Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts Who Had Production Companies....  (Read 7654 times)

Ian Wallis

Hosts Who Had Production Companies....
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2005, 09:11:57 AM »
IIRC, the EOTVGS said 1976-77, and the good ratings led to the revival.

And more and more stations started picking up the reruns as that season went on.  In my area, WIVB was airing an forgettable soap called "All That Glitters" at 1 p.m. each day.  When the ratings tanked by the summer of 1977, "Joker's Wild" popped up in its place - so we got to see about two months worth of 1975 episodes before the new ones kicked in.  I was shocked when they promoed "Joker's Wild" returning to the schedule - back then it was almost unheard of to have syndie game show repeats.

Now...if only we could have had the late '70s "Gambit" reruns as well....   :(
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

davemackey

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2005, 11:32:32 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Sep 26 2005, 10:35 PM\']
- Was Break the Bank's presentation at NATPE before it premiered on ABC (4/12/76)?
Yes.

If so:
1) there's another show B&E sold into syndication first, then got on the network
2) why woudn't Barry host the ABC edition, unless ABC told them either Kennedy had to host or no deal?
I dunno. Was he emceeing TJW at the time? Perhaps TJW + BTB + Jack Barry Cable + KFOX + commuting to NY = too much on his plate? Also, if T.K. emceed the daytime version, ABC covered his salary. The salary of the nighttime emcee was covered by B&E, so why not pay yourself?
[snapback]97760[/snapback]
[/quote]

The network "Joker's Wild" ended in 1975, so there was no conflict there. It may have been ABC preferring Kennedy to host the show.

calliaume

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2005, 12:19:01 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Sep 27 2005, 10:32 AM\']The network "Joker's Wild" ended in 1975, so there was no conflict there. It may have been ABC preferring Kennedy to host the show.
[snapback]97795[/snapback]
[/quote]
Could be; I'm also wondering if ABC had Kennedy signed to a contract (like NBC later did) that guaranteed him a salary whether he was working or not.  Obviously Tom was the right choice for the You Don't Say revival and Break the Bank, and he wouldn't have been a good fit for The Neighbors.

uncamark

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2005, 12:23:30 PM »
And as for the end game on "BTB," I'm assuming that they intended to straddle on the network version and if "Squares" didn't have an end game then, they didn't need to have one, either.  However, I would guess that Barry and Enright decided that the weekly version, with no straddling or carryover, needed a more definitive ending than "our time has run out, since we're in the middle of a game you'll each receive the cash for each box you captured," since it didn't have a scoring system like "Squares" that allowed for a grand prize at the end.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 12:24:02 PM by uncamark »

Don Howard

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2005, 12:46:35 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Sep 27 2005, 10:32 AM\']It may have been ABC preferring Kennedy to host the show.
[snapback]97795[/snapback]
[/quote]
ABC was not alone in their preference of Tom.

tjhornikel

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2005, 11:11:52 PM »
I was shocked when they promoed "Joker's Wild" returning to the schedule - back then it was almost unheard of to have syndie game show repeats.

Now...if only we could have had the late '70s "Gambit" reruns as well....   :(
[snapback]97792[/snapback]
[/quote]

When B&E revived TJW back in 1977, they did something we commonly see in retail today: BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE. Here's what they offered: Buy the new TJW, and your station will get reruns of the CBS series for free for a certain amount of weeks.  It was a no brainer for stations on a budget.
Tom Hornikel

I did NOT push Jim Peck. I just encouraged gravity.