Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pricing Game Tweaks  (Read 8972 times)

Robert Hutchinson

Pricing Game Tweaks
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2005, 04:53:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Oct 28 2005, 12:10 PM\']Remember, the object of this game is to figure out the actual price of the item.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the object of the game is to make a better blackjack hand for yourself than the one dealt for the house. Knowing the prices helps, but it's hardly required. Even the worst players are still pretty much playing a blackjack hand (stopping at 14 or whatever).

("I *suggest* you *hit*, sir."
"I *also* like to live dangerously.")
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

CarShark

Pricing Game Tweaks
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2005, 03:46:30 PM »
I've always thought that they could do Clearance Sale without being a thinly veiled copy of Eazy Az 1-2-3. They could have the contestant match discounts to sale prices. I think it would go like this:

Barker: That dinette is not $1080. That motorcycle is not $500. That grandfather clock is not $2100. Those prizes are on sale. It's a clearance sale. You have to put the right discount on each prize. Here are the discount tags: 10% off, 25% off, 40% and 75%. (hands tags to contestant) Do be careful, because one tag doesn't belong with any prize. Go!

(contestant puts the 75% tag on the motorcycle, the 25% tag on the grandfather clock, and the 10% tag on the dinette, and goes back to Barker)

Barker: OK, what is the price of the motorcycle? (Rebecca lifts the tag) $2,000, so it must be 75% off, right? (another flip confirms it) I should hope so. What is the price of the clock, Gwendolyn? (she lifts the tag) $2,800, for a discount of...(another flip)...25%! Y'know, you just might have won this. If that dinette is 10% off at $1080, then all three prizes are yours. Rachel, what is the price of the dinette? (she lifts the tag) $1800. The discount is...(final flip)...40%. <buzz, losing horns> I'm sorry. (shakes contestant's hand) We'll have another game after this announcement.

Soooooo...Whaddya think? Too much math? Too long? Too hard? I think I posted this idea somewhere before, but I'm not sure.

Five bucks says that either Lemon or Howard makes a joke about "long and hard"!

jmangin

Pricing Game Tweaks
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2005, 03:52:52 PM »
The discount price is a cool idea, but in order to make it a little easier to calculate mentally, you might want to give the contestant the prices and make the percentage discount attached to each prize.

Prizes:
Motorcycle: 75% Off
Clock:  25% Off
Dinette:  10% Off

Here are four prices:  $500, $1080, $2100, $2399

Put the right price on each prize so the percentage discount is correct.  One is a dud.

A good idea--but may confuse people who are not mathematically inclined.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pricing Game Tweaks
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2005, 03:58:51 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 12:52 PM\']The discount price is a cool idea, but in order to make it a little easier to calculate
[snapback]100868[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not to mention that the average viewer wouldn't be able to tell at a glance why someone lost.

Great for math geeks (and I say that as a math geek), not so good for broadcast.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Pricing Game Tweaks
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2005, 04:02:43 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 04:46 PM\']
Soooooo...Whaddya think? Too much math? Too long? Too hard? I think I posted this idea somewhere before, but I'm not sure.

[snapback]100866[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm gonna leave the obligatory joke to Lemon...but I don't like this idea at all. I see enough contestants with bad math skills on TPIR- I don't need to see a game that would become virtually impossible to win add to the problem (that of course, is if they made the changeover).

I don't know what's worse- this idea, or Travis' Dice Game change (I can see at least 40 things wrong with it, if you know what I mean). No offense intended to either of you guys, though.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Pricing Game Tweaks
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2005, 04:04:22 PM »
Anything involving percentages is going to confuse almost every contestant that plays the game. I think CarShark's idea could work if instead of saying "25% off," the tag said "$700 off" (and so on).

Yes, there are similarities to Barker's Bargain Bar, but you're going to get a blank stare if you tell a contestant "Place the tag on the prize which has a price that is 75% less than its retail price."

Besides, most prizes have weird prices that don't lend themselves to percent discounts that don't get into some number of cents.

--
Scott Robinson

Steve Gavazzi

Pricing Game Tweaks
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2005, 08:33:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 04:58 PM\'][quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 12:52 PM\']The discount price is a cool idea, but in order to make it a little easier to calculate
[snapback]100868[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not to mention that the average viewer wouldn't be able to tell at a glance why someone lost.

Great for math geeks (and I say that as a math geek), not so good for broadcast.
[snapback]100869[/snapback]
[/quote]

I gotta agree.  This couldn't work in practice...but damn, I wish it could.