Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows and smoking  (Read 13530 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game shows and smoking
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2005, 09:29:58 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 05:38 PM\']I wholeheartedly sympathize for smokers, especially ailing ones, but trying to force people to stop is a lost cause.
[/quote]
Hey, I don't care what people do behind closed doors in the privacy of their own home. I care VERY MUCH what they do in public and how it affects the quality of the air I have to breathe too.

I also care about little kids, and if a little kid who would have smoked because someone on TV they thought was "cool" isn't exposed to it, and therefore doesn't smoke, then it's all good with me.

("But what about beer drinking! I suppose you would have that outlawed too?" Yeah. I would.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game shows and smoking
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2005, 11:05:11 PM »
youth today are fully aware of the consequences of smoking
No they're not. With all the anti-smoking publicity and information available these days, it's impossible not to know about the hazards of smoking. Yet young people continue to take up the habit. IMO they are in a state of denial concerning the adverse effects; put another way, they are victims of their own stupidity.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Game shows and smoking
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2005, 11:38:03 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 11:05 PM\']
youth today are fully aware of the consequences of smoking
No they're not.
[snapback]94267[/snapback]
[/quote]

How CAN they not be? It's less an issue of people being stupid as they are being stubborn. It's drilled into their heads constantly, by parents and such. Don't tell me that kids don't know the effects of smoking. I did when I started, and quite honestly, I didn't care.

It's not not knowing and being a victim of your own stupidity- IMO, it's knowing and not giving a crap. If you don't honestly know that smoking causes all sorts of problems (especially if you have parents who light up), then I'm sorry to say that something is wrong with you.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

beatlefreak84

Game shows and smoking
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2005, 11:39:18 PM »
put another way, they are victims of their own stupidity.

I don't know if I'd call it "stupidity," necessarily, but it definitely falls under the teen belief that they are immortal and all the bad stuff that happens to other people won't happen to them because they are young.

I have a younger brother that smoked and is a teenager, and he was fully aware of everything he is doing to himself.  His excuse was that he won't have health problems until many years after he started, hence furthering that concept of immortality.  He stopped a few months ago mainly because he couldn't afford it, but he saw what it was doing to my father, a chronic smoker who is pretty close to an oxygen tank.  BTW, I don't know a single teenager who doesn't know that smoking causes emphysema, lung cancer, adverse birth effects, etc.  They just don't think it'll happen to them; it's not until they actually see it happen to people they're close to that the point finally hits home.

Peer pressure and the belief that nothing bad will happen to them will give way to teenage smoking, IMO.  I in no way am defending the practice, but, at the same time, calling my brother "stupid" or "ignorant" is not right, either.  He was fully aware of the consequences of the decision he made and lived with them.

ObGameShows:  Garry Moore smoked frequently on "I've Got a Secret."

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

Game shows and smoking
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2005, 11:41:45 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 08:39 PM\']calling my brother "stupid" or "ignorant" is not right, either.  He was fully aware of the consequences of the decision he made and lived with them.
[/quote]
Okay, so he wasn't ignorant.

Steve Gavazzi

Game shows and smoking
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2005, 01:59:50 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 11:41 PM\'][quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 08:39 PM\']calling my brother "stupid" or "ignorant" is not right, either.  He was fully aware of the consequences of the decision he made and lived with them.
[/quote]
Okay, so he wasn't ignorant.
[snapback]94271[/snapback]
[/quote]

Damn, Chris, ya beat me to it. :-)

Seriously...yes, Anthony, it is right.  I realize you probably don't like the idea of calling your own brother stupid, but...well, in this case, he is.

Don Howard

Game shows and smoking
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2005, 02:09:23 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 10:39 PM\']I don't know if I'd call it "stupidity," necessarily, but it definitely falls under the teen belief that they are immortal and all the bad stuff that happens to other people won't happen to them because they are young.
[snapback]94270[/snapback]
[/quote]
And when they're dying and hooked up to tubes and things, some of 'em will be suing the tobacco companies for offering the product to them when all the while it was their choice to start firing up those ciggies---consequences be darned.
Yes, that's what lost us Peter Jennings. And in Peter's own words, "I was weak". He didn't blame others.
Many of you will remember the PSA done by William Talman (who played prosecuting attorney Hamilton Burger on Perry Mason) which ran after his death in the late 1960s. Near death and looking and sounding haggard [Remember: this ran after he passed away], his message would've shaken anybody up. One of the best anti-smoking messages ever. He came right out and said, "Don't be a loser". And it's what made my Dad stop smoking. Which could be a big reason why Dad's still with us.

ObGameShows: Dad tried out for The Who, What Or Where Game in 1972.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 02:06:03 AM by Don Howard »

clemon79

Game shows and smoking
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2005, 02:10:11 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 08:39 PM\']I have a younger brother that smoked and is a teenager, and he was fully aware of everything he is doing to himself.  His excuse was that he won't have health problems
[/quote]
Let me add that if I ever caught or heard about my younger brother smoking when he was a teen, he definitely would have had health problems, because I would have kicked his ass myself. :)

sshuffield70

Game shows and smoking
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2005, 08:53:48 AM »
Don, I'm not old enough to have seen the Talman PSA.  However, I think many of us did see the Yul Brenner PSA which ran under the same circumstances in the 80s.

Kevin Prather

Game shows and smoking
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2005, 01:20:06 PM »
If you haven't seen the William Talman PSA, you can view it here.

TimK2003

Game shows and smoking
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2005, 09:08:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 06:16 PM\'] I'm sick of special interest groups getting their way in this country.
[snapback]94251[/snapback]
[/quote]

I realize this thread has left the game-show stratosphere, but here's my .02:

I agree with Modor on all the 'special interest groups' who are in the minority in this country, thinking they can gain fame and fortune if they can get one of their ideas (as unreasonable as it is) forced into our daily lives.  

I'd love to see 60-Minutes, or some news organization sit down with the leader of PETA or the ACLU, and have them describe what the country's Utopian society should be in complete detail.   After awhile, these groups will start to contradict their own beliefs and soon they will be giving themselves enough slack to hang themselves.

And if that doesn't work, when the current-day majority of America becomes the minority because of the ACLU groups, then they will have to represent us since then *we'll* be in the minority as *our* civil liberties will be violated.

And yes, I favor smoke-free environments in public places.  If they want to smoke, have them all huddle together in a little alley away from the rest of us.

"And now, Back to 'Winky Dink & You, with Jack Barry".

Jimmy Owen

Game shows and smoking
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2005, 11:26:15 PM »
Have you ever noticed that smokers are allowed more work breaks during the day than non-smokers?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game shows and smoking
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2005, 02:49:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 16 2005, 10:26 PM\']Have you ever noticed that smokers are allowed more work breaks during the day than non-smokers?
[/quote]
The ever popular smoke break, yes.  That annoyed me at work.  I couldn't take a "pop break" had I wanted to.
--Mark
Phil 4:13