Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old-School Wheel of Fortune  (Read 9467 times)

Don Howard

Old-School Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2006, 12:42:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 11:36 PM\']Now I have an idea.  Bring back returning champions.  I really don't get why it was eliminated in the first place.  "More contestants can be seen" ... not that strong of an argument.
[snapback]110716[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is true. If more contestants is what they want, bring in a new set of players every time there's a new puzzle.
Oh, God, I was kidding. Please don't really do this.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 12:42:32 AM by Don Howard »

Clay Zambo

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2006, 01:44:08 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Feb 19 2006, 07:26 PM\']From the "E! True Hollywood Story" done on "Wheel" a couple years back straight out of the man's mouth.
[/quote]

Interesting.

I stand corrected.
czambo@mac.com

wheelloon

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2006, 02:05:57 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 08:41 PM\'][quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 04:24 PM\']In the bonus round, keep it as is, except maybe make the top prize $250k
[/quote]
Why? No, I'm not gonna bash you for being an idiot, I'm simply going to ask for your rationalization as to why this makes the show better.

You may, if you like, argue the converse and tell me why slashing it to $50K would make the show worse. I'm willing to listen to it either way.
[snapback]110691[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's why I included the word maybe. It wouldn't make the show or the bonus round itself significantly better, because the current format is my favorite in Wheel's history. It would just be to provide more money to be won for the contestants, and allow Charlie O' to call out another dollar value at the top of his lungs... ;)

What the heck, maybe it would grab a few more viewers every night because the show would have more money on the line... *Runs for cover*
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Kevin Prather

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2006, 02:12:30 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 12:05 PM\']It wouldn't make the show or the bonus round itself significantly better, because the current format is my favorite in Wheel's history.[/quote]
And if you like it, that automatically makes it good?
(I'm not disagreeing with your assertion that the current bonus format is good. I'm just questioning your reasoning.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 02:13:35 PM by whoserman »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2006, 02:41:10 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 11:05 AM\']It wouldn't make the show or the bonus round itself significantly better,
[/quote]
<Anne Robinson> That is the correct answer. </AR>

So you do understand, then, in the business world, that increasing the amount of money spent on an aspect of a project, while providing no discernible improvement in the overall project, that's how people tend to get fired, right?

(Or, apparently, made CEO of Radio Shack. But I digress.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FeudDude

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2006, 02:47:00 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 12:33 PM\']Actually, even though I only see the show a few times a year now (and the last time I saw it, I was as sick as a dog), it only seems to me that the overproduction with the graphics added in post and SFX and music cues are the only bad things now.  It's still pretty much as it was and for the most part, I don't object to the gameplay tweaks currently being used.
[snapback]110636[/snapback]
[/quote]

You pretty much nailed it.  I don't really have a problem with the current format, save for the unnecessary extra toss-up before the first main round.  The problem is that presentation-wise, the show is all flash and no class.  This goes for the set, the music, the graphics, the editing, and of course, the obnoxious contestants.  It all overshadows the game, instead of complementing it nicely.

I think Wheel was at its best when it was taping at Television City.  But even if they could get the vibe of the show back to something like it was in the late 90s, I'd be content.

Gromit

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2006, 04:12:25 PM »
I don't really care about the shopping, but when I downloaded some videos of older 199x shows recently, I really noticed how much better the game was without the tossups etc. I can live with the flash, but there's way less game now.

And yes, on the returning champs. Since I got my tivo I've been watching way more GSN than ever before, and I notice that everything I really enjoy has returning champs. Leland on Blockbusters. Ken on Jeopardy. Others on Password, and so forth.

I like to see someone play the game *well*. Returning champs, especially those for more than a couple of days are usually excellent at the game, and they provide a natural attraction to tune in tomorrow.

Technical issues that make running shows in order are *long* gone.