Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Local Movie "Game Shows"  (Read 7140 times)

dzinkin

Local Movie "Game Shows"
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 02:00:04 PM »
TV POWWW! was run between cartoons here as well -- in our case, on then-brand-new independent station WUHF (now a Fox affiliate).  The original host was WBBF radio host Dave Mason, followed by Dale Hartnett (who had subbed for Dave on occasion and is still at WUHF today, albeit behind the scenes) and finally another radio guy, WNYR's Tim Kincaid, who hosted as "Ranger Bob."  WUHF's version used both the Fairchild and Intellivision games; I remember the same games Chris does, plus a slot machine game with the top prize going to any kid who could get "P-O-W" on the three "wheels."

After WUHF lost the rights to TV POWWW!, the show became The Buckaroo Club and ran first on WUHF, then on "WGRC," an independent "station" run by the local cable company.  Apparently Ranger Bob then moved his act to Orlando, a fact I didn't know until I Googled around and found his web site, which has at least one shot of him on WUHF's TV POWWW! set.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 02:01:14 PM by dzinkin »

Don Howard

Local Movie "Game Shows"
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 02:04:06 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jan 10 2006, 05:46 PM\']You need to submit the $$$ Value of the Flair Squares (another prize that was given out forever on that show) to Jay Lewis' Game Show Winners website
[snapback]107249[/snapback]
[/quote]
I have no idea how much those things were worth, Tim. I let my Mom have 'em.
I can contribute to the tabulation the ei8ht bucks I earned as a "pin pal" on Bowling For Dollars.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 02:04:22 PM by Don Howard »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Local Movie "Game Shows"
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 02:12:10 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 11:00 AM\']I remember the same games Chris does, plus a slot machine game with the top prize going to any kid who could get "P-O-W" on the three "wheels."
[/quote]
Oh, we had the slots game, too. I'd forgotten about that one - probably because it was easily the weakest one of the format.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Tony

Local Movie "Game Shows"
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 05:01:44 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 02:00 PM\']After WUHF lost the rights to TV POWWW!, the show became The Buckaroo Club and ran first on WUHF, then on "WGRC," an independent "station" run by the local cable company.  Apparently Ranger Bob then moved his act to Orlando, a fact I didn't know until I Googled around and found his web site, which has at least one shot of him on WUHF's TV POWWW! set.
[snapback]107316[/snapback]
[/quote]
I had lived in the Daytona beach area for about 15 months in 1991-92 (the area is part of the Orlando market, thus we received the Orlando TV stations).  I remember watching Ranger Bob almost every weekday; of course the real reason my siblings and I watched that station (WKCF Channel 18, now WB I believe) during that time slot was Tiny Toon Adventures.

ObGameShow: Anyone with an FM radio in Central Florida can listen to The Price Is Right on it (yes, the local CBS affiliate is on Channel 6).

aaron sica

Local Movie "Game Shows"
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 05:08:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 05:01 PM\']ObGameShow: Anyone with an FM radio in Central Florida can listen to The Price Is Right on it (yes, the local CBS affiliate is on Channel 6).
[snapback]107332[/snapback]
[/quote]

87.7 is the frequency, I believe - this works for any VHF station airing on Channel 6, considering the frequencies are so close together.

TimK2003

Local Movie "Game Shows"
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 07:55:44 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 05:08 PM\'][quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 05:01 PM\']ObGameShow: Anyone with an FM radio in Central Florida can listen to The Price Is Right on it (yes, the local CBS affiliate is on Channel 6).
[snapback]107332[/snapback]
[/quote]

87.7 is the frequency, I believe - this works for any VHF station airing on Channel 6, considering the frequencies are so close together.
[snapback]107333[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oddly enough, when I was a kid, my parents had an old Olsen stereo receiver, and for some unknown reason, it was the only radio/stereo receiver in our house that was able to pull in the audio from WJW-TV/Channel *8* in Cleveland.

It was because of that stereo that got me hooked on game show music, as I had taped nearly every game show open and close during the mid-70s that was on Channel 8, (Including BtB, The $128,000 Question, Double Dare, TPiR, even "The Muppet Show" and "The New Candid Camera Show").  

Sadly, I made the mistake of taping over all of them (except BtB since it was without applause and with long credit roll) in the early 80s when I didn't think having game show themes on tape was "cool" anymore.

kurtinrod62

Local Movie "Game Shows"
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 01:08:22 PM »
In Pittsburgh, WIIC [Now WPXI] NBC 11 had "Match It" on "The Big Show", a movie show hosted by By Williams on weekdays during the late afternoons in the mid-to-late 60s. By [Short for Byron] would call the lucky person on the phone to match photos of, IIRC, stars of various NBC and Channel 11 shows for cash prizes. An "X" on the picture would stop the game.