Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Clark  (Read 16897 times)

FeudDude

Dick Clark
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2006, 01:04:19 AM »
Although I do feel sadness over the state he's in, it's still wonderful to see that he made it to Times Square this year and is in high spirits.  Furthermore, it's great to be seeing him throughout the show - I thought maybe he'd only make one speech.

whewfan

Dick Clark
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2006, 01:08:31 AM »
I agree with Adam. I'll add that we should hope and pray that Dick can continue to make progress, because he's obviously off to a very good start. I think despite that "we were warned", there was still a sense of "shock". It's like one would still jump when hearing the sound of a balloon pop, even if the person popping the balloon was right infront of us.

Don't feel sorry for Dick, there's no reason to.

FOXSportsFan

Dick Clark
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2006, 01:09:22 AM »
I see your point, the glass half full end of the spectrum, Adam, believe me I do.  He does have the life in him, it's just that the voice, the tie that connects broadcaster with viewer/listener is at fault at least in the interim.  He'll never sound as he use to...he will sound better though, I'm sure in due time.  And, if there's a next year for Dick, I hope he'll be back and sounding better.

Say, let's have a little fun.  A broadcaster in Connecticut has compiled some interesting sound clips from Dick's NYRE 2004.  They can be heard here: http://www.theradiotrip.com/sections/audio...earsrockin.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 01:12:59 AM by FOXSportsFan »

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Dick Clark
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2006, 01:20:00 AM »
A great sign was that some of his famous cadence snuck through - you could hear that patented Dick Clark delivery slide through every so often, and it sounds like he got better as the night went on (and nerves wore off, I guess).

Congratulations, Dick, and get even more well soon.
@lambertman

Brandon Brooks

Dick Clark
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2006, 01:28:43 AM »
I'll just echo what everyone else has said... I was just simply so choked up.  I've spent a few New Year's Eves with him, and well, he didn't sound the same.  However, I was watching for a few minutes and got over it.  Yeah, he's not the same, but in reality, he really is the same.  It felt the same to me.  He knows he sounds slurred and he could've shied away.  But he didn't because he wanted to participate in something he's made special for decades.  And I was just really proud of him.

And unless they superimposed a background behind him, which seems very unnecessary, he was live.  Thanks, Dick.

Brandon Brooks

DrJWJustice

Dick Clark
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2006, 01:36:50 AM »
I didn't know whether to applaud or cry when I saw and heard Dick tonight.  I guess both would be the 'right' way to react.  I immediately thought back to Winning Lines and his appearance on the Osmond version of 'Pyramid', to happier days for him.  Still, it's amazing to see him bounce back this quickly -- and yes, this is quick -- from a stroke, particularly at his age.  Not many could do what he did tonight or have done it as well, and it was very clear that he was having a good time.  

Well done, Dick!  I hope to see you back at the desk and doing even better for New Year's Rockin' Eve '07.

Gromit

Dick Clark
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2006, 03:40:58 AM »
Just heard Dick, didn't see him, as I was channel flipping (aside: there are *zero* good New Years shows any more).

I must admit my first thought was sadness, but folks make some good points above. Kudos for getting out there and doing the show again.

Terry K

Dick Clark
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2006, 03:51:10 AM »
My reaction to seeing Mr. Clark  on ABC and right now on GSN...

Dick Clark is back and the world is a better place.

You could just hear the emotion in his voice as he was calling the ball drop.  Also, you could tell he wanted to be there more than anything, and a speech he made later on in the evening said it all.

As much as he's been through, after hearing his slurred speech for a bit, I quickly was picking out the Dick Clark of old.  For a man to have been what he's been through and come back a year later and do something that defines him (and NYE really does define him), with all the courage and grace it took for him to get up there and do the job as well as he did speaks more than he ever can.

My respect for Dick Clark has grown considerably as I now can see what a trooper he really is.  

(And also, was it just me, or was Ryan Seacrest trying to do his best imitation of Mr. Clark!?)

joe_capitano

Dick Clark
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2006, 05:36:26 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Dec 31 2005, 09:44 PM\']It appears his segments are pre-recorded (unless, Randy, you correct me and tell me otherwise) Despite all this, Dick Clark is still Dick Clark, and it was touching to see him kissing a lady that I assume is his wife when the ball was finished descending.[/quote]
I can assure you Dick's part in the proceedings was very much live - at least until after the midnight segment, and that was his lovely wife on hand to carry on the other tradition. His microphone stayed open for a bit as they exchanged their smooches, too.

They did "pull back" the shot a bit whenever Dick was on (very slow zoom), which I think was appropriate. Considering what he and Kari have gone through over the last 13 months, he looks pretty darn good despite it all. He's still got some of that "eternal teenager" in him. May it last.

IMO, I think he WAS ready for this party.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 05:52:01 AM by joe_capitano »

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Dick Clark
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2006, 06:13:11 AM »
Everyone can tell that that man had tried and tried, and gave it his all. He looked like he hasn't changed a bit, and he still got it. Like many people on the board have stated...respect for that man has grown exponentially, especially for me personally.

narzo

Dick Clark
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2006, 08:41:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Jan 1 2006, 03:51 AM\'](And also, was it just me, or was Ryan Seacrest trying to do his best imitation of Mr. Clark!?)
[snapback]106391[/snapback]
[/quote]

yeah, Ryan has a great love for Dick

(sorry, had to lighten the mood a bit)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 08:41:33 AM by narzo »

jbrocato

Dick Clark
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2006, 09:07:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Jan 1 2006, 03:51 AM\']My reaction to seeing Mr. Clark  on ABC and right now on GSN...

Dick Clark is back and the world is a better place.

You could just hear the emotion in his voice as he was calling the ball drop.  Also, you could tell he wanted to be there more than anything, and a speech he made later on in the evening said it all.

(And also, was it just me, or was Ryan Seacrest trying to do his best imitation of Mr. Clark!?)
[snapback]106391[/snapback]
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I messed up with the VCR and did not hear his speech later.  But it was good to see him back.

John Brocato

DrBear

Dick Clark
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2006, 09:14:06 AM »
I hadn't wanted to comment, but something struck me as I watched Dick Clark last night...

"Hmm...reminds me of Kirk Douglas at the Oscars."

In short, a guy who has gone through a life-changing event and, with the true dedication of a longtime performer, tries to make it look as if it's had all the effects of a haircut. It's difficult, and our first impulse is sympathy.

But as I listened - and yes, I also heard some of that distinctive timbre in his voice through the slurring - I heard another message -

"This is what I DO, dammit, and I'm not going to give it up just because my body failed me once. And if I've changed too much for you, it's YOUR problem. I'm happy to be here, so let's enjoy the night."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

GS Warehouse

Dick Clark
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2006, 11:13:42 AM »
Even a hoarse Dick Clark is better than no Dick Clark.  If the comic strips are to be believed, he's already looking forward to next New Year's Eve.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dick Clark
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2006, 02:42:43 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jan 1 2006, 06:14 AM\']In short, a guy who has gone through a life-changing event and, with the true dedication of a longtime performer, tries to make it look as if it's had all the effects of a haircut. It's difficult, and our first impulse is sympathy.

But as I listened - and yes, I also heard some of that distinctive timbre in his voice through the slurring - I heard another message -

"This is what I DO, dammit, and I'm not going to give it up just because my body failed me once. And if I've changed too much for you, it's YOUR problem. I'm happy to be here, so let's enjoy the night."
[snapback]106408[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is a rather interesting way of looking at it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe