Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weakest Link Question  (Read 3998 times)

davemackey

Weakest Link Question
« on: August 27, 2003, 07:30:30 PM »
Saw an episode the other day on PAX where in the first round the max bank of $12,500 was attained by the contestants by answering the first six questions out of the box correctly and the bank was correctly done.

Who, then, serves as the strongest and weakest players in the round if everyone does what they're supposed to?

Kevin Prather

Weakest Link Question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 07:36:32 PM »
good question. i imagine speed would be the tiebreaker. that's a guess though.

Brig Bother

Weakest Link Question
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 08:04:55 PM »
Person who banked the cash would be the strongest. The person next to them would be the weakest because they answered the lowest highest plateau correctly. I think it's like that over here at any rate.

Correct me if I'm wrong Randy, but speed of response doesn't come into it does it? That'd be far too aggravating to work out.

To be honest I wouldn't get too excited about this in that situation. It's only the strongest link who will have the most important vote.

Matt Ottinger

Weakest Link Question
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 08:34:28 PM »
While we're waiting for the expert to chime in....

When Randy was kind enough to show me around last summer, I saw the room where the producers hang out and decide that very thing.  I couldn't possibly remember all the rules, but there was a large board on the wall that laid out all the permutations and possibilities.  It reminded me of those charts you see near the end of the NFL season that determine who makes the playoffs, and it was at least that thorough.  And no, response time was not one of the considerations.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

Weakest Link Question
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 09:26:06 PM »
Now I know why my ears burning all day. And how nice that the burning in my other body parts has stopped!

You are correct that speed is not one of the many factors that come into play in determining strongest and weakest. The format is very well thought out in this area, and there is an extensive protocol for determing who has what standing. I don't remember a \"tie\" in standing in any round from any of the 398 episodes.

I'm not at home now, so I don't have the \"secret formula\" at hand. I wonder if the owners of the show would even want me to disclose it as they chose never to announce it on air. But both weakest and strongest are each determined by going down a list of about a half dozen variables the first being most questions answered correctly/incorrectly. If there is a tie the next variable on the list is measured. A tie there means going down the list still further, etc..

Not necessarily in this order the variables are items such as: Most questions right, least questions wrong, most money banked, least money lost (by wrong answers), etc..

Questions answered? If not, ask again   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: August 27, 2003, 09:26:52 PM by tvrandywest »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Weakest Link Question
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 11:40:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' date=\'Aug 27 2003, 07:01 PM\'] and even one surprising statistic. [/quote]
Height? Hair color? Sexual prowess? I simply must know! :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2003, 11:40:41 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

Weakest Link Question
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 11:47:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' date=\'Aug 27 2003, 09:01 PM\'] I still have my copy of the rules provided to the contestants from when I was on and you're right, there is a big long list of things and even one surprising statistic.  If it's not a big deal, then I'll post the rules verbatim regarding this procedure.

Harry Brislin [/quote]
 Go for it Harry! As an employee I signed non-disclosure agreements that I will honor. Unless YOU signed something to prohibit sharing such info, it's your choice.    ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com

Robert Hutchinson

Weakest Link Question
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 12:01:21 AM »
Back when syndie Link had been running for a few months, I made a bit of an effort to work it out deductively. Here's what I'm 99% sure of:

1) The first consideration is the number of questions answered correctly or incorrectly. A 2-1 record beats a 2-2 record, a 1-2 record beats a 0-2, etc. It's been so many months that I can't remember whether there was a need (game-wise or mathematics-wise) to give right answers or wrong answers more tiebreaking weight.

2) If two or more contestants have identical right-wrong question tallies, the next consideration is who banked the most money.

3) If two or more contestants have identical W-L records (no pun intended) and also banked equal amounts of money (and even this did happen fairly often), they're ranked based on who answered the highest-valued question correctly. If that's tied, they'll look at second-highest and third-highest and so on. Note that none of this has anything to do with the money subsequently being banked.

For example, two contestants have 3-0 records, and neither banked any money. The first contestant answered questions worth $2500, $1000, and $250. The second contestant, $2500, $1000, and $500. Second contestant is stronger.

Second example, to show that this is not a cumulative total they're judging: First contestant $5000, $250, $250--second contestant $2500, $2500, $2500--first contestant is stronger.

4) If, after all that, there's still a tie (it happened at least twice while I was keeping records), I have not a goshdarned clue how that tie is broken.

The weakest link, while unimportant to the actual mechanics of the game, was determined in much the same way, only the first consideration was who had the worst question record, the second was who had banked the least, etc. One interesting point: if two contestants had the same (worst) W-L record, the same amount of money banked, and the same levels of questions, they were simply declared to both be the statistical weakest link(s). In your face, superlative suffix! ;)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Robert Hutchinson

Weakest Link Question
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 12:06:15 AM »
Oh, one more tiny little fact I forgot to mention: if you are asked a question, and time runs out before you provide an answer, it doesn't count towards your right-wrong tally. Delving into fanciful theory: if you started a round with a right answer, and all the other team members missed their first questions, you could clam up on your second question until time ran out and be guaranteed to be the statistical strongest link. Of course, fat lot of good it'd do you with 2-5 angry contestants staring at you.

Brig Bother

Weakest Link Question
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 05:28:11 AM »
That doesn't seem that weird to be honest - there has to be some way of breaking a complete tie without getting too contrived. I assumed the player closest to the hosts left would win if everything was a tie. But still.

Also interesting: if it can't be decided on by the round the entire game's stats come into play.

Very useful, thanks very much!

dscungio

Weakest Link Question
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 09:49:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' date=\'Aug 28 2003, 02:03 AM\']In determining the strongest link (verbatim from the rules):

\"The strongest link in each timed round is the contestant who provides the most correct answers in that round.  If more than one contestant provides the most correct answers (resulting in a tie), then the contestant among the tied contestants who answered the least of questions incorrectly is the strongest link.  If more than one contestant answered the least number of questions incorrectly, then the producers look to the following statistics in the following order, until any tie has been eliminated:  Most money banked (total for the round); most dollars added to the \"chain\" (total for the round); and fewest dollars lost as a result of answering a question incorrectly after failing to bank.  If, after analyzing all of these statistics, there is still a tie, then the producers look to the above measures of performance on a cumlative basis for the entire game, in the order described above, until all ties have been eliminated.\"

\"If there is still a tie after the above calculations are made, then the strongest link os selected by a random selection process by one or more of the producers from among the remaining tied contestants.\"
[/quote]
Back in the glory days of ATGS, alongside the recaps of the primetime (T)WL episodes, I posted statistics of each game.  Usually, my posts indicated right/wrong percentages (for rounds and the whole game), amounts banked, and streaks of right and wrong answers.  During that time, using real games as examples, I figured out how the Strongest Links were determined.  Now that we have this official explanation, I see that I was mostly right.

I had it as:
1. Percentage of right answers
2. Number of right answers
3. Total amount of money banked
4. Total amount of money earned by a player (A $5,000 question is worth more than a $2,500)

According these official rules, to summarize, it's...
1. Most right answers
2. Least number of wrong answers
3. Amount of money banked by the player
4. Amount of money \"earned\" by answering questions
5. Least amount of money lost by failing to bank
6. Full game performance using the previous 5 steps
7. RANDOM selection by the producers

That last one is surprising.  It's probably so rare, that they almost never use it.

You can use the formula to see how it works below...

[font=\"Courier\"]
Round 3 (2:10)
--------------
ROUND BANK: $15,000 (out of $125,000)
TOTAL BANK: $27,000 (out of $375,000)

STATS: ( *: correct, X: incorrect, $: banked, -: time expired )
                   Rnd  Full
          7  8  9  %age %age
Melissa   *  X  X    33   78 Weakest Link, Lost $2,500 and $1,000
Mariam    *  *  *   100   63
Suzy                       0
Veronica  *  *  *   100   86 Strongest Link
Rick     $X $* $*    67   86 Banked $5,000 and $2,500 twice
Tracy                      0
Donald    *  *  *   100   86
Eric      * $* $-   100   67 Banked $2,500 twice
              TEAM:  82   68
[/font]

Dean Scungio
dscungio@worldnet.att.net (dscungio@worldnet.att.net)
AIM & Y!: dascungio (Note the \"a\"!)

\"It's not how much we give away,
it's the way we do it.\" -Monty Hall

Neumms

Weakest Link Question
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 10:51:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' date=\'Aug 28 2003, 02:03 AM\'] In determining the strongest link (verbatim from the rules):

"The strongest link in each timed round is the contestant who provides the most correct answers in that round.  If more than one contestant provides the most correct answers (resulting in a tie), then the contestant among the tied contestants who answered the least of [sic] questions incorrectly is the strongest link.  If more than one contestant answered the least number of questions incorrectly, then the producers look to the following statistics in the following order. . . " [/quote]
 Leave it to the producers of that show to not comprehend the proper usage of \"least\" and \"fewest.\"

And now I know why it always bugged me when Anne clobbered a contestant for not knowing who the statistically weakest link was--how WOULD they know without a calculator?

Matt Ottinger

Weakest Link Question
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2003, 11:09:23 AM »
HERE'S THE CRAZY PART...

\"If there is still a tie after the above calculations are made, then the strongest link os selected by a random selection process by one or more of the producers from among the remaining tied contestants.\"

Nah, that's not crazy.  Using my NFL analogy, they have a coin toss as their final tiebreaker.  On QuizBusters we seed our teams into a  tournament after they win their first match.  The seeding process has several very specific rules about tiebreakers because over the course of the games, several winning teams would have identical scores.  Still, at some point you run out of logical tiebreaker steps.  Even though it virtually never comes down to it, your last step has to be random.

I doubt in the hundreds of episodes they produced of Weakest Link that they had to break a tie randomly very often, if at all.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Weakest Link Question
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2003, 02:49:03 PM »
[quote name=\'dscungio\' date=\'Aug 28 2003, 06:49 AM\'] 7. RANDOM selection by the producers

That last one is surprising.  It's probably so rare, that they almost never use it.
 [/quote]
 I don't find it any more surprising than the \"x) Coin Toss\" listed at the end of the NFL Playoff tiebreaker list.

And for that exact reason...you'd have to have a STACK of INCREDIBLE coincidences for that to come up. Hell, I think you'd be more likely to see the Coin Toss in the NFL before you would on Weakest Link.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

Weakest Link Question
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2003, 12:37:07 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 28 2003, 01:49 PM\']And for that exact reason...you'd have to have a STACK of INCREDIBLE coincidences for that to come up. Hell, I think you'd be more likely to see the Coin Toss in the NFL before you would on Weakest Link.[/quote]
The most likely one I can think of: every contestant in the first round gets to answer exactly two questions, and every contestant misses all of them. Of course, that never happened . . .

I still wish that someone--anyone--had run out the clock intentionally during a round. There were some third rounds, with one player being the only remaining member of his/her gender on stage (excepting Mr. Gray as necessary), where I thought for sure it was going to happen.