Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Technology  (Read 5103 times)

jdhernandez

Game Show Technology
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 04:42:59 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 27 2005, 01:01 AM\']Come to think of it, can someone check the bidding war that got up to $31K before someone hit a Whammy (I don't have RealPlayer)? I don't remember if a split-screen was used, but it came to mind when Mark mentioned the multiple spins.
[snapback]97779[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was JUST thinking about that when I read about this!

Off the top of my head, I do recall that there was no split-screens going on between Lori and Cathy. There wasn't even a split-screen when Cathy lost the $31k. However, there was a split-screen after Randy got passed back a couple spins from Lori, and he hit a whammy! After that, there was still a split-screen going on between just Lori and Randy, even though it wasn't the last spin of the game, or someone was going to whammy out. As it turned out, Randy nailed another whammy and lost the game. (and if anybody accuses me of posting a spoiler at this point...I will drop a pizza on your head)

As some of you may recall, when Randy whammied, you could see him and Lori, and you could HEAR the whammy....but we saw no animation! Both cameras were fixed on a certain view of Randy and Lori since the split-screen was up.

This is all just off the top of my non-whooshed head, of course.
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Game Show Technology
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 04:00:00 PM »
I also seem to remember an instance where they had the split-screen up because a player had a lot of passed spins and three Whammies, but he then hit "$2000 or Lose 1 Whammy" and elected to lose the Whammy. I can't remember whether they left the split-screen going or whether they went to the over-the-shoulder shot of Peter while they got rid of the split-screen, but that could be another cause of a Whammy animation playing during a split-screen.

--
Scott Robinson

Robert Hutchinson

Game Show Technology
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 10:21:09 PM »
Based on the wealth of knowledge offered since my last post, I'm going to hazard a guess. It was the producers' intent only to go split-screen during spins where a Whammy would end the game (this included the entire subsets "one spin remaining", "three Whammies and passed spins", etc.). Not showing the animation because the camera shot wasn't correct, and not showing it because it would delay the celebration, was a happy coincidence. The director occasionally screwed up the split-screening, and animation-less non-game-ending Whammies resulted. "The end."
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Game Show Technology
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 11:49:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Sep 27 2005, 10:21 PM\']Based on the wealth of knowledge offered since my last post, I'm going to hazard a guess. It was the producers' intent only to go split-screen during spins where a Whammy would end the game (this included the entire subsets "one spin remaining", "three Whammies and passed spins", etc.). Not showing the animation because the camera shot wasn't correct, and not showing it because it would delay the celebration, was a happy coincidence. The director occasionally screwed up the split-screening, and animation-less non-game-ending Whammies resulted. "The end."
[/quote]

Actually, I think it needs to be mentioned here that they NEVER had an animation on a Whammy that ended the game. It went straight to the celebration.

jdhernandez

Game Show Technology
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 03:46:59 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Sep 27 2005, 10:49 PM\']Actually, I think it needs to be mentioned here that they NEVER had an animation on a Whammy that ended the game. It went straight to the celebration.
[snapback]97887[/snapback]
[/quote]

*goes on snippy mode*

THAT'S NOT TRUE!

I just saw this one a few days ago while I was organizing stuff. One episode had a holiday whammy playing at the very end of the game before they cut to a shot of the actual winner. There was a strange delayed win reaction there, too. Weird, no?

As for the other post, the split-screen did get screwed up, so as to cause a VERY delayed reaction on the win. The Jennie Jones episode comes to mind right now. A split-screen of the other two players (whose names escape me right now, I think I'm getting old...) was being shown, and the lady hit the whammy....

...and after a few seconds, we saw Jennie's jumping for joy that she won so unexpectedly!

.....I'm too lazy to check my own site right now. :-p
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.