Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You mean it didn't originate as a game show?  (Read 9142 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
You mean it didn't originate as a game show?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 13 2005, 11:28 PM\'][quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Dec 13 2005, 10:59 PM\']High Rollers might have been loosely based on a dice game called Shut the Box.[/quote]
Can I get a whoosh from the congregation?
[snapback]104661[/snapback]
[/quote]

WHOOOOOOSH, preacher. Say it again.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:34:18 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 10:46:06 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Dec 13 2005, 11:33 PM\']Looking back at the "game shows derived from board games," wasn't that how most game shows started?  Someone said "If you add a picture puzzle as the third layer, Concentration could be a game show!"  A boring question bee becomes a TV sensation with graded values, the chance to risk the lot at certain points. A boring question bee becomes mildly interesting if you add a tic-tac-toe board, slot machine, or $500 a point as the grand prize.  It all still goes back to board games.[/quote]

On my website I have a page that covers licensed properties that were turned into game shows.  (And yes, I know I need to add Balderdash.)  I distinguish between those and the everyday, commonplace, generic games like tic-tac-toe or small-c "concentration".  

Still you can squeeze almost anything to fit just about any constraints you want.  Here's a fun discussion about how any story ever written boils down to a limited number of plots.  The same is generally true of games, too, but I'd prefer to note obvious, direct linkages (such as the one between Millionaire and The $64,000 Question, or even between Wheel of Fortune and hangman) than to generalize to the point that we start suggesting that all "question bees" are the same.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 10:59:58 PM »
I'll admit that saying that any quiz show ever boils down to "Go to the Head of the Class"  does take most of the sport out of the thread, but there are more obvious ones.  "Video Village" is the Life Sized Board Game, though which one you want to link it to is hard.  It's not quite Parcheesi, and not quite The Game of Life, and we can be thankful for that, because if you can imagine something more boring than playing "Life," it's watching people play it.  Uff.
Travis L. Eberle

musicman

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 11:30:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 13 2005, 12:25 PM\']Did anyone else learn that something in a game show didn't originate there?
[snapback]104588[/snapback]
[/quote]

For me, it was SCRABBLE.  The first time I heard about a Scrabble board game, I thought it was based on the TV show.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 11:30:25 PM by musicman »

Fedya

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 12:13:44 AM »
Music Man wrote:
For me, it was SCRABBLE. The first time I heard about a Scrabble board game, I thought it was based on the TV show.
You mean the "It's the board game you've played all your life, but never quite like this!" shtick didn't imply to you that the TV show was based on a board game?  :-p
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

musicman

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 12:48:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 12:13 AM\']You mean the "It's the board game you've played all your life, but never quite like this!" shtick didn't imply to you that the TV show was based on a board game?  :-p
[snapback]104677[/snapback]
[/quote]

SCRABBLE went off the air (late March '90) just days before my fifth birthday,  how could I possibly remember EVERYTHING about the show.  I didn't have any idea how the TV version was played until I read about it several months ago on one of the gs fan sites.

(I still don't know all of the rules of the bonus rounds!)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 12:49:26 AM by musicman »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 01:01:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Dec 13 2005, 10:13 PM\']Music Man wrote:
For me, it was SCRABBLE. The first time I heard about a Scrabble board game, I thought it was based on the TV show.
You mean the "It's the board game you've played all your life, but never quite like this!" shtick didn't imply to you that the TV show was based on a board game?  :-p
[snapback]104677[/snapback]
[/quote]
It was the same for me. See, I was 2 when I was watching the reruns. This was back when I thought the host was named Chuck Whoo-weeee! :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 01:01:48 AM by whoserman »

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 03:58:21 AM »
When I watched Trump Card, I could swear that game show was derived from a simple parlor game called bingo.  The first round dealt with completing a row of numbers(the center one).  The 2nd round involved all 4 corners.  The last main game round had players filling out the rest of their cards.  Theere were bonuses for being the first player to do each task.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 08:23:35 AM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 12:48 AM\']SCRABBLE...

(I still don't know all of the rules of the bonus rounds!)
[/quote]

That's okay.  Chuck had a little trouble with the rules, too.
czambo@mac.com

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2005, 06:39:37 PM »
It took me a little while to notice that What's My Line? and The Name's the Same were basically specialized versions of Twenty Questions.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

musicman

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 12:35:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 08:23 AM\']That's okay.  Chuck had a little trouble with the rules, too.
[snapback]104705[/snapback]
[/quote]
I do have a video clip of the first sprint in the game on my computer,  are there any clips of the "bonus" sprints?

mmb5

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 04:13:13 PM »
Seven Keys is basically Chutes and Ladders.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 08:15:31 PM »
Blockbusters started out as Hex.

http://www.microring.it/hex/

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2005, 12:18:54 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 01:01 AM\']It was the same for me. See, I was 2 when I was watching the reruns. This was back when I thought the host was named Chuck Whoo-weeee! :)
[snapback]104684[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sang?
@lambertman

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2005, 05:53:33 PM »
Brother - next thing you know, someone'll tell me Camouflage came from those "find the hidden object" pages in the kids' magazines, Lingo sprung from Jotto, and Gambit was from some kind of gambing game. If that's true, maybe my new show idea has a chance - Celebrity Checkers! 12 celebs in red sweatshirts, 12 in black sweatshirts, and when a contestant answers a question correctly, he/she tells one of their celebrities where to move on a giant floor checkerboard! Naturally, the celebs will have to "jump" over each other, leapfrog style (Florence Henderson, jump over Coolio), and when you get one of your celebs to the other end of the board, they get "kinged" by carrying a celebrity on their backs (Congratulations, Tim Conway! Horatio Sanz, make him a king!). When you clean off your opponent's celebs, you get $250 for each of your stars still on the board!

Well, it's probably got a better chance than Celebrity Chess..unless the shows can straddle.....
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 05:54:45 PM by The Ol' Guy »