Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Performance art for game show geeks  (Read 1863 times)

uncamark

Performance art for game show geeks
« on: August 08, 2005, 07:00:28 PM »
I've been wanting to plug this and this is the week I have to do it--every year, Live Bait Theater in Chicago does a festival of solo performance artists called the "Filet of Solo Festival."  These aren't wacky types who smear chocolate and pasta on their naked bodies while bemoaning Evil Capitalist AmeriKKKa, but witty and literate people who have funny and even profound things to say.  An item opening this week will be of great interest to this board:

My Life in Jeopardy Written and performed by Scott Hermes. Directed by John Hildreth.
Hermes' solo work is an autobiographical tale of an unemployed father of two fulfilling his lifelong dream of appearing on Jeopardy. Follow him on his adventure to realize his dream to become the self proclaimed "King of the Nerds" by climbing the Everest of TV quiz shows.

I've seen Scott perform with the Neo-Futurists, the people behind the great participatory late-night show "Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind," and he's a pretty good guy--and if you are a game show nut, I think you'll want to see this.  The preview this Thursday night is free and you can get tickets for that at (773) 871-1212.  TicketWeb's selling tickets for the rest of his run here.  I personally recommend coming next weekend and seeing both "My Life in Jeopardy" and BoyGirlBoyGirl, four more witty people who will definitely have funny and even profound things to say about or riffing from--a Details interiew with Kevin Federline, Mr. Britney Spears.  The tickets are cheap for theater and the space they're doing the shows in only seats 40 people at the most, so it's almost like being in these peoples' living rooms.

I haven't seen "My Life in Jeopardy" yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be a lot of fun and if you're in Chicago, do check it out.

Here's Live Bait's page on the festival.