Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Valentines Out  (Read 8017 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Valentines Out
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 05:38:25 AM »
Why not just slap the title "Network Show Rejects" on them?

From reading descriptions of both games; playing Hit Man online, and having the home game for Top Secret, I can't say either of these series would be very compelling.

I know some find the show a bit tacky, but I think that Supermarket Sweep would be the best pickup they could make--the show has a following, and the name is more recognizable than a 13-week flop or a pilot that never was.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 05:38:38 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Ian Wallis

Valentines Out
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 09:05:40 AM »
I was honestly thinking either Hit Man or Top Secret, two shows that I think didnt't get a fair shot.

Hit Man would likely be a more expensive show than GSN would ever be willing to do.  If they did it the exact same way the original was done, it would cost a fair bit of money to license all the stuff that they'd have to use in the film clips.  Besides, I'd imagine this was a fairly complicated show to mount.  GSN's probably looking for something much simpler.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

dzinkin

Valentines Out
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 09:21:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 09:05 AM\']Hit Man would likely be a more expensive show than GSN would ever be willing to do.  If they did it the exact same way the original was done, it would cost a fair bit of money to license all the stuff that they'd have to use in the film clips.  Besides, I'd imagine this was a fairly complicated show to mount.  GSN's probably looking for something much simpler.
[snapback]112380[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think GSN's problems just prove that you can't trust guys named Ian. ;-)

Seriously, I can only imagine some of the mini-documentaries they might try to do on the cheap.  "The History of Extreme Gong," anyone?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 09:21:41 AM by dzinkin »

Jimmy Owen

Valentines Out
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 10:15:05 AM »
They could repurpose old "Anything to Win" shows for a new "Hit Man."  Peter: "Today we're gonna learn everything about (Johnnie Cochran, Tonya Harding, John DeLorean, etc.)"
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 10:17:02 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

dad1153

Valentines Out
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 12:09:09 PM »
Here's why Hit Man could not be made to work in today's gameshow climate.  I'm afraid today's pool of potential contestants (i.e. the good-looking one's that get through the casting sessions) couldn't possibly remember or draw from their own limited intelligence the facts needed to make the Q&A rounds in Hit Man click.  The producers would have to really dumb-down an already low-level memory game just to avoid the embarrassment of several contestants not answering a simple recollection of something they saw two minutes before.  Heck, even if you forced the contestants to watch all the Anything to Win documentaries during pre-production sessions before they see another videotaped piece about them on-air I seriously think few of them would make it.

Of course this problem could be solved if the contestant coordinators were allowed to choose the sharpest and/or most likable contestants beyond[/u] the 18-35 age limitation that GSN imposed on the last production cycle of Lingo.  This resulted in some pretty dumb contestants getting on the show just because they looked right, not because they knew how to play the game well.  Hit Man requires contestants that can quickly recollect just-seen info, and that's something not every 18-35 contestant can do.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Valentines Out
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 12:27:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 02:38 AM\']From reading descriptions of both games; playing Hit Man online,
[/quote]
Okay, so your basing your assessment of Hit Man based solely on reading a synopsis and playing a netgame, and not on actually, oh, I don't know, ever having seen it?

That's up there with Adam Kleist citing a "moment" that in fact never ended up even happening as one of the top moments for the year.

Yes, I'm comparing you to Adam Kleist.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 12:28:56 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

Valentines Out
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 04:32:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 04:38 AM\']Why not just slap the title "Network Show Rejects" on them?

From reading descriptions of both games; playing Hit Man online, and having the home game for Top Secret, I can't say either of these series would be very compelling.

I know some find the show a bit tacky, but I think that Supermarket Sweep would be the best pickup they could make--the show has a following, and the name is more recognizable than a 13-week flop or a pilot that never was.
[snapback]112369[/snapback]
[/quote]

And even though I'm no fan of the show, I agree with you--why someone at GSN hasn't made the phone call to Al Howard after Pax crashed and burned is beyond me.  It seems to be one of those no-brainers.

cacLA8383

Valentines Out
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2006, 12:57:13 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 12:27 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 02:38 AM\']From reading descriptions of both games; playing Hit Man online,
[/quote]
Okay, so your basing your assessment of Hit Man based solely on reading a synopsis and playing a netgame, and not on actually, oh, I don't know, ever having seen it?

That's up there with Adam Kleist citing a "moment" that in fact never ended up even happening as one of the top moments for the year.

Yes, I'm comparing you to Adam Kleist.
[snapback]112393[/snapback]
[/quote]

Talk about sour grapes......man.

[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 04:32 PM\']And even though I'm no fan of the show, I agree with you--why someone at GSN hasn't made the phone call to Al Howard after Pax crashed and burned is beyond me.  It seems to be one of those no-brainers.
[snapback]112420[/snapback]
[/quote]
All GSN cares about anymore, is ratings. I don't see why they don't go snag reruns for Supermarket Sweep anyway. It's not like they would ever go snag STYD or something.

(EDIT: I was half-asleep when I posted this last night. Wow.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 11:52:13 PM by cacLA8383 »

Clay Zambo

Valentines Out
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2006, 09:08:06 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 12:09 PM\']...Heck, even if you forced the contestants to watch all the Anything to Win documentaries during pre-production sessions ....
[snapback]112390[/snapback]
[/quote]

It's the All-New Cram!
czambo@mac.com

Robert Hutchinson

Valentines Out
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2006, 01:12:03 PM »
[quote name=\'cacLA8383\' date=\'Mar 11 2006, 12:57 AM\']Those no-brains at GSN all care about ratings, anymore.[/quote]

You have either made a typo, or you have a curious insight into what people who run a struggling, niche cable channel should care about.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

cacLA8383

Valentines Out
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2006, 11:53:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Mar 11 2006, 01:12 PM\'][quote name=\'cacLA8383\' date=\'Mar 11 2006, 12:57 AM\']Those no-brains at GSN all care about ratings, anymore.[/quote]

You have either made a typo, or you have a curious insight into what people who run a struggling, niche cable channel should care about.
[snapback]112491[/snapback]
[/quote]

Definitely a typo. Edited the post to sort of make more sense. That's what happens when you work all day and night, people. Your brain just doesn't work right anymore at the end of your day. :-P

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Valentines Out
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2006, 02:08:45 AM »
On Thursday, I housesat for my parents, and spent some quality time with GSN. In all, I saw Super Password, Card Sharks, Lingo, Match Game, Weakest Link and Family Feud, since I don't normally get a chance to watch GSN during the daytime.

I don't see why GSN can't keep doing what they're doing. Run the older library stuff during the daytime, and do new or marquee stuff in the evening. I'm not convinced that it's the end of the world for the network.
Travis L. Eberle

itiparanoid13

Valentines Out
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2006, 08:23:54 AM »
Here's a few million put to good use.  GSN's only having TAR on Saturdays now, with Tuesday/Wednesday being taken by the 10,000,000th rerun of Greed, Thursday/Friday having syndie Weakest Link, and Sunday the 10,000,001st rerun of Dog Eat Dog.  $6,000,000 for once a week.  There goes the budget for some shows that deserved it, like BallBreakers or RR or basically anything else.  I really think GSN needs to think about reviving one or more of TAR's replacements.  If they are still getting good ratings even though how much they are abused, I think that one of those should have been done instead of I've Got A Secret which will be a tossup in terms of success.

Robert Hutchinson

Valentines Out
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2006, 02:18:29 PM »
[quote name=\'cacLA8383\' date=\'Mar 11 2006, 11:53 PM\']Definitely a typo.[/quote]

Well, all right. But what I was actually wondering was what, besides ratings, should the folks at GSN be worried about?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

zachhoran

Valentines Out
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2006, 07:14:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 02:18 PM\'][quote name=\'cacLA8383\' date=\'Mar 11 2006, 11:53 PM\']Definitely a typo.[/quote]

Well, all right. But what I was actually wondering was what, besides ratings, should the folks at GSN be worried about?
[snapback]112547[/snapback]
[/quote]

Perhaps losing the GT library? When is that next up for renewal?