Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiL Roll Call: Atlantic City  (Read 12839 times)

SplitSecond

TPiL Roll Call: Atlantic City
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2005, 04:59:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 01:34 PM\']And I'm saying that you MAKE time to be considerate to people. There's a big difference between "My buddies call me "Giganto" because I'm big in the lap", and "I go by my middle name. See? Right here on my ID. Thanks."
[/quote]
Don't get me wrong - I think that you should be allowed to be called Chris on the show.  (I, however, will personally be calling you "Giganto" from now on, if that's okay.)  But what rules do you suggest that would allow that to happen without requiring judgment calls from the pages as to what is and isn't acceptable?  

For what it's worth, virtually every other game and reality show out there allows contestants to go by  reasonable alternate names, because the contestants are pre-booked and someone on the production staff, rather than a network page, has the time to make the call as to whether each name is acceptable.

Don't worry - there's probably some poor kid out there named Jon Cleveland Steemer who is in the exact same predicament as you. ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 05:00:52 PM by SplitSecond »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2005, 05:03:19 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 01:49 PM\']I love breaking things down for the wannabe smart types.
[/quote]
Children, once again, I offer a fine example of "irony".
I asked about your name because if it was a name that was one that was really odd I can understand your gripe all the better.
Which means, unsurprisingly, that you have completely missed my point. It's not about whether my first name is Jon, Ralph, or Buttmunch. It's a basic human courtesy that the TPiR people are shoving by the wayside in order to make their business a little easier, and I find that regrettable.
They won't for you or anyone.
Well, they certainly won't if everyone just sits quietly like sheep and don't fight for what they believe in, that's for certain. They probably won't anyhow, but at least I can look in the mirror and know I did my part.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2005, 05:11:32 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 01:59 PM\'](I, however, will personally be calling you "Giganto" from now on, if that's okay.)
[/quote]
Well, if the shoe fits. ;)
But what rules do you suggest that would allow that to happen without requiring judgment calls from the pages as to what is and isn't acceptable?
Didn't I say? If I can produce legal ID with the name in question on it, it flies. I don't see why that is difficult. It's what happens every time I buy something with my credit card and the cashier asks to see my ID.
For what it's worth, virtually every other game and reality show out there allows contestants to go by reasonable alternate names,
Good for them. I'm glad they are still willing to extend the common (if infrequently requested) courtesy. I'm saddened that TPiR feels they need to streamline their system to the point where they are not.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2005, 05:12:04 PM »
Yih, Ime uh dume, Kriss...boi tat wuz uh funi.

Yes, I make gaffes in spelling and sometimes I make errors in posts, be them grammatical or conceptual.  But no one is immune from the trials and tribulations of life.  Not me, not the other posters, not the moderators, and not you, okay?  Okay.

The common courtesy aspect is what you wanna get to...okay.  Well, they have the common courtesy to laugh at you and call you an assclown, Jonny, for being called by your middle name in lieu of your first name.  Chris, I don't have the gripe with you...we actually are very similar in sarcastic and metaphoric natures in my opinion.  But, sometimes you fight a cause that most people shrug their shoulders about.

In other words, of the people who have a gripe with it you're the minority of the minority.  I'm willing to bet a lot of folks don't care about the name they get stuck on their tag, for better or for worse.  So, thus you're in the minority.  But, Chris, you're one of the few who would challenge the point and make it known you don't accept it, thus making you the minority of the minority.  Because, while you champion a good cause, most others would just plain walk over to see Craig Ferguson.

Bottom Line, so you can editorialize: YOU'RE MAKING TOO MUCH OF IT!

BTW, on a lighter note, be glad you have a solid middle name like Christopher.  Could be worse.  Could be stuck with mine, Riley.

Hey here's a concept...let's get back to the better things about the show and the live show in general.  Someone please get us off this tangent.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 05:19:31 PM by FOXSportsFan »

SplitSecond

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2005, 05:16:37 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 02:12 PM\']Yes, I make gaffs in spelling
[/quote]
Gaffes.

SplitSecond

« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2005, 05:18:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 02:11 PM\']Well, if the shoe fits. ;)
[/quote]
What you do with your footwear on your own time is your business.

clemon79

« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2005, 05:24:21 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 02:12 PM\']Well, they have the common courtesy to laugh at you and call you an assclown, Jonny, for being called by your middle name in lieu of your first name. 
[/quote]
You are doing SUCH a good job of proving my point.

(And I tell you what. You can keep calling me "Jonny", and I'll keep calling you "assclown" until your memory improves. How's that?)
I'm willing to bet a lot of folks don't care about the name they get stuck on their tag, for better or for worse.
I'm willing to bet you're wrong. Maybe they don't care enough to say something about it, but they care.
So, thus you're in the minority.  But, Chris, you're one of the few who would challenge the point and make it known you don't accept it, thus making you the minority of the minority.
And I couldn't be prouder to be here, based on the stupidity I see surrounding me every single day. Between being a mindless sheep and attempting to improve the world around me however I can, I'll take the latter every day and twice on Sunday.
Bottom Line, so you can editorialize: YOU'RE MAKING TOO MUCH OF IT!
Did you suddenly move from the position of utter ignorance you were posting from an hour ago to an informed one? Didn't think so.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 05:27:27 PM by clemon79 »

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2005, 05:31:57 PM »
For the use of sarcasm, yes I would dredge that crap up.

For the third and last time, let's get this to something of more value about the live show than to something I started unintentionally and something Chris has blown into outer space with, eh?  Let's act like adults here, or at least attempt to.

From my visit to the show I have to say I was really impressed just how close they got to replications of everything from the doors to the lights behind the turntable to the games.  I mean I had heard that it was faithful and seen some pictures of it, but to be there gives you a true appreciation of the efforts to replicate the feel and scheme that is the real show.  The only real difference I  noted was a different color and style eggcrate in use in lieu of vein style readouts.  

I hope to make it out there once more before it closes up shop...prolly on a weekend in October or something.

clemon79

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2005, 05:59:13 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 02:31 PM\']something I started unintentionally and something Chris has blown into outer space with, eh?
[/quote]
Actually, I made an offhand comment and people jumped down MY throat about it. So I've defended my position. But, as I've said before, why deprive anyone of a perfectly good witchhunt, right?

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2005, 06:05:01 PM »
I merely meant that I started it by saying as a nothing matter, the James/Jim thingy, but hey if you wanna take claim for starting it, then be the guest on my show's panel then...I'm taking the high road for once...you wanna argue more, well I have e-mail addresses you can find fairly easily.

TimK2003

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2005, 07:24:57 PM »
If it's any consolation, Chris, If I had to be Jon Lemon on TV, but wound up winning the whole $80,000 enchilada on Golden Road, $11,000 on the Big Wheel ($1M on Primetime), and a $70,000 Double Showcase Win for a total of well over $160,000 ($1.2M if it was a Primetime Special) , then maybe it wouldn't be so bad since my so-called long-lost distant relatives would be looking for Jon Lemon instead of Chris.

dzinkin

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2005, 07:47:08 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 05:31 PM\']For the use of sarcasm, yes I would dredge that crap up.
[snapback]94801[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not on this board you won't, particularly if your sarcasm doesn't even make sense.

I still want to know what you meant when you said that Chris was "whoring."  Of course I'm assuming that you know what you meant, and it's not at all clear that you do.

davemackey

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2005, 08:02:01 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 05:31 PM\']I hope to make it out there once more before it closes up shop...prolly on a weekend in October or something.
[/quote]
From what I've heard, the whole production is moving to Harrah's for the winter. Trying to get people to go to the marina, I guess.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2005, 08:12:39 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 06:47 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 05:31 PM\']For the use of sarcasm, yes I would dredge that crap up.
[/quote]
Not on this board you won't, particularly if your sarcasm doesn't even make sense.

I still want to know what you meant when you said that Chris was "whoring."  Of course I'm assuming that you know what you meant, and it's not at all clear that you do.
[snapback]94815[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just merely used as an insult term.  I used it in the way people use bitch these days...to mean anything to anybody...and not so much its proper definition.  My apologies to the dictionary, for I have sinned.

clemon79

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2005, 08:17:41 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 05:12 PM\']Just merely used as an insult term.  I used it in the way people use bitch these days...to mean anything to anybody...and not so much its proper definition.  My apologies to the dictionary, for I have sinned.
[/quote]
And for the third time today, I say: huh?