The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Anyone remember The Guiness Game?

(1/3) > >>

Yahtzee72:
Just dug up a snippet of the great theme and it jarred my memory of this show. Don Galloway was the host and (I think) Johnny Gilbert was announcer. Looking back, it was sorta like an early US version of \"Who Dares Wins\" where a contestant would do a stunt to try and break the Guiness World Record while other contestants bet on the outcome. It ran from 1977-1978, IIRC. Interesting show, but I fear it would inflame the anti-Love Connection people if it ever showed up on GSN.

dzinkin:
Oh, I loved this show... it used to run every Saturday here.  I remember one stunt where a guy had to flip over his canoe -- while he was sitting in it -- a certain number of times; there was actually a record for that; another stunt involved singing, and holding, a note for a certain length of time.  I even recall a bit of the music played while the contestants were writing their wagers.

zachhoran:
And its packagers were the Hill-Eubanks group(Eubanks as in Bob). DIdn't Bob Hilton host part of Guinness's run too?

Jimmy Owen:
Bob Hilton hosted only the pilot, which was aired in syndication.  In my area, the pilot aired on one station while the series aired on another.  Back in the seventies, pilots for syndicated shows that would never become series were actually put on the air.  In the quasi-game show category there was \"Intuition\" hosted by Alex Trebek and \"Showdown of the Dream Teams\" which was a \"Battle of the Network Stars\" knockoff.

clemon79:
[quote name=\'Yahtzee72\' date=\'Jun 16 2003, 02:21 PM\'] Interesting show, but I fear it would inflame the anti-Love Connection people if it ever showed up on GSN. [/quote]
 Why? It qualifies more as a \"game show\" than Love Connection ever will.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version