Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ex-game show personalities in the news  (Read 3766 times)

GS Warehouse

Ex-game show personalities in the news
« on: September 14, 2005, 11:51:26 PM »
What game show is least popular among politicians?  To Tell the Truth, of course.  [ducks dodgeballs thrown by regulars]  But seriously, they may eventually have a common bond.  ESPN reported today that Lynn Swann--yes, that Lynn Swann--is considering running for Pennsylvania governor in the future.  A little farther down the line, he may run a slant toward the White House in 2012.  Stranger things have happened.  Back in the heyday of the original What's My Line?, you'd get some strange looks if you told anyone that the star of Death Valley Days would be President someday.  And don't get me started on the Governator (himself a Dating Game contestant).

But don't expect to see Rob Paulsen in politics.  Paulsen, who won $5,000 on Scrabble in 1986, is content with voice acting.  In fact, this article on Yahoo! talks about his upcoming series for Nickelodeon, Catscratch.

Finally, just for kicks, a semi-regular on ESPN's Around the Horn, Tim Cowlishaw of the Dallas Morning News, used to wear a goatee before going clean-shaven a couple of months ago.  This reminded me of a former game show host who had a similar not-so-extreme makeover back in the late-80s--Bob Goen.  It was asked of Cowlishaw, so I'll pose this question here: How do you like your Goen, with mustache or without?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 11:52:10 PM by GS Warehouse »

Winkfan

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 01:04:13 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 08:51 PM\']Back in the heyday of the original What's My Line?, you'd get some strange looks if you told anyone that the star of Death Valley Days would be President someday.[/quote]

Or during the syndicated run of WML, nobody would've guessed that Congressman Ford or Governor Carter would have their days on Pennsylvania Avenue as well.

Finally, just for kicks, a semi-regular on ESPN's Around the Horn, Tim Cowlishaw of the Dallas Morning News, used to wear a goatee before going clean-shaven a couple of months ago. This reminded me of a former game show host who had a similar not-so-extreme makeover back in the late-80s--Bob Goen. It was asked of Cowlishaw, so I'll pose this question here: How do you like your Goen, with mustache or without?

It don't matter to me about Goen, I prefer him either way. But remember how surprised some of us (like yours truly) were when Alex Trebek did away with his mustache?

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Denise Miller of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

DrBear

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 04:42:15 AM »
Hmmm...a Lynn Swann-Nick Clooney ticket?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

sshuffield70

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:12:05 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 03:42 AM\']Hmmm...a Lynn Swann-Nick Clooney ticket?
[snapback]96849[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nah, not possible.  Lynn's actually a Republican.

geno57

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 11:23:50 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 08:12 AM\'][quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 03:42 AM\']Hmmm...a Lynn Swann-Nick Clooney ticket?
[/quote]

[snapback]96853[/snapback]
[/quote]

You mean, there are FOUR Black Republicans in the club now?

sshuffield70

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 12:01:09 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 10:23 AM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 08:12 AM\'][quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 03:42 AM\']Hmmm...a Lynn Swann-Nick Clooney ticket?
[/quote]

[snapback]96853[/snapback]
[/quote]

[snapback]96860[/snapback]
[/quote]

If anyone actually believes there are actually only four black Republicans in the whole entire USA really needs a labotomy in the worst way.  This could use that rollseye smiley right here.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 07:40:32 PM »
Won't be hard to find video to make Swann look bad...they just aired today on both local PBS stations out here, of all things, his episode on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood where he does a little ballet.  Oh, the donkeys could have a field day with that.

ChuckNet

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 12:16:09 AM »
Nah, not possible. Lynn's actually a Republican.

He actually might be OK w/Clooney...the latter, unlike most Democrats, opposes abortion and favors gun rights, which might make for a nice GS-themed bipartisan ticket.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 02:37:36 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 11:01 AM\'][quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 10:23 AM\']
[snapback]96860[/snapback]
[/quote]

If anyone actually believes there are actually only four black Republicans in the whole entire USA really needs a labotomy in the worst way.  This could use that rollseye smiley right here.
[snapback]96869[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ha! Ha!

Yep, the GOP is still the party of the Education President.

dzinkin

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 02:56:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 02:37 PM\']Yep, the GOP is still the party of the Education President.
[snapback]97045[/snapback]
[/quote]
Someone who thinks that it's reasonable to criticize a media outlet for bias while admitting he hasn't even watched it is hardly in a position to lecture anyone else on the importance of education.

Go to Democratic Underground if you want to spew Democratic Party propaganda.  And in case anyone has any ideas about spewing Republican propaganda in response, go to Free Republic.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 03:01:31 PM by dzinkin »

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 03:02:55 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 01:56 PM\']Someone who thinks it's reasonable to criticize a media outlet for bias while admitting he hasn't watched it is hardly in a position to lecture anyone else on the importance of education.
[snapback]97047[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm flattered you remember the prior exchange. I haven't seen a lot of snuff films either, but I know what they are.

dzinkin

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 03:05:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 03:02 PM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 01:56 PM\']Someone who thinks it's reasonable to criticize a media outlet for bias while admitting he hasn't watched it is hardly in a position to lecture anyone else on the importance of education.
[snapback]97047[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm flattered you remember the prior exchange. I haven't seen a lot of snuff films either, but I know what they are.
[snapback]97049[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's nice to know that you still haven't lost your penchant for making inflammatory comparisons with absolutely no factual basis.  Don't ever change; the shock might be too much to bear.