "Loud as a Peacock" in the background*

Yeah, DoND is the possible saving grace for NBC.  But, the last time they the Peacock was this bad off...well...Fred Silverman had a hand in it.  

Ironically, the sports department might save it next year with the NFL and such (they may also get at least a share of baseball back).

Great idea...hire Ed Kalehoff to do a new image campaign for NBC based on WNBC's early 90s promo...changed from "I'm 4 New York" to "We're Number 4" (seeing as how they finish 4th to FOX of course)  I can hear it now.

"We're Number 4
(Number 4)
We're Number 4
Let's show the rest of the world how we suck

We're Number 4
(Number 4)
We're Number 4
[Oh (BLEEP)]

Lacking pride
(Lacking pride)
Lacking joy
(Lacking joy)
The world is not watchin'
Our shows make you say 'What the (BLEEP)?'
We're NUMBER 4!"
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 09:20:41 AM by FOXSportsFan »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 01:22:19 PM »
Uh. Yeah.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 01:35:17 PM »
I don't know which is worse....Edwardsstalker's hiakus, or this.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

GS Warehouse

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 01:47:23 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 09:13 AM\'][bad American Idol audition snipped]
[snapback]113787[/snapback]
[/quote]
GONG!

Off to the Unan1mous room with you!

ObGS: JD Roth executive produces Unan1mous.  The guy's come a long way since Fun House...I'm just not sure which way. :-)

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 01:57:24 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 01:47 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 09:13 AM\'][bad American Idol audition snipped]
[snapback]113787[/snapback]
[/quote]
GONG!

Off to the Unan1mous room with you!

ObGS: JD Roth executive produces Unan1mous.  The guy's come a long way since Fun House...I'm just not sure which way. :-)
[snapback]113806[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow, a trip to a room of a show I've never even heard of...that has to be bad.  Do I at least get a blindfold and ear plugs?

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 02:09:18 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 10:57 AM\']Do I at least get a blindfold and ear plugs?
[snapback]113807[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, you'll get a plug. It doesn't go in your ear, though.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2006, 02:12:57 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 02:09 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 10:57 AM\']Do I at least get a blindfold and ear plugs?
[snapback]113807[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, you'll get a plug. It doesn't go in your ear, though.
[snapback]113808[/snapback]
[/quote]

I follow...I'm scared...I want to head back to the original point of the topic...

It's been talked about in other posts/threads about how NBC is using DoND much how ABC used "Millionaire".  Having seen how the show has gone through it's infant airing, if you will, do any of you see long term success with this show...as in this show could still be around 2 years from now?

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2006, 02:20:41 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 11:12 AM\']It's been talked about in other posts/threads about how NBC is using DoND much how ABC used "Millionaire".  Having seen how the show has gone through it's infant airing, if you will, do any of you see long term success with this show...as in this show could still be around 2 years from now?
[snapback]113809[/snapback]
[/quote]
If they keep running it into the ground like this? No. Two times a week was borderline. Three times a week is ludicrous, and people will simply get tired of watching it, it won't be special anymore.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2006, 04:14:12 PM »
Three times a week is ludicrous, and people will simply get tired of watching it, it won't be special anymore.

I've thought the same thing.  At this rate, I wonder if it will even make it to the planned syndie version in 2007.  It's great that each game is so different from the others, and I think it has something that just hooks you in, but because there's not much "game" there I think the average viewer will tire of it eventually.  

Personally, I'm kind of hooked right now so I'm glad I don't have to wait long between episodes, but I know it would be better for the show in the long run to hold off a bit.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!