Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN September Ratings - Ouch  (Read 8081 times)

Fedya

GSN September Ratings - Ouch
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 08:41:42 PM »
Casey didn't say classic; he said 'traditional'.  Lingo is a traditional game show.

Granted, Love Connection isn't a game show, but Casey's point is by no means unreasonable.  Almost everything leading up to Millionaire is what the average person (ie. not hardcore fans like us) would think of when they think "game show".
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

CaseyAbell

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 08:34:48 AM »
We're still having arguments about Love Connection? Of course, Fedya's right. Outside the hardest-core precincts of game show fandom, everything on the GSN schedule up to prime time Millionaire would be considered very traditional game shows...including the Chuck Woolery dating game (EOTVGS, p. 130).

And if you think those shows don't attract the traditional game show audience, take a peek at the ads on GSN: adult diapers, osteoporosis drugs, old-age life insurance, scooters, etc., etc.

So it's hard for me to imagine that Millionaire has weakened because GSN's schedule is somehow driving away the traditional game show audience. Rerun burnout looks like a lot more likely culprit for Regis' decline.

Now that I look at the full schedule, a lot of shows after prime time Millionaire would be universally considered traditional game shows: Lingo, Greed, Millionaire (again), Match Game, Street Smarts, WBSM, Beat the Clock, What's My Line. The schedule is even more traditional than I thought it was.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 09:59:51 AM by CaseyAbell »

sshuffield70

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 09:37:50 AM »
True, but I see more ads for the drecks that you didn't mention, along with a lot of the over-50 commercials.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 09:45:29 AM »
Well, yeah, if you consider Amazing Race or the poker shows dreck. I happen to like them. I also like the pool show and dodgeball, though they seem to be fading away from the schedule. Dodgeball is down to two showings a week and the pool show is hanging on with only one (non-prime time) showing.

But any network is going to run lots of promos for its shows. The real indicators of a network's audience are the ads from outside sources. You don't see ads for Eminem CD's on GSN.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 09:48:50 AM by CaseyAbell »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2005, 10:40:04 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 05:34 AM\']We're still having arguments about Love Connection?
[snapback]101577[/snapback]
[/quote]
Nope. I'm not arguing at all.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2005, 10:45:12 AM »
I would chalk up the low ratings to the hurricane coverage on the other nets, rather than blaming indivdual shows.  Even the oldsters were watching Fox News in September.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.