Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows that taped despite technical problems...  (Read 16010 times)

Matt Ottinger

Shows that taped despite technical problems...
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2006, 04:13:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 04:21 PM\']Well, clearly I screwed up that quoting.  Ah, well.[/quote]
Not so badly that I couldn't take care of it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2006, 04:28:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 12:21 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 3 2006, 02:43 PM\']And when that happened, I immediately looked, and noticed that Howie doesn't wear an IFB.[/quote]
Non-technical Que?
[/quote]
IFB: Interruptible Feed-Back. The earpiece a television news anchor wears so they can hear what's going on while their mic is open. "Interruptible" because the producer usually has a button and a microphone in the control room that they can press to speak directly to them.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2006, 05:06:34 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 04:28 PM\']IFB: Interruptible Feed-Back. The earpiece a television news anchor wears so they can hear what's going on while their mic is open. "Interruptible" because the producer usually has a button and a microphone in the control room that they can press to speak directly to them.
[snapback]111955[/snapback]
[/quote]

And yet UNinterrupable in that the one wearing the earpiece always has to listen to what the person on the other end is saying.

When you have dumbass producers who can't give time cues, it's not a handy tool.

Rant over.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

ChuckNet

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2006, 10:35:31 PM »
Also, there were a few times during the second Tournament of Losers where the puzzle slots wouldn't open, so Bert had to write the puzzle words and answers on a piece of posterboard.

It also happened again during a 1987 wk w/Jamie Farr and Stuart Pankin, only that time, the prob was that the wrong puzzle had been loaded in the board.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Clay Zambo

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2006, 03:42:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 04:13 PM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 04:21 PM\']Well, clearly I screwed up that quoting.  Ah, well.[/quote]
[snapback]111953[/snapback]
[/quote]

Gee, thanks!  And thanks to Chris and MattS for the technical explanation.  (Matt, what the heck happened to your machine during this morning's 6:30 8-day?)
czambo@mac.com

sshuffield70

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2006, 09:58:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 02:42 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 04:13 PM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 04:21 PM\']Well, clearly I screwed up that quoting.  Ah, well.[/quote]
[snapback]111953[/snapback]
[/quote]

Gee, thanks!  And thanks to Chris and MattS for the technical explanation.  (Matt, what the heck happened to your machine during this morning's 6:30 8-day?)
[snapback]112009[/snapback]
[/quote]

Who the hell is dumb enough to do an 8 day forecast?  Yeah, even if your channel is 8 (see, I ain't dumb), what's the likelihood it'll change.........a lot?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2006, 10:33:49 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 06:58 PM\']Who the hell is dumb enough to do an 8 day forecast?  Yeah, even if your channel is 8 (see, I ain't dumb), what's the likelihood it'll change.........a lot?
[snapback]112034[/snapback]
[/quote]
You have clearly never lived on the central coast of California. or any of many other places in the world where you absolutely can predict the weather (See that? Predict. That means it's a guess based on information present at that moment. If it changes four days later, you don't have to stick to it.) eight days out.

But no, you "ain't" dumb at all.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dale_grass

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2006, 06:28:54 PM »
ISTR a one-hour Dawson Feud where Mark Goodson was a player.  On the last question of the game when the points were supposed to be added to the right bank, the last two digits of the score were put in the first two spaces of the bank and the last space left empty.  Richard then screamed off stage, "DID THEY WIN? DO THEY HAVE ENOUGH?" (or something to that effect).  It wouldn't be so bad except it was right in front of the boss.

zachhoran

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2006, 07:12:45 PM »
Today's GSN airing of P+ showed an Alphabetics where the on-screen clock did not tick down at all, but time was kept track of offstage nonetheless.

TimK2003

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2006, 07:20:28 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 09:58 PM\']Who the hell is dumb enough to do an 8 day forecast?  Yeah, even if your channel is 8 (see, I ain't dumb), what's the likelihood it'll change.........a lot?
[snapback]112034[/snapback]
[/quote]

Here in Cleveland, most of the channels do:

WKYC -- Channel 3 is the ONLY station that will not do more than a five day, although they occasionally hint about any trends beyond the 5 day, but they don't display it.

Over at our Channel 8 -- WJW,  all of the meteorologists do an 8-day...Except for their 75-year-old King of all Meteorolgists (40+ years doing Cleveland Weather), he sticks with 5 days.

The Raycom combo WOIO-19 & WUAB-43 do 7-days "where the weekend is *always* in view"

Newschannel 5-WEWS does a 5+5 day forecast going the furthest at 10 days.

And yet, we are in prime "lake effect" country where the winter weather can and will change on an hourly basis -- and you cannot predict that 5 days ahead.  Go figure.

(ON TOPIC:  Don Webster, retired WEWS Meteorologist, has hosted Cleveand's "Academic Challenge" the longest.)

b_masters9

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2006, 06:20:17 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 6 2006, 07:12 PM\']Today's GSN airing of P+ showed an Alphabetics where the on-screen clock did not tick down at all, but time was kept track of offstage nonetheless.
[snapback]112084[/snapback]
[/quote]

Is that the one where a contestant named Jon won $5,000 by guessing "Lawn"? I saw a clip of that from password-plus.com, and I heard Allen say "You got it!!!" when Jon won the big prize. (Exclamation points mine for emphasis.)

Ben

zachhoran

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2006, 08:45:50 AM »
[quote name=\'b_masters9\' date=\'Mar 7 2006, 06:20 AM\']
Is that the one where a contestant named Jon won $5,000 by guessing "Lawn"? I saw a clip of that from password-plus.com, and I heard Allen say "You got it!!!" when Jon won the big prize. (Exclamation points mine for emphasis.)

[snapback]112117[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nope. Yesterday's Alphabetics had Dick Martin and his partner nailing the first nine words, working on the tenth, "Saloon", when time ran out. The contestant guessed it just after the buzzer sounded, too.

pownster

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2006, 05:55:19 AM »
In Australia - where productions costs must be kept down to make the game shows viable - often technical glitches are left in the shows when they're finally aired, to save having to perform too many multiple takes.

I can think of numerous occasions where pricing games on "The Price Is Right" have broken/failed - these moments have often lead to some of the best moments - especially when hosts have been forced to ad-lib.

Very common are minor techincal errors - wrong lighting sequences being used, wrong sound effects/backing music being used in segments and of course, verbal gaffs from the hosts/contestants.

Believe you me - US game shows these days are slick almost to the degree of being totally unnatural IMHO.
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

Ian Wallis

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2006, 09:19:31 AM »
Believe you me - US game shows these days are slick almost to the degree of being totally unnatural IMHO.

I miss the days when they weren't as heavily edited.  Back then, you just never knew what would happen tech-wise.  Now, it's pretty much a forgone conclusion.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

jdhernandez

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2006, 05:30:51 AM »
Nine pages, and nobody has mentioned the "Press Your Luck" episode where the slides blew!

Well, not all of them, but some of them blew enough where a show had to be completed during a different taping session. As per David Hammett's tale, he was in the audience for the first part of that show, but couldn't see the conclusion to that show because of the incident. As the show aired, there are some VERY noticeable edits towards the end. =)
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.