Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Family Feud" article  (Read 4108 times)

bclark71

"Family Feud" article
« on: September 07, 2005, 03:06:46 PM »
I'll just remove the whole thing and end this right here.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 08:18:24 PM by bclark71 »

BrandonFG

"Family Feud" article
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 07:48:21 PM »
[quote name=\'bclark71\' date=\'Sep 7 2005, 02:06 PM\']
Dawson is known for kissing each woman contestant, and executive producer Howard Felsher estimated that Dawson bussed "somewhere in the vicinity of 20,000 women contestants" over the nine years.
[snapback]96069[/snapback]
[/quote]

I thought that was Wilt Chamberlain. {rimshot}
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"Family Feud" article
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 10:08:14 PM »
(The article is 20 years old. We're covered under fair use. -CMC)

snowpeck

"Family Feud" article
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 12:49:31 AM »
Yeah.  It's not like you could link to the full text or anything.  Just having two excerpts is pretty much a waste of time to even read.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

dzinkin

"Family Feud" article
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 11:28:33 AM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' date=\'Sep 8 2005, 12:49 AM\']Yeah.  It's not like you could link to the full text or anything.
[snapback]96120[/snapback]
[/quote]
Whether you can link to the full text or not isn't an issue -- if it were, we could repost as much subscription content as we like, and that's clearly not allowed.

However, if the age of the article is an issue, then my apologies to the OP.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
"Family Feud" article
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 01:25:28 PM »
I have no inherent problem with Dave quick to correct the errors of many who post full articles - however, if somebody found a fascinating article about...I dunno, the "Rodeo Drive" pilot from an old Broadcasting magazine, would we have to settle for bits and pieces despite it only being available in old back issues?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"Family Feud" article
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 03:04:47 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Sep 8 2005, 10:25 AM\']I have no inherent problem with Dave quick to correct the errors of many who post full articles - however, if somebody found a fascinating article about...I dunno, the "Rodeo Drive" pilot from an old Broadcasting magazine, would we have to settle for bits and pieces despite it only being available in old back issues?

-Jason
[snapback]96138[/snapback]
[/quote]
If it's a few years old you may post it.

Neumms

"Family Feud" article
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 03:17:34 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 7 2005, 06:48 PM\']I thought that was Wilt Chamberlain. {rimshot}
[snapback]96089[/snapback]
[/quote]

There's a terrific story from the late sportswriter Dick Schaap. Dick was at a party standing next to Wilt and notably white-bread Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach, and says, "Between the three of us, Wilt, we've been with 20,002 women."

Wilt looks at him and says, "You know, Dick, that figure's a couple years old."

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
"Family Feud" article
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 08:03:18 PM »
Just as a general guide....Fair Use .
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Family Feud" article
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 8 2005, 05:03 PM\']Just as a general guide....Fair Use .
[/quote]
Which really doesn't mean a whit, particularly here.

The rules are what our mods say they are, and I wouldn't blame them for a bit if they erred on the side of caution and got a little more hardass about it than they probably have to, since it's their ass in the fire if someone decides to get litigious.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"Family Feud" article
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 10:25:15 PM »
I'm gambling that no copyright holder is going to get their panties in a bunch over a 20-year-old article about an erstwhile game show emcee.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 10:26:48 PM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

"Family Feud" article
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 10:35:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 8 2005, 09:06 PM\']The rules are what our mods say they are, and I wouldn't blame them for a bit if they erred on the side of caution and got a little more hardass about it than they probably have to, since it's their ass in the fire if someone decides to get litigious.[/quote]
Precisely. Plus, even that linked page was a long and detailed explanation of one university's specific stance on the issue, one which admits from the beginning that the legal boundaries are shadowy and disputed.  That doesn't really have much to do with us.

We see a logical difference between quoting a brief article from a 1985 trade magazine and cutting & pasting an Associated Press wire story from a few hours ago.  We also don't see why that should cause consternation to anyone but ourselves and the original poster, but we've given up trying to figure out what some of you are going to find to gripe about.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

"Family Feud" article
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 10:47:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 8 2005, 10:35 PM\']We see a logical difference between quoting a brief article from a 1985 trade magazine and cutting & pasting an Associated Press wire story from a few hours ago.
[snapback]96196[/snapback]
[/quote]
The AP wire story example is the kind of thing that continues to astound me.  One person who routinely posted entire same-day articles (until I threatened to pull his posting privileges entirely) actually had the nerve to complain to me, "I couldn't find a link."  I asked him, "If you don't have a link, how did you find the story in the first place?"  His sole response was "Oops."

We hope you can understand the occasional overreaction, given how often we have to deal with utter cluelessness and/or apathy from people who really ought to know better.  And here's a helpful hint: if your link is to a site that requires registration, use Google News to search a key phrase or two -- you'll probably find the same AP article on a zillion other sites, at least a few of which shouldn't require registration.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 10:49:22 PM by dzinkin »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Family Feud" article
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 11:50:29 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Sep 8 2005, 07:47 PM\']And here's a helpful hint: if your link is to a site that requires registration, use Google News to search a key phrase or two -- you'll probably find the same AP article on a zillion other sites, at least a few of which shouldn't require registration.
[/quote]
And a second one: if you CAN'T find a site that doesn't require registration, provide the link anyhow, and simply mention that it requires it, because a lot of us are running Firefox and BugMeNot anyhow, and if you aren't, you should be. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe