Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC is "Millionairing" DoND...  (Read 8539 times)

weaklink75

NBC is "Millionairing" DoND...
« on: March 10, 2006, 08:18:36 PM »
The Futon Critic says they're going to Mon/Wed/Fri show for a couple of weeks....

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 08:31:32 PM »
No, no, no!!!  Two nights a week is plenty.  NBC, remember what happened when ABC overdid it with WWTBAM.  You can't afford to jeopardize DonD's future.  

Let's hope this only lasts those two weeks.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

wheelloon

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:44:42 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 09:31 PM\']No, no, no!!!  Two nights a week is plenty.  NBC, remember what happened when ABC overdid it with WWTBAM.  You can't afford to jeopardize DonD's future. 
[snapback]112444[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh how, oh why does history keep repeating itself...

Why am I also seeing a potential celebrity week by the time summer rolls around???

Errrgghhh!!!!!!
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 09:55:13 PM »
No need to freak out about it....AFAIK, The Futon Critic is far from an official source.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 10:05:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 09:55 PM\']No need to freak out about it....AFAIK, The Futon Critic is far from an official source.
[snapback]112450[/snapback]
[/quote]
However, if you click on the link for each episode listed on The Futon Critic, you get... info quoted from NBC's own press releases.  If that's not an official source, I don't know what is.

Want to try for three today, Mark?

StevensM

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 10:13:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 09:55 PM\']No need to freak out about it....AFAIK, The Futon Critic is far from an official source.
[snapback]112450[/snapback]
[/quote]

Check the official site.  It's right there:
http://www.nbc.com/Deal_or_No_Deal/

I don't think the three-day format will last long, but we'll see.  I think this show might be better as twice a week in the weekly format though.

scottua1

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 10:17:44 PM »
For now, the 3-day-a-week thing is only for a couple weeks, but the M/F airings are currently slated to last thru at least the end of April.

dad1153

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 10:47:51 PM »
NBC is miliking 'DONO' dry, just as ABC did with 'Millionaire' did back in the 2000-2002 years.  And guess what?  Both networks do these types of things when they were/are in the dumper ratings-wise with few hits and an impatient parent company seeing their profits diminished by the low primetime ratings elsewhere on the schedule.  NBC is actually touting the strong ratings of its Friday night drama Conviction, a Dick Wolf show that got lower ratings than the Friday night show it replaced, Law & Order: Trial By Jury (pathetic!).  So even though I'm sad to see 'DOND' get 'Millionaired' I can understand why it's happening: NBC suits are desperate, and desperate people do desperate things like eat their young if it means improving the 18-49 demo by a tenth of a rating point or so.  As soon as NBC gets a big hit or two on the air NBC will bestow on 'DOND' the same treatment ABC is giving 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' right now: barely-promoting and taking for granted the one show that for a year or so kept the network present in the Top 20 now that it has hit shows to spare (Lost, Housewives, Dancing with the Stars, etc.).  It's the vicious circle of primetime gameshow life! :(
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 01:10:47 AM by dad1153 »

JayDLewis

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 11:38:15 PM »
OK..lemme get this straight.

DOND is doing 3 a week for a couple of weeks. We're speculating that 3 a week might become "permanent" (well, as permanent as anything is on network TV).

This, from the same crowd that would like to see a syndie version of the show. A syndie version would run how many days a week?

"Millionairing" WWTBaM didn't hurt the syndie/long term fortunes of the franchise. I don't think DoND will be affected too badly by triple-pumping it.

Have an ovaltine and chill out.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 04:11:13 AM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 09:38 PM\']DOND is doing 3 a week for a couple of weeks. We're speculating that 3 a week might become "permanent" (well, as permanent as anything is on network TV).[/quote] Well, yeah, anything for people to jump to conclusions and proclaim the sky is falling. Never mind using actual logical reasoning and all that.

This, from the same crowd that would like to see a syndie version of the show. A syndie version would run how many days a week?
What crowd is that? I certainly didn't sign that petition. For my money, the show only works in teeny doses, and twice a week for 23 weeks a year is about it.

"Millionairing" WWTBaM didn't hurt the syndie/long term fortunes of the franchise. I don't think DoND will be affected too badly by triple-pumping it.
[snapback]112462[/snapback]
No, but it certainly did take a long time before the syndicated version aired. And I think that's what the doomsayers are worried about. Cause there's no better game show on the air than "Deal or No Deal." <eyeroll>

You're right, Jay, they need to relax.
Travis L. Eberle

JayDLewis

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 11:14:17 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 11 2006, 04:11 AM\'][quote name=\'JayDLewis\']This, from the same crowd that would like to see a syndie version of the show. A syndie version would run how many days a week?[/quote] What crowd is that? I certainly didn't sign that petition. For my money, the show only works in teeny doses, and twice a week for 23 weeks a year is about it.
[/quote]

I used a gross generalization there...sorry 'bout that. Kinda like the royal "we."
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 02:04:26 AM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Mar 11 2006, 09:14 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 11 2006, 04:11 AM\'][quote name=\'JayDLewis\']This, from the same crowd that would like to see a syndie version of the show. A syndie version would run how many days a week?[/quote] What crowd is that? I certainly didn't sign that petition. For my money, the show only works in teeny doses, and twice a week for 23 weeks a year is about it.
[/quote]

I used a gross generalization there...sorry 'bout that. Kinda like the royal "we."
[snapback]112486[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, I know, and my reply was also for effect. My point is that I don't think a show like Deal or No Deal would work five days a week, at least in the current format. Then again, it works in a half-hour format in England and Australia.
Travis L. Eberle

WhammyPower

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 08:52:41 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 01:04 AM\']Yeah, I know, and my reply was also for effect. My point is that I don't think a show like Deal or No Deal would work five days a week, at least in the current format. Then again, it works in a half-hour format in England and Australia.
[snapback]112524[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's 45 minutes in the UK.

uncamark

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 03:19:16 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 01:04 AM\'][quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Mar 11 2006, 09:14 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 11 2006, 04:11 AM\'][quote name=\'JayDLewis\']This, from the same crowd that would like to see a syndie version of the show. A syndie version would run how many days a week?[/quote] What crowd is that? I certainly didn't sign that petition. For my money, the show only works in teeny doses, and twice a week for 23 weeks a year is about it.
[/quote]

[snapback]112486[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, I know, and my reply was also for effect. My point is that I don't think a show like Deal or No Deal would work five days a week, at least in the current format. Then again, it works in a half-hour format in England and Australia.
[snapback]112524[/snapback]
[/quote]

And six days a week in the UK--and they've just moved the Saturday airing into prime time, where it beat ITV last week in the ratings and breathed down BBC1's neck, something that Channel 4 shows are not supposed to do, them being the "minority channel" (as in minority of the audience, not race) and all.

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 08:21:41 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 11:38 PM\']OK..lemme get this straight.
DOND is doing 3 a week for a couple of weeks. We're speculating that 3 a week might become "permanent" (well, as permanent as anything is on network TV).
[snapback]112462[/snapback]
[/quote]

True...However the difference between a syndicated game show and a prime time network show is that at least on a syndicated version of a popular show, the odds are better that the show will run at least a full season and in the same timeslot -- even if the ratings start to flounder.