Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Randy Amasia memories  (Read 2821 times)

narzo

Randy Amasia memories
« on: December 07, 2005, 06:14:10 PM »
I really hope this isn’t construed as too off topic but I have a request from everyone.  As we approach 4 years since the sad day when we lost Randy Amasia I want to put together a tribute to him on an upcoming episode of my podcast.  I had the great pleasure of meeting him in 2000 so I have my memories but I would like to hear from others.  

If you could please e-mail me something short, a few paragraphs, of your memories to shawn@shawnshow.com (shawn@shawnshow.com) I would be grateful.  Maybe you met him in person, maybe he introduced you to Krispy Kreme (as he did me), any memories are welcome.  I want people outside of the game show world to learn about this wonderful person.  It doesn’t have to be anything too in depth, as much or as little as you like is welcome.

Thanks

-Shawn

narzo

Randy Amasia memories
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 12:10:43 AM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' date=\'Dec 7 2005, 06:14 PM\']I really hope this isn’t construed as too off topic but I have a request from everyone.  As we approach 4 years since the sad day when we lost Randy Amasia I want to put together a tribute to him on an upcoming episode of my podcast.  I had the great pleasure of meeting him in 2000 so I have my memories but I would like to hear from others. 

If you could please e-mail me something short, a few paragraphs, of your memories to shawn@shawnshow.com (shawn@shawnshow.com) I would be grateful.  Maybe you met him in person, maybe he introduced you to Krispy Kreme (as he did me), any memories are welcome.  I want people outside of the game show world to learn about this wonderful person.  It doesn’t have to be anything too in depth, as much or as little as you like is welcome.

Thanks

-Shawn
[snapback]104116[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well I guess time does change things.  It was 4 years ago today we all learned that Randy was no longer with us.  For those of you that are new to game show message boards you have no idea what a big figure he was in our lives.  I guess that’s why I'm a bit saddened that I've had 2 responses to my remembrance request, and nobody has mentioned this day on the board yet.  

I suppose it's no different than how other "special" days seem to lose their importance over time.  November came and went with hardly a mention of the Kennedy assassination or the Jonestown massacre anniversary.  Life goes on, and I guess it should be that way.

Some of you reading this were with me on the old newsgroup 10 years ago and know what this man, and this day means.  Just know you're not alone in remembering Randy four years later.  Wherever you might be Randy, you are still missed and loved by many of us.

-Shawn
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 01:13:10 AM by narzo »

BrandonFG

Randy Amasia memories
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 12:16:22 AM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' date=\'Dec 13 2005, 12:10 AM\'][quote name=\'narzo\' date=\'Dec 7 2005, 06:14 PM\']I really hope this isn’t construed as too off topic but I have a request from everyone.  As we approach 4 years since the sad day when we lost Randy Amasia I want to put together a tribute to him on an upcoming episode of my podcast.  I had the great pleasure of meeting him in 2000 so I have my memories but I would like to hear from others. 

If you could please e-mail me something short, a few paragraphs, of your memories to shawn@shawnshow.com (shawn@shawnshow.com) I would be grateful.  Maybe you met him in person, maybe he introduced you to Krispy Kreme (as he did me), any memories are welcome.  I want people outside of the game show world to learn about this wonderful person.  It doesn’t have to be anything too in depth, as much or as little as you like is welcome.

Thanks

-Shawn
[snapback]104116[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hard to believe it's been 4 years. RIP

I'm wondering though, should this be moved to the Birthday/Obits board. I know it's usually reserved for celebrities, but Randy WAS popular with most of the posters...

Just a thought.

Well I guess time does change things.  It was 4 years ago today we all learned that Randy was no longer with us.  For those of you that are new to game show message boards you have no idea what a big figure he was in our lives.  I guess that’s why I'm a bit saddened that I've had 2 responses to my remembrance request, and nobody has mentioned this day on the board yet.  

I suppose it's no different than how other "special" days seem to lose their importance over time.  November came and went with hardly a mention of the Kennedy assassination or the Jonestown massacre anniversary.  Life goes on, and I guess it should be that way.

Some of you reading this were with me on the old newsgroup 10 years ago and know what this man, and this day means.  Just know you're not alone in remembering Randy four years later.  Wherever you might be Randy, you are still missed and loved by many of us.

-Shawn
[snapback]104558[/snapback]
[/quote]
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

whewfan

Randy Amasia memories
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 01:48:01 PM »
I met Randy at GSC8 in 1998. He was an enthusiastic man and a major highlight of the GSC. It's fortunate that we have video footage of the event. Those that were there won't forget the impromptu rice fight, his one roll of SHOWDOWN, his rendition of Wizard of Odds. In his last days, he was a little bitter with me about my interview with Whew contestant Howard Wilson, but I never lost any respect for him.

GS Warehouse

Randy Amasia memories
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 12:14:15 AM »
Randy and I never got along that well, but I wouldn't wish his fate on anyone.  I watched those Whew! clips from Klauss's site in his memory.  The fact he was a behavioral pyschology major in college explains a lot.

Can I get anyone a screwdriver with extra orange screws? :-)

Sonic Whammy

Randy Amasia memories
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 12:23:38 AM »
Oh wow... I was actually talking about this the other day with my wife Andrea. And that just caught me by surprise that yesterday the 12th was the day.

Even I'll agree that Randy was a complete class act. We never got to talk much, but the conversations we did have were long, meaningful, and taught more about game shows than I realized I could know.

What really cemented Randy as a great friend in my heart was the first and only time I ever got to meet him, and it was just before he died. That same year in July of 2001, Andrea and I got married and we honeymooned in Disneyland. When I told Randy about it, he agreed to meet us for dinner one night, and the company was excellent. Even Andrea, who's not as huge on game shows as I am, really was happy he came to see us. It was more of a gift than any other present we could ask for.

Two years ago, thanks to Jason Hernandez, I finally got to see his Whew performances, and I cherish those DVD's to this day. Heck, I try to use the Whew format in my math classes from time to time. It's been tricky, but it's getting there.

And to this day, whenever I pass my grandfather's grave when travelling, I send two kisses up to the heavens. One's for my grandpa (whose b-day was in December), and the other's for Randy.

We miss you, Randy. It's not the same without you.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now