Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC Should Thank It's Lucky Stars...  (Read 10982 times)

dad1153

NBC Should Thank It's Lucky Stars...
« on: March 15, 2006, 05:08:31 AM »
Check the Nielsen Top 20 ratings for the week of March 6th to the 12th.  How many NBC shows can you spot? http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/nielsen.htm.

I knew NBC was deep in the toilet but this is ridiculous!  Between this scarcity of top-rated hits and the debacle of 'Joey' returning to a paltry 4 million viewers (Tuesday's scheduled 'Joey' episodes were replaced by repeats of 'Outrageous TV Moments') I wouldn't be surprised if NBC buys the rights to 'Super Millionaire' when/if ABC chooses to let them expire in a couple of months.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 05:23:25 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 02:08 AM\']I wouldn't be surprised if NBC buys the rights to 'Super Millionaire' when/if ABC chooses to let them expire in a couple of months.
[snapback]112971[/snapback]
[/quote]
If you really think that the Mouse is gonna let that show out of their sights, you're not...

...oh, never mind.

/16 posts and I've come to my conclusion. Is that a record?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

itiparanoid13

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 06:44:29 AM »
I came to mine at 4.  I've seen the GSN boards.

dad1153

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 09:32:58 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 07:44 AM\']I came to mine at 4.  I've seen the GSN boards.
[snapback]112978[/snapback]
[/quote]

Why you little... I ought to... :(

itiparanoid13

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 10:34:42 AM »
Calm down, Daffy Duck.  Read some other posts and see what gets lots of respect and what doesn't.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 11:10:29 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 05:08 AM\'](snip)

I wouldn't be surprised if NBC buys the rights to 'Super Millionaire' when/if ABC chooses to let them expire in a couple of months.
[snapback]112971[/snapback]
[/quote]
Alright, children, let's calm down here.

Wouldn't giving up the rights to Super Millionaire likely require giving up the rights to Millionaire, period?  I'm no expert on this subject, so I'm throwing the question out there and hoping someone "in the know" can give me a useful answer.

FeudDude

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 12:22:15 PM »
According to this Buzzer entry, ABC has until May to renew Millionaire, or else they lose the rights.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 01:25:34 PM »
Quick thing before I go to classes.  Yeah, what I was told by a lot of higher-ups is that Millionaire had a 3 year renewal period ending on May 2006 to renew, or they basically lose the rights.  If someone knows better, please post.  And if they do lose the rights, hell, GSN would cancel everything they have for new episodes of Millionaire.  If they publicize it enough, the ratings would be ungodly for the network.  Reruns were getting a .9.  They aren't down terrible much from that now.

JayDLewis

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 06:13:59 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 01:25 PM\'] And if they do lose the rights, hell, GSN would cancel everything they have for new episodes of Millionaire.
[snapback]113026[/snapback]
[/quote]

Could GSN realistically afford those rights? It's one thing to buy the rights to an unproven show but Millionaire could be scandously high.

CBS paid $20 Million for the rights to Big Brother (an unknown quantity). Millionaire could be 2 or 3 times as much (speculation on my part) and paying big bucks for tAR didn't exactly pan out for them.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

StevensM

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 06:27:35 PM »
I thought that ABC had until May 2007 to air Millionaire (three years from when it last aired on ABC in May 2004), but I can't find any definitive references.  I could be wrong on that; any definitive information would be appreciated, since I can't find it.

I sure hope we see Super Millionaire back on ABC soon.  If not, I'm sure FOX would take it given the ratings of most of their programs, and NBC probably wouldn't refuse the opportunity given the success of "Deal or No Deal".

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 06:30:23 PM »
[quote name=\'StevensM\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 03:27 PM\']I thought that ABC had until May 2007 to air Millionaire (three years from when it last aired on ABC in May 2004), but I can't find any definitive references.  I could be wrong on that; any definitive information would be appreciated, since I can't find it.
[/quote]
Does the deal require them to actually produce and air shows, though? Can't they just write someone a check to retain the rights to do so? I can see it being worth their money just so that someone else doesn't put Millionaire up AGAINST them.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 06:42:27 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 03:30 PM\']Can't they just write someone a check to retain the rights to do so? I can see it being worth their money just so that someone else doesn't put Millionaire up AGAINST them.[/quote]
Okay, it's probably the fact that I'm not in the TV biz, but this makes no sense to me. If there's a show that you have the rights to, and it's good enough you don't want to be up against it, then why the heck are you not airing it? Yes, I know ABC has some hits right now, but surely their schedule isn't so jam-packed with them that they couldn't find room for a show they believe would be successful. What gives?

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 06:54:05 PM »
I'm not saying it makes any sense to me, either. But this is also the same network that airs "According To Jim" and looks like they're gonna just burn off "Commander In Chief", so I'd say that intelligent programming moves aren't their forte anyhow.

I don't think paying for it to shelve it would be terribly bright, either, but I've seen stranger things happen in the world of network TV - I worked at a Fox station when they debuted FoxTrax, remember. :)

Steve McClellan

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 07:52:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 03:54 PM\']but I've seen stranger things happen in the world of network TV - I worked at a Fox station when they debuted FoxTrax, remember. :)[/quote]
Hey, now. Don't knock FoxTrax! Reading about that in the paper was the *only* reason I watched my first hockey game, and now I'm hooked. So *some* good did come of it....

ObGameShow: Lingo also superimposes strange graphical stuff.

clemon79

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 08:01:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 04:52 PM\']Hey, now. Don't knock FoxTrax! Reading about that in the paper was the *only* reason I watched my first hockey game, and now I'm hooked. So *some* good did come of it....
ObGameShow: Lingo also superimposes strange graphical stuff.
[snapback]113078[/snapback]
[/quote]
I actually enjoyed it, too. But I have a tape of the first event they used it at, the 1996 All-Star Game in Boston, and MAN was that some rough stuff to watch. It did get better, though, over time.