Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To tell the truth, he's running  (Read 5635 times)

Fedya

To tell the truth, he's running
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 10:20:57 PM »
FoxSportsFan wrote:
Let's play "Oddsmaker" here.
Would those be real odds, or "Celebrity Sweepstakes" odds?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

dzinkin

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 10:34:58 PM »
Most of the political blogs I read (Republican-leaning ones, to be sure) think that Lynn will have a tough time in Philly.  However, some have said that it may be less because of his politics than because Eagles fans are likely to vote en masse against a former Steeler.

That said: what, if any, equal-time rules apply when GSN inevitably gets around to the Swann episodes again?  Do the rules apply to cable?  (And will anyone bother to complain anyway? ;-)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 12:37:10 PM »
There are no equal time rules for cable or broadcast TV anymore.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 12:43:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 5 2006, 11:37 AM\']There are no equal time rules for cable or broadcast TV anymore.
[snapback]106790[/snapback]
[/quote]

They'll probably still take them off until after the election, just to be on the side of caution.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 10:14:55 PM »
Sounds like a darn good excuse to break out some Garry Moore eps.
@lambertman

comicus

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 12:53:32 PM »
Three pages of replies, and nobody stupid tried to play armchair pundit, or make any ridiculous comments about why Swann is (blank) because of his stance on (blank).  I'm proud of you guys!

DrBear

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 03:16:22 PM »
That's probably because:
1. We don't live in PA and it doesn't affect our lives at all and
2. We don't really know what he stands for, except that
a. he's Republican
b. he's undoubtedly got a goodly amount of money
c. he's in favor of the five-yard chuck rule
d. we know one of the contestants is sworn to tell the truth.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 09:22:35 PM »
Swann in all seriousness will have an uphill climb to get elected. Not the least of his problems is that frankly, Pennsylvania is not the most progressive state in the country when it comes to statewide offices. (Older white males, pretty much as far as the eye can see.)  Still, there are plenty of examples of a popular sports figure being elected to office and very few examples of a serious candidate from the world of sports failing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

catnap1972

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 11:18:18 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jan 8 2006, 03:16 PM\']That's probably because:
1. We don't live in PA and
2. We don't really know what he stands for
[snapback]107073[/snapback]
[/quote]

We live in PA and still don't know what the heck he stands for.

aaron sica

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2006, 12:01:25 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' date=\'Jan 9 2006, 11:18 AM\'][quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jan 8 2006, 03:16 PM\']That's probably because:
1. We don't live in PA and
2. We don't really know what he stands for
[snapback]107073[/snapback]
[/quote]

We live in PA and still don't know what the heck he stands for.
[snapback]107124[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seconded. I need to do some research and find out what he stands for before I back him - although a former game show host is a good start. :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 12:01:44 PM by aaron sica »

mystery7

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2006, 10:22:35 PM »
My research so far indicates that Governor Rendell's probably got more of a plan to take over Swann's Comcast SportsNet job than Swann's got for replacing Rendell.

TimK2003

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 08:46:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 8 2006, 09:22 PM\']Swann in all seriousness will have an uphill climb to get elected. Not the least of his problems is that frankly, Pennsylvania is not the most progressive state in the country when it comes to statewide offices. (Older white males, pretty much as far as the eye can see.)  Still, there are plenty of examples of a popular sports figure being elected to office and very few examples of a serious candidate from the world of sports failing.
[snapback]107093[/snapback]
[/quote]

But regardless, Swann does have a fighting chance.  I would be willing to bet that Pennsylvania has more Steelers fans than Eagles fans (even after they choke to Indy this weekend).  And the Steelers fans still treat their alumni like royalty.  And how many other PA candiates can claim that they are enshrined in the Pittsburgh Steelers Hall Of Fame and/or the Pro Football Hall of Fame??

Plus, run a bunch of campaign ads during the Steelers games next season while the fans are tanked up on Iron City Beer and you've got a good core group...

...But then again, we're talking about people from Pittsburgh -- guys who fall in love with women with big moustaches on their faces and armpits.  (Sorry, us Browns fans have to draw the compliment line somewhere!!)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006, 09:55:44 PM »
I feel a little dirty for digging up this thread just to mention this, but The Daily Show had a segment last night on the candidacies of several black Republicans, including Lynn Swann. The "relevant" part was later on, as the show-ending Moment of Zen was a somewhat edited TTTT '90 show opening, one hosted (of course) by Swann.

(If someone wants to experience nirvana by pinning down the date, Kitty Carlisle was pre-seated.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 10:45:45 PM »
Now that Jon Stewart has hosted the Oscars, can he truly be snarky anymore?  Hard to believe, but Bob Hope, Johnny Carson, Billy Crystal, Dave Letterman and Chris Rock were once considered hip.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 10:49:39 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 10:52:55 PM »
I think if the assembled crowd hates you, you earn a reprieve. I wouldn't rank Letterman or Rock as particularly unhip at the moment--or at least not any less so than they were when they hosted.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin