Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's the first game show you saw in person?  (Read 19410 times)

tomobrien

What's the first game show you saw in person?
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2004, 12:11:09 PM »
Hmmm...come to think of it, never seen a show that I haven't been a contestant on!

Local: Team captain on "It's Academic," Chicago in '73.  Went down to ignominious defeat when my two other team members both developed total stage fright.
National: "Jeopardy," '84.  Another humbling defeat: the two of us who were $100 apart for the lead both bet big against each other, lost and handed the victory to the third guy.  Got to meet Alex...not the most enjoyable person to be around.
"Millonaire," '00.  Did slightly better there.  Had a heck of a lot more fun.

gsnstooge

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2004, 02:54:38 PM »
In The Know, a local game show for PBS in Central Ohio.  I was on the show and had to repeat my name several times because of technical difficulties.  The host, Bill Schiffman gave terrible jokes off camera.  The set IS the definition of cheap set, even if it isn't a national game show.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 01:57:25 PM by gsnstooge »

ChuckNet

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2004, 10:12:22 PM »
My first GS was WoF when it came to Radio City Music Hall in Oct. 1988...didn't see another one until TPiR in Jul 1997.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2006, 06:27:54 PM »
Let's see...the first one where I actually witnessed a taping would be "Double Talk" from 1986 or 1987. Went with a teen bowling league for a fundraiser. It was a soap stars week (the first three shows of that week).

I also attended the 5000th episode of TPiR. You'll see me in the Cal State L.A. sweatshirt when I stood up and applauded one of the contestants. I had no relation to the contestant and I had no idea why I did that. I just did, and I wound up on tape.

Also attended about a dozen live shows of "WWTBAM - Play It!" at Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim (now closed). The first was in October 2001; the last was in January 2004.  You could say I did all right playing that game. (:))

--Charlie, MPW
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2006, 06:37:58 PM »
'Jeopardy!' at the University of Washington in 1999 or 2000....can't remember which year.
--Matt

TimK2003

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2006, 08:03:38 PM »
1st Show?  Hmmm.

NBC Burbank, March 1987, "Super Password" (w/ 2 unmemorable celebs).

And IIRC as soon as SP was through taping, we went back onto Alameda Ave and got in the line for "Hollywood Squares" w/ Uncle Miltie, The Smothers Brothers, and Charo to name a few.

I have one of the HS eps on tape, but never saw/taped the SP eps as it was never aired in Toledo due to having a noon newscast, and the GSN run still has a ways to go before they rerun it as of last check.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2006, 09:14:37 PM »
When this thread started three years ago, I had never seen a game show taping (closest thing for me was seeing the HSq 3x3 grid at the NBC Studio tour in beautiful midtown Burbank, circa March 1980) .  Two summers ago, that changed when I decided I really wanted to see TPiR (not to be a contestant, but just to go).  And I'll be attending another TPiR taping this July.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

trainman

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2006, 12:43:26 AM »
"Illinois Instant Riches" at WGN-TV studios in Chicago in the spring of 1996, along with a couple other members of this board, at the invitation of "IIR" intern Aaron Solomon.

I was supposed to go to a taping of "Family Feud" at some point during the 1999-2000 season -- again, at the invitation of Aaron Solomon -- but the taping was canceled due to an injury suffered by Louie Anderson and I never "rescheduled."

So my first "real" game show taping was "TPIR" in May 2005 with some folks from a non-game-show-related board.  Aaron Solomon was not involved.
trainman is a man of trains

BrandonFG

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2006, 12:47:15 AM »
Almost three years later, I still can only claim that I saw a Street Smarts street segment taped in NYC. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GS Warehouse

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2006, 01:01:49 AM »
Over 2½ years ago, I said:
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Aug 19 2003, 12:38 PM\']... [T]he lottery had a promotion where they toured local malls and sweepstakes winners spun a wheel for cash and lottery tickets.  It's the closest I've ever come to seeing a game show in person.
[snapback]7170[/snapback]
[/quote]
After looking back at some of the other replies, I just remembered that there was a Remote Control tour that came to my hometown circa 1988 or '89.  My sister and I went to see it, and Ken Ober was there, but I don't remember whether Colin Quinn was.  I do, though, recall the game started with four players.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2006, 01:04:44 AM »
The first game show I saw in person just happened to be the one that I was also a contestant on...

...but since I was the first game being taped for the day, I opted to watch the second game of "wheel of fortune" taped anyway (so it counts either way).

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2006, 01:39:47 AM »
Can't say I've ever had the opportunity, living in the midwest.  Hope to be afforded the opportunity soon.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Monarx

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2006, 01:57:56 AM »
Closest thing I've come is the Double Dare live tour.  Lots of people didn't know how many obstacles were in the obstacle course.
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

BrandonFG

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2006, 02:12:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Monarx\' date=\'Mar 14 2006, 01:57 AM\']Closest thing I've come is the Double Dare live tour.  Lots of people didn't know how many obstacles were in the obstacle course.
[snapback]112826[/snapback]
[/quote]
Come to think of it, I went to one for Guts and Nick Arcade, back in 1993. I won a hat for knowing Moira Quirk was a commentator on Guts.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2006, 10:20:12 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 13 2006, 11:47 PM\']Almost three years later, I still can only claim that I saw a Street Smarts street segment taped in NYC. :-P
[snapback]112813[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, if that counts, then I saw that in Chicago as well (and while I wasn't on, when I saw Nicotero at the WMLL show before last year's Congreff, he recognized me from having been in the crowd and chatting with him afterwards).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)