Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows that were in reruns...  (Read 3233 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Shows that were in reruns...
« on: October 05, 2005, 01:49:45 AM »
Do you think its possible that shows with new runs (Example: Davidson's $100,000 Pyramid and the '93 revival of Scrabble) were hurt by their being reruns?  As if, people said: "Damn, this new stuff sucks"; and instead simply watched the "better" version on USA?

And; can anyone think of any other shows that may have fit the qualifications?

Note: Tic Tac Dough is not one; maybe for that reason.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 01:49:53 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 02:44:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 12:49 AM\']Do you think its possible that shows with new runs (Example: Davidson's $100,000 Pyramid and the '93 revival of Scrabble) were hurt by their being reruns?  As if, people said: "Damn, this new stuff sucks"; and instead simply watched the "better" version on USA?

And; can anyone think of any other shows that may have fit the qualifications?
[snapback]98654[/snapback]
[/quote]

To be honest, I doubt the casual viewer would really compare the two versions as much as we would, but if it were the case, I'd say either MG98 or CS01 vs. the GSN reruns, or Wheel and J! (when GSN was airing eps. from the 80s/early-90s). I do remember one of my college friends saying how she felt the GSN reruns of Card Sharks were far superior to the 01 version. OK, a test pattern was superior to the 01 version, but you see where I'm going with this. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 07:45:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 12:49 AM\']Do you think its possible that shows with new runs (Example: Davidson's $100,000 Pyramid and the '93 revival of Scrabble) were hurt by their being reruns?  As if, people said: "Damn, this new stuff sucks"; and instead simply watched the "better" version on USA?

[snapback]98654[/snapback]
[/quote]

Less than stellar clearances(especially for Scrabble) and a relative decline of the genre in the early 90s probably affected the shows more than reruns of a previous version being on USA. FWIW, Clark $25K Pyramid was on USA in 1991, but Clark $100K didn't debut on USA until 12/28/92, a year after Davidson's last new episodes air. The games were pretty much untouched from their previous versions, save for a few new maingame wrinkles on Davidson Pyramid and the new Bonus Sprint jackpot system on Scrabble. Other changes were aesthetic only.

The Pyramids

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 03:05:32 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 01:44 AM\'] To be honest, I doubt the casual viewer would really compare the two versions as much as we would, but if it were the case, I'd say either MG98 or CS01 vs. the GSN reruns
[snapback]98659[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ian Valentine mentioned inferior remakes in tvgameshows.net over the summer. Keeping the above shows off the air makes sense, but such a belief should not keep 'Pyramid' or John  O'Hurley 'Truth' off the network one day.