Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And Away It Goes  (Read 9183 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
And Away It Goes
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2006, 09:25:08 PM »
Hot Seat?

comicus

And Away It Goes
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2006, 10:56:31 AM »
I tend to root for game shows, even moderately bad ones, simply because the genre needs all the air time it can come by.  But I distinctly recall cheering out loud when I heard the announcement of CS2K1's cancellation on Entertainment Tonight.  I don't think I was exactlly sad when 100% was sacked, either.

dzinkin

And Away It Goes
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2006, 01:28:10 PM »
For me... Family Secrets.  I didn't think much of the game itself and it replaced a talk show that I'd liked -- so I didn't cry any tears when it was canceled.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 01:28:29 PM by dzinkin »

tvwxman

And Away It Goes
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2006, 02:15:54 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jan 2 2006, 01:28 PM\']For me... Family Secrets.  I didn't think much of the game itself and it replaced a talk show that I'd liked -- so I didn't cry any tears when it was canceled.
[snapback]106465[/snapback]
[/quote]

Agree almost wholeheartedly, except that for NBC , bringing FS to the table meant that they were almost getting back into the daytime GS business....at the time, they had a 2 hour block going...and so while I thought FS was a piece of garbage, it was nice to think there was a bit of momentum in their overall thinking.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
And Away It Goes
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2006, 03:19:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jan 2 2006, 01:15 PM\']Agree almost wholeheartedly, except that for NBC , bringing FS to the table meant that they were almost getting back into the daytime GS business....at the time, they had a 2 hour block going...and so while I thought FS was a piece of garbage, it was nice to think there was a bit of momentum in their overall thinking.
[snapback]106469[/snapback]
[/quote]
At least FS was replaced with CAESAR'S CHALLENGE, so there was one redeeming thing about it.  :)

Shame Jane Whitney came along and ruined the whole thing. . .

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

And Away It Goes
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2006, 12:57:28 PM »
At least FS was replaced with CAESAR'S CHALLENGE, so there was one redeeming thing about it. :)

Caesar's Challenge was originally supposed to go to syndication instead of NBC - and I can't help thinking it would have had a longer run if it had.  It never seemed to find its footing on NBC and (I thought) was cancelled ahead of its time.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

And Away It Goes
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006, 07:25:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 3 2006, 12:57 PM\']
At least FS was replaced with CAESAR'S CHALLENGE, so there was one redeeming thing about it. :)

Caesar's Challenge was originally supposed to go to syndication instead of NBC - and I can't help thinking it would have had a longer run if it had.  It never seemed to find its footing on NBC and (I thought) was cancelled ahead of its time.
[snapback]106583[/snapback]
[/quote]

Given the fate of syndicated game shows for most of the 90s(the only 90s syndie GS debuts to last more than two seasons were Newlywed/Dating hour and Bergeron HS), I wouldn't bet on Syndicated Caesar's lasting more than a full season.

Matt Ottinger

And Away It Goes
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2006, 11:22:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 31 2005, 09:51 AM\']Has there ever been an instance when a game show cancellation was announced and instead of being upset with a game going off the air, you were glad to see it gone? [/quote]
Getting back to the original question...

No.  Never.  There were many game shows I hated, so I didn't watch them.  There were definitely times where a game show I disliked was replaced with one I liked a lot more. There were many times whene I didn't particularly care whether a show went away.   Still, I never cheered the demise of one of our own.  Ever.  Not even the original 3's A Crowd.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 11:25:06 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jay Temple

And Away It Goes
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2006, 10:23:04 AM »
I wouldn't exactly say I was happy when Pyramid was cancelled, but I remember thinking that at least the coast would be clear a few years later for someone to come back and do it right.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

uncamark

And Away It Goes
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2006, 06:31:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 3 2006, 10:22 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 31 2005, 09:51 AM\']Has there ever been an instance when a game show cancellation was announced and instead of being upset with a game going off the air, you were glad to see it gone? [/quote]
Getting back to the original question...

No.  Never.  There were many game shows I hated, so I didn't watch them.  There were definitely times where a game show I disliked was replaced with one I liked a lot more. There were many times whene I didn't particularly care whether a show went away.   Still, I never cheered the demise of one of our own.  Ever.  Not even the original 3's A Crowd.
[snapback]106623[/snapback]
[/quote]

Same here--and that's for any kind of TV show (although I may act different when "Eye for an Eye" and "Cheaters" get canned--[sarcasm]the folks in Dallas must be proud of these quality programs originating in their city[sarcasm]).  Of course, back when I was a kid I knew there'd be another game show coming along in the same time slot, especially if it was in the morning.  That doesn't happen now.

JakeT

And Away It Goes
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2006, 08:52:03 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 4 2006, 05:31 PM\']Same here--and that's for any kind of TV show (although I may act different when "Eye for an Eye" and "Cheaters" get canned--[sarcasm]the folks in Dallas must be proud of these quality programs originating in their city[sarcasm]). 
[snapback]106716[/snapback]
[/quote]

I watch "CHEATERS" for two reasons only...first, to see which Dallas locations the local trashbags are gravitating to most frequently these days (once, they trapped a filthy fornicating female two doors down from my first condo...the shaaame of it all!) and second, just which dirtbag will be next to stab (or shoot, bludgeon or similar nasty violent thingy) that busybody Joey Greco...I would just love to concoct a juicy but bogus case for them involving a combination of drag queens, leather dudes and big-haired Mary Kay representatives...:)

Jake

sshuffield70

And Away It Goes
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2006, 11:29:34 PM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' date=\'Jan 4 2006, 08:52 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 4 2006, 05:31 PM\']Same here--and that's for any kind of TV show (although I may act different when "Eye for an Eye" and "Cheaters" get canned--[sarcasm]the folks in Dallas must be proud of these quality programs originating in their city[sarcasm]). 
[snapback]106716[/snapback]
[/quote]

I watch "CHEATERS" for two reasons only...first, to see which Dallas locations the local trashbags are gravitating to most frequently these days (once, they trapped a filthy fornicating female two doors down from my first condo...the shaaame of it all!) and second, just which dirtbag will be next to stab (or shoot, bludgeon or similar nasty violent thingy) that busybody Joey Greco...I would just love to concoct a juicy but bogus case for them involving a combination of drag queens, leather dudes and big-haired Mary Kay representatives...:)

Jake
[snapback]106734[/snapback]
[/quote]

Careful about your diatribe about Joel S. (Joey) Greco.  "Cheaters" is by no means his only job.  I should know because for a time, both of us were based in the same real estate office.  He works both part time as necessary, which is why he does both.  I'm happy to say he's also an acquaintance of mine.

As for the stabbing incident aboard the boat, seen on the VH1 special, he's mentioned to co-workers who told me that the segment was played up more than it really was.

Jimmy Owen

And Away It Goes
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2006, 11:59:45 PM »
Does he host "Cheaters" to make ends meet or because he wants to?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 12:44:47 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

sshuffield70

And Away It Goes
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2006, 09:26:50 AM »
I'd say in the beginning it was to make ends meet.  Considering that a lot of his clients are "rich" (homes over $300,000) and therefore making good commissions, I'd say these days it's because he likes it.

BTW, he does have a degree in counseling and that likely has some bearing on his being there.

BrandonFG

And Away It Goes
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2006, 09:45:05 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 5 2006, 09:26 AM\']I'd say in the beginning it was to make ends meet.  Considering that a lot of his clients are "rich" (homes over $300,000) and therefore making good commissions, I'd say these days it's because he likes it.

BTW, he does have a degree in counseling and that likely has some bearing on his being there.
[snapback]106778[/snapback]
[/quote]
Count me in as someone who loves the show, and I'm not just saying it because you mentioned your acquaintanceship (is that a word) with Joey. :-P

Two questions I've always wondered about...
1) Is it only shot in the Dallas/Fort-Worth area? Most of the stuff I've seen has the Dallas skyline or a DART bus in the background, and it just seems weird there's so many unfaithful people in Dallas. ;-)
2) Are  any, if not, all the scenes done by actors in case things get out of hand...in other words, is it a re-enactment and/or played up for dramatics?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!