Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC is "Millionairing" DoND...  (Read 8534 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
NBC is "Millionairing" DoND...
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2006, 02:19:25 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 12:02 PM\']If it's all as random as Howie says it is there should be no partiuclar "lucky" model.
[/quote]
That's not what she said last night.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2006, 02:58:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 11:17 AM\']I wonder if anyone has kept track of which model has had the most money in her cases over the course of the show?[/quote]

[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 02:03 PM\']And to Jimmy Owen, did you check Klauss's site?[/quote]

Jimmy hasn't gone to my site?!  Blasphemy!  How dare he!

http://www.classicgameshows.com/dealornodealstats.html

That's through Friday 3/10's show.  Due to a new addition in the family, it might take me until the weekend to add this week's shows to the mix.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2006, 03:05:35 PM »
Thanks for the link!  I'm glad I asked!  I would be torn between picking Claudia first or being able to look at her for the entire game.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2006, 04:17:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 01:18 PM\']I vote that for line of the year. I don't care that it's from 2004. It still beats anything witch contributes.
[snapback]113025[/snapback]
[/quote]
So does a test pattern.
Don Howard predicts! On or before the first sweeps program of Spring, we'll see a celebrity contestant.
Perhaps Lauren Tewes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 04:17:15 PM by Don Howard »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2006, 09:18:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 04:17 PM\']Don Howard predicts! On or before the first sweeps program of Spring, we'll see a celebrity contestant.
Perhaps Lauren Tewes.
[snapback]113061[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh my.

Brandon Brooks

NickS

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2006, 10:15:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 09:11 AM\']U don't like the models?
[snapback]112990[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you're watching the show just for the models, I think we could all pitch in for a subscription to Playboy and a year's worth of "Towel of the Month" club from Bed Bath and Beyond.

From a realistic point of view, Randy said in an earlier post how much expenses are written up for 26 models.  Think of what is spent on Barker's Beauties, and then multiply that by 6.5.

Do you think a syndicated version could hold on to such a budget?  I doubt it.  I'd rather see 20-26 contestants that stay on awhile, root each other on and hopefully win big money.  Besides, the UK version has had some cute women contestants as well, so I don't think there's a big loss there.

The other thing that endears me is that the contestant selection on UK's Deal is that it's so diverse.  Old/young/male/female/white/black/brown/purple/etc.  -- it's all there.  To me, it's daytime happy tv that's been missing from the landscape for awhile.

Now go back drooling about Claudia.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2006, 10:21:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 11:15 PM\']Now go back drooling about Claudia.[/quote]
Who said we ever stopped?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2006, 11:25:17 PM »
I might not have to worry.  The way they cast contestants these days, you practically have to look like a model to get on.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2006, 04:57:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 09:18 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 04:17 PM\']Don Howard predicts! On or before the first sweeps program of Spring, we'll see a celebrity contestant.
Perhaps Lauren Tewes.
[/quote]
Oh my.
[snapback]113081[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, I agree. It's an exciting prospect. She's probably out of reach. Perhaps a S.W.A.T. cast reunion (sans Robert Urich, of course). I shall beat Zach to the punch with the game show connection: Anitra Ford guest starred on an episode of S.W.A.T.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2006, 07:35:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 04:17 PM\']Don Howard predicts! On or before the first sweeps program of Spring, we'll see a celebrity contestant.
Perhaps Lauren Tewes.
[/quote]
We already got Donald Trump and that guy from WWE on there (no, I don't watch wrestling).  We've already gotten as close to a celebrity contestant as that show needs to get.

tvwxman

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2006, 07:56:17 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 07:35 PM\']We already got Donald Trump and that guy from WWE on there (no, I don't watch wrestling).  We've already gotten as close to a celebrity contestant as that show needs to get.
[snapback]113222[/snapback]
[/quote]

Silly, silly Dr.  Have you seen the rest of NBC's primetime ratings lately? Hint, look near the toilet. They'd have the Donald, the Martha, AND the cast of SNL as models if they thought they could cross-promote a show to bleed viewers from one show to the next.

I give it till May sweeps for the next celebrity blitz.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

DrJWJustice

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2006, 03:37:40 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 07:56 PM\'][quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 07:35 PM\']We already got Donald Trump and that guy from WWE on there (no, I don't watch wrestling).  We've already gotten as close to a celebrity contestant as that show needs to get.
[snapback]113222[/snapback]
[/quote]

Silly, silly Dr.  Have you seen the rest of NBC's primetime ratings lately? Hint, look near the toilet. They'd have the Donald, the Martha, AND the cast of SNL as models if they thought they could cross-promote a show to bleed viewers from one show to the next.

I give it till May sweeps for the next celebrity blitz.
[snapback]113226[/snapback]
[/quote]

And Trix are for kids.  Let me put it in your parlance ... I'd forecast ratings doom for DoND if it goes the celebrity blitz route as Millionaire and Weakest Link did -- and we all know what happened to those shows in the US market.  

I am well aware of where NBC's ratings currently are, and I noted - as you probably did - that DoND is about the only show NBC has in the Top 20 at the moment.  The jury's still out on how long it can sustain itself there, but DoND will be a stain on the toilet paper if it goes the celeb route.  You can call me "silly" all you like, but we have a pattern of behaviour here.  We watched Millionaire because it had a chance to change the lives ordinary Joes for the better.  DoND has the same appeal, and it uses the same brand of drama to do it that Regis used on his show.  We stopped watching when Millionaire became driven by celebrities, and we'll do the same if that happens to DoND.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 03:41:29 PM by DrJWJustice »

weaklink75

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2006, 09:15:44 AM »
I read in USA Today Wednesday (print edition, can't find a link) that the Monday April 3rd ep is going to be 2 hours....my guess is this is where they were planning to air the Apprentice mid-season recap episode but decided they aren't going to do one this time...

tvwxman

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2006, 10:32:53 AM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 09:15 AM\']I read in USA Today Wednesday (print edition, can't find a link) that the Monday April 3rd ep is going to be 2 hours....my guess is this is where they were planning to air the Apprentice mid-season recap episode but decided they aren't going to do one this time...
[snapback]113788[/snapback]
[/quote]

Holy smokes. They're gonna slaughter this golden goose before the fall season premieres....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2006, 04:57:55 PM »
Some potentially encouraging news:  Howie was a guest on Ellen DeGeneres' show today (look for a repeat on Oxygen in a week) and when she asked him if DonD would ever expand to five nights (that's NIGHTS) a week, he doubted it would, that two nights was plenty and these Wednesday shows are indeed "special" events that hopefully aren't slated to be permanent.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel