Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pilot to American Version of Countdown  (Read 4826 times)

Brig Bother

Pilot to American Version of Countdown
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 06:32:07 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 14 2005, 07:29 PM\']Which is what I was going to say--created by Brit Charlie Parsons and first aired in Sweden.  All Burnett did with it is execute the format better than anyone else.
[/quote]

Expedition Robinson is still going and still appears to be pulling in the viewers. Interesting, it seems to be set on different islands in the same group of islands each year, and all the other foreign versions (like the Dutch/Belgian co-production Expeditie Robinson) use the same islands and challenges each year, but put their own twists on the format.

And I will add that Australia may have "Temptation," but they also have "Australian Idol" and the U.S. versions of "Survivor" and "TAR" (something tells me that an Australian version of "Survivor" has at least been considered).  And "The Chair" came from our friends in New Zealand, even if "The Chamber" came from dick clark productions.
[snapback]99511[/snapback]

There already has been an Australian Survivor but it was a bit of a flop.

I've said it a number of times, but Aussie game shows really are superbly done considering the comparitively small audience they play to.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 06:32:50 PM by Brig Bother »

rebelwrest

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2005, 09:12:23 PM »
Now, wait a second. Survivor is purely American, but where, pray tell, did we get American Idol from, Mr. Odor? *cough*bloody wankers*cough

Don't forget that the Brits named I'm A Celebrity Get Me out of Here as one of the top ten shows ever aired on ITV.

If Countdown ever airs in the U.S., it could possibly get a good audience in the late afternoon (when people come home from work and school).

It seems like "Countdown" would be one show that would work if they simply ran the British version here, aside from the occasional "colour" rather than "color." It would be a very inexpensive experiment.

I hope BBC America picks up on that idea, and yes, BBC America has aired Channel 4 Shows.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2005, 09:30:08 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 14 2005, 02:29 PM\'][quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Oct 14 2005, 06:16 AM\'][quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 14 2005, 02:18 AM\']Now, wait a second.  Survivor is purely American
[/quote]

Apart from the quite important Swedish and British bits.
[snapback]99496[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which is what I was going to say--created by Brit Charlie Parsons and first aired in Sweden.  All Burnett did with it is execute the format better than anyone else.
[/quote]
Whoops.  My bad.

Brandon Brooks

uncamark

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 06:33:34 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' date=\'Oct 14 2005, 08:12 PM\']
It seems like "Countdown" would be one show that would work if they simply ran the British version here, aside from the occasional "colour" rather than "color." It would be a very inexpensive experiment.

I hope BBC America picks up on that idea, and yes, BBC America has aired Channel 4 Shows.
[snapback]99534[/snapback]
[/quote]

It's a longshot if they pick it up (especially with the only eps available for now having a dead host)(, but I even have the sell line for the promo:

"Vanna turns letters [yes, I know she touches them, but play with me]--Carol solves tricky math problems in her head!"

(clip of Carol doing just that)

"'Countdown'--Britain's favorite brain game, weekdays at 5 Eastern on BBC America."