Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Great Game Show Depression 2  (Read 9011 times)

uncamark

The Great Game Show Depression 2
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2005, 12:36:43 PM »
And isn't WOI technically licensed to Ames, where Iowa State University, the station's (former?) owner is?  I know pretty much for sure that Iowa State still owns public radio WOI AM and FM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2005, 01:43:24 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jun 21 2005, 08:50 AM\']And for what it's worth, an ID consists of call letters and city of license - no need for channel number.
[/quote]
Yeah, that much I knew from radio. When I was in college, we slipped it in anyhow - "90.7 FM, KSJS, San Jose State University, San Jose" - but I know that the actual legal part of that is "KSJS, San Jose". I was just wondering how it had to work in television, since there's the aural AND the visual you can comminucate it with.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrBear

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2005, 02:27:30 PM »
On TV it certainly can be visual; WIWB (the local WB station) is licensed to Suring, a farm community about 30 miles from Green Bay; it prints "Suring-Green Bay-Fox Cities" with its legal ID. (The station was a Pax station that bought the rights to an old Suring Christian station and moved the transmitter closer to GB).

ObGameShows: Speaking of "Airplane!" in "Airplane 2: The Sequel," Art Fleming plays a few seconds of Jeopardy! with the shuttle passengers.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Don Howard

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2005, 02:51:32 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jun 21 2005, 01:27 PM\']ObGameShows: Speaking of "Airplane!" in "Airplane 2: The Sequel," Art Fleming plays a few seconds of Jeopardy! with the shuttle passengers.
[snapback]89652[/snapback]
[/quote]
Pat Sajak plays a newscaster. Neither Pat O'Brien nor Blake Emmons appear.
I'm sure they've both watched the movie, however, and enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 02:53:12 PM by Don Howard »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2005, 03:38:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jun 21 2005, 02:51 PM\'][quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jun 21 2005, 01:27 PM\']ObGameShows: Speaking of "Airplane!" in "Airplane 2: The Sequel," Art Fleming plays a few seconds of Jeopardy! with the shuttle passengers.
[snapback]89652[/snapback]
[/quote]
Pat Sajak plays a newscaster. Neither Pat O'Brien nor Blake Emmons appear.
I'm sure they've both watched the movie, however, and enjoyed it.
[snapback]89657[/snapback]
[/quote]

And everybody knows that Richard Dawson was never approached to appear in the movie.

BrandonFG

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2005, 07:50:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jun 21 2005, 02:38 PM\']And everybody knows that Richard Dawson was never approached to appear in the movie.
[snapback]89662[/snapback]
[/quote]

Rumor has it that he was pissed that they decided to use Feud SFX in Airplane II, but not him.

Also, Robert Hays was a guest on "Reel to Reel".
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2005, 10:51:42 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 21 2005, 06:50 PM\']Also, Robert Hays was a guest on "Reel to Reel".
[snapback]89684[/snapback]
[/quote]
Was he paid?

TimK2003

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2005, 03:04:41 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jun 20 2005, 09:07 PM\']Now that I think about it, didn't WKYC in Cleveland (which also shares the same channel number as KYW/Philadelphia) have the original KYW calls?
[snapback]89575[/snapback]
[/quote]

Here is the definitive answer on how KYW came to Cleveland and how it left, with a few additional tidbits... (most of the history info was gathered from the WKYC website at wkyc.com)

1948 -- WNBK-TV, an NBC owned and operated station begins broadcasting and goes on the air October 31, 1948. From 6 p.m. until 11 p.m., viewers tune in to WNBK. Soon after, the station moved its sign-on time up to 1 p.m. WNBK was Channel 4 then, and Tom Haley, who appeared on "Today in Cleveland", worked for WTAM Radio, the NBC radio arm of WNBK.

In 1954, WNBK-TV erects the most powerful television antenna in the Midwest and the tallest in the country in suburban Parma, overlooking downtown Cleveland . With this new and improved signal, Channel 4 moves to its new location as Channel 3 and that's where it has stayed ever since.

In 1955, Westinghouse trades its Philadelphia station for NBC's WNBK-TV, moving it from Cleveland, Ohio to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. WNBK-TV and WTAM Radio become KYW-TV and KYW Radio respectively.

In 1959, Channel 3 was featuring Eyewitness News, one of the first half-hour newscasts in the country. The Channel 3 news team consisted of anchors Carl Stern and Bud Dancy, weathercaster Dick Goddard, and Jim Graner with sports.

In 1963, KYW-TV hires Mike Doud, a lounge singer to host an afternoon variety show. His name is changed to "Mike Douglas," the show became a huge success and the rest as they say - is history. The show's format called for one guest to co-host each week. It also became the springboard for many celebrities who went on to fame and fortune. For example, a 20-year-old singer from New York was paid $1,000 to co-host five 90 minute shows -- Barbra Streisand. A KYW Radio director, Tom Conway often did comedy skits. A popular performer, he tried comedy on his own, but as Tim Conway.

In 1965,  the FCC and Supreme Court rule the Westinghouse/NBC trade null and void. KYW moved back to Philadelphia, PA, taking along with it The Mike Douglas Show which went to national syndication soon after; WKYC-TV/Radio now came back to Cleveland.

(I assume Channel 3 took the calls WKYC in order to say "KY in Cleveland, as the radio jingles at the time had said.  And since they couldn't just say KYC -- new 3-lettered stations and new K stations East of the Mississippi were not allowed by then -- they put the W in front to create WKYC  Why it took 10 years for the trade to be ruled a no-no, I don't have the foggiest).

On the radio side, 50,000 Watt powerhouse WKYC-AM 1100 remained WKYC untill the early 70's (1972 or 1973?), when NBC sold the station to another company, which changed the name to WWWE (3WE). Then in the early 90's(?) WWWE reverted back to their old call letters and has since been known as WTAM.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 05:29:45 PM by TimK2003 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2005, 03:25:49 PM »
That is a good story on Mike Douglas, except that he changed his name long before the talk show started.  He was known as Mike Douglas as far back as the late '40s when he appeared on Kay Kyser's "Kollege of Musical Knowledge"  He also appeared on the NBC daytime "Club 60" out of Chicago in 57, which was hosted for a time by Dennis James.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 03:27:27 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2005, 05:11:28 PM »
Excellent synopsis on the KYW/WKYC swap, Tim. I wasn't sure of the particulars which is why I didn't reply when paged.
Just one nitpicky item. Mike's talk show started in 1961, not '63.
I didn't realize Tom Haley was there from the start. Very nice man, by the way. His on-camera politeness is not an act.
It was 1973 when WKYC Radio became WWWE (known as Country 11 during their brief term with the C&W format) and they reverted to WTAM in 1996.
"KY in Cleveland". That's what the hookers used to shout at me on Prospect Avenue.

TimK2003

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2005, 05:40:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jun 22 2005, 04:11 PM\']Excellent synopsis on the KYW/WKYC swap, Tim. I wasn't sure of the particulars which is why I didn't reply when paged.
Just one nitpicky item. Mike's talk show started in 1961, not '63.
I didn't realize Tom Haley was there from the start. Very nice man, by the way. His on-camera politeness is not an act.
It was 1973 when WKYC Radio became WWWE (known as Country 11 during their brief term with the C&W format) and they reverted to WTAM in 1996.
"KY in Cleveland". That's what the hookers used to shout at me on Prospect Avenue.
[snapback]89757[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey Don,

I collect a lot of old Cleveland radio jingles, which I use on the radio webcast.  Listening to some of those old "KY" jingles nowadays conjures up a whole lot of different images.  One in particular is a bunch of girls (perhaps cheerleaders) shouting "Let's hear it for K-Y", followed by a lot of giggling.  Keep in mind that this was done 2 years before the Summer of Love in 1967.  ;-D

uncamark

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2005, 06:46:09 PM »
Somehow, I have to bring up the famous words of WLAC Nashville's Gene Nobles a long time ago:  "That's K-Y, friends, the jelly of a thousand and one uses--and you know what that one use is."

joshg

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2005, 02:58:39 PM »
Here's more on the story, from the Philly side of things:
from http://phillymemories.tripod.com/id15.htm

The histories of channel 3 and KYW are interwoven, but are not exactly the same. Let's start with KYW, which actually began in Chicago in 1921 (which explains why it starts with a "K"). To make a long story short, KYW came to Philadelphia in 1934, moved to Cleveland in 1956, and came back to Philadelphia in June, 1965 when Westinghouse acquired NBC's channel 3 and 1060 AM. The history of ch. 3 in Philly dates back to 1932, as experimental W3XE, owned by Philco. In 1939, W3XE became the first affiliate of the NBC network, and in 1941 was granted a commercial license (only the second in the country) and became known as WPTZ. In 1953,the station was sold to Westinghouse, and in 1956, NBC acquired WPTZ through an exchange of licences with Westinghouse, sending the KYW call letters to Cleveland. Channel 3 was now known as WRCV. In June, 1965,the FCC reversed the swap, bringing the KYW call letters back to Philly. KYW began its affiliation with CBS in Sept, 1995 when Westinghouse merged with CBS. Channel 3 boasts the country's first TV soap opera (1942) and the first color broadcast (1953).
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...