Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Johnny, tell them what they've won!"  (Read 16899 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
"Johnny, tell them what they've won!"
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 03:07:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 01:54 AM\']As for PNC...Those monkeys that work for Aramark have NO CLUE about Primanti's sammitches...Again, I'd have to go to one of the real establishments and get the REAL product vs. what is a overpriced clone. 
[/quote]
Aramark.  (I thought they provided business with things like shirts and rugs)
Is that one of those food contract companies like Sodexho and The Swanson Corp?  If so...they have some of the worst recipies for food...ever.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 03:27:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 12:07 AM\']Aramark.  (I thought they provided business with things like shirts and rugs)
Is that one of those food contract companies like Sodexho and The Swanson Corp?  If so...they have some of the worst recipies for food...ever.
[snapback]98131[/snapback]
[/quote]
So, let's see. You have no idea what this company even IS, and you're saying their food is terrible. Do you realize just how ignorant that make you sound?

(Aramark, by the way, handles the concessions at the HP Pavilion at San Jose, home of the Sharks. The hamburgers aren't spectacular. The rest of the food is outstanding. I long for Tank Nachos.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 03:35:13 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 02:27 AM\']So, let's see. You have no idea what this company even IS, and you're saying their food is terrible. Do you realize just how ignorant that make you sound?
[/quote]
I was simply saying that my experience with company similar to Aramark weren't very spectacular.

Now that I think about it, however, I'm positive they do the concessions for some of the NASCAR tracks...specifically Michigan...the lunch they served the media members was less than desirable.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 03:36:35 AM by Modor »
--Mark

clemon79

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 03:52:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 12:35 AM\']Now that I think about it, however, I'm positive they do the concessions for some of the NASCAR tracks...specifically Michigan...the lunch they served the media members was less than desirable.
[/quote]
Wrong again, chief. According to this, the concessions at MIS are handled by Americrown, who, if your review is true,  apparently serves mediocre food to racing fans around the country.

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005, 04:18:58 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 02:52 AM\']According to this, the concessions at MIS are handled by Americrown, who, if your review is true,  apparently serves mediocre food to racing fans around the country.
[/quote]
Ah. I stand corrected, at least as far as the companies go.  Americrown's food remains as less-than-impressive.
--Mark

DrBear

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 07:21:10 AM »
Concessions cost too much, unless you've won big on a game show (there's the connection!)

I much prefer tailgating at Miller Park. Best-smelling parking lot in baseball.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

jbrocato

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2005, 04:54:27 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 29 2005, 12:17 PM\'][quote name=\'jbrocato\' date=\'Sep 29 2005, 04:41 AM\']At Busch Stadium, in its final regular-season week (sigh),
[/quote]
While Busch was _almost_ tolerable following the remodel, when they moved the scoreboard to the outfield upper-deck seats and put in real grass, the idea of someone mourning the loss of the last late-60's/early-70's cookie-cutter ballpark (seeing as Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Cincinnati, and Philadelphia are all in new homes; while RFK (only tenuously part of the cookie-cutter movement anyhow) has been brought out of the mothballs, it's only until their new park gets built) reminds me of the people who were actually sorry to be seeing the Kingdome go when we blew the damned thing up, while those of us with any sense were dancing a freakin' jig. :)
[snapback]98063[/snapback]
[/quote]

Have you seen the new ballpark in St. Louis?  It is ugly and the $360 million the state gave for its construction bankrupted Missouri's education budget.  I am a teacher and have had situations with 30 students in a class to pay for that new stadium.

Once they put in the manual scoreboard and natural grass, Busch became a decent ballpark.  It's too bad it was downtown instead of a convenient interstate location, such as Kansas City's Kauffman Stadium.

John Brocato

clemon79

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2005, 05:22:56 PM »
[quote name=\'jbrocato\' date=\'Oct 1 2005, 01:54 PM\']Have you seen the new ballpark in St. Louis?
[/quote]
Not in person, of course, but I've seen lots of stuff about it online. I think it looks superb and I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished and filled up with fans.
It is ugly and the $360 million the state gave for its construction bankrupted Missouri's education budget.  I am a teacher and have had situations with 30 students in a class to pay for that new stadium.
Ah, so that's what this is about.

Everything I'm reading indicates that only $45 million of that is public financing, and the rest of it is coming from the Cardinals. So which is it?
It's too bad it was downtown instead of a convenient interstate location, such as Kansas City's Kauffman Stadium.
'Cuz nothing says baseball like a stadium that is only tenuously in the city the team affiliates with. Okay.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2005, 09:18:57 PM »
Hey Phillies baseball in the late 90s was almost going to be played in a ballpark in Camden, NJ.  Yeah, I know in football the Jets and Giants play in Jersey, but a Philly team in Jersey too?!?  Almost happened.  Then the whole downtown ballpark in Chinatown thing was a fiasco and a half.  And, thus the current park in South Philly.

jbrocato

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2005, 10:53:05 AM »
Everything I'm reading indicates that only $45 million of that is public financing, and the rest of it is coming from the Cardinals. So which is it?

It's mostly public financing, more from the state and from St. Louis County than the city itself.  (The city of St. Louis is not part of St. Louis County.)  Third worst deal for local taxpayers in history only behind expanding an already-uncrowded airport and the MetroLink expansion (which is running $150 million over budget).

John Brocato

alfonzos

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2005, 01:49:54 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 01:07 PM\']There is a radio commercial running in Los Angeles that is a parody of game shows. (There are a lot of game show parody commercials. But that is a topic for another day.) Anyway, the host guy says. "Johnny, tell them what they've won!" It is so cliche that I started it wonder if it is a quote from an actual game show? Has any host ever said that on any game show? Is it a reference to Johnny Olson or Johnny Jacobs or anybody else?

Does anybody know?
[snapback]97937[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think I can answer my own question now. I was watching the pilot for We've Got Your Number when Jack Barry says those words to Johnny Jacobs. I think it is fair to assume that he has said those words on the air on some other series.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2005, 03:16:36 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Dec 5 2005, 02:49 PM\']I think I can answer my own question now. I was watching the pilot for We've Got Your Number when Jack Barry says those words to Johnny Jacobs. I think it is fair to assume that he has said those words on the air on some other series.[/quote]
Well, it's certainly fair to assume that the phrase didn't enter the public lexicon based on having been said on an unsold pilot!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

davemackey

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2005, 03:44:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 5 2005, 04:16 PM\'][quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Dec 5 2005, 02:49 PM\']I think I can answer my own question now. I was watching the pilot for We've Got Your Number when Jack Barry says those words to Johnny Jacobs. I think it is fair to assume that he has said those words on the air on some other series.[/quote]
Well, it's certainly fair to assume that the phrase didn't enter the public lexicon based on having been said on an unsold pilot!
[snapback]103890[/snapback]
[/quote]
Bob Hilton claimed in the jacket blurbs of "Weekend Dad" that he's the "Bob" in the phrase "Tell them what they've won, Bob!" - which, of course, he did for a number of years on "The Newlywed Game" (though there was no such throw-to).